Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Optical preview in live view - Manual lens

This is a K-3 with a Pentax M-1.7 50mm lens.

Using the viewfinder, pressing the green button or the DOF preview position on the power switch everything works great. The lens stops down to the aperture, the camera selects settings (green button), and the lens snaps back to full open aperture.

However, when using live view the lens does not "snap" back to full open. It somewhat slowly returns to full open while making a disconcerting noise.

Is this normal behavior? Is live view using so much power to hold the mirror up that the camera has less power left to open the aperture back up? Is the spring in the lens almost too strong for the camera in this situation?

This "problem" does not present with the Pentax 18-135mm WR lens.

I received the K-3 just two weeks ago after being pentax-less for 4 years after a theft (of my K10D). I really like how the live view helps with manual focusing with the manual lens at low aperture settings, but now i am hesitant to use it in conjuction with the green button or dof preview for fear of damage to the camera..

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited by Quaffle; 04-08-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added details
04-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just mounted my M 50/1.7 to my K-3 and put the camera in live view and M mode. As you say, the sound is somewhat different. Both the stop-down and return actions are somewhat slower with the return being significantly so (still less than 1/2s). In short, the aperture does not snap up or shut. The sound (both stop-down and return) is also different than when not in live view*. The same is also true with my FA 35/2 when the aperture ring is on other than the "A" position.

I would not be too concerned. Live view is a little different in that the aperture is usually actively controlled for normal viewing. Using a lens where this is not possible apparently changes the camera behavior. I would not be too concerned though it would not hurt to give Ricoh a call to see if they have anything to add.

Steve

(FWIW, I had never tried this before and, like the OP, was pretty surprised.)

* Both pitch and duration of both the stop-down and open sounds are different than when doing the same action when not in live view.