Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Re Batteries Quick Question

When using the grip on the k3 there is a setting for batteries i.e.

use battery in camera first or use battery in grip i think,
or use both what do others set this at on the k3
Thanks Tom G

04-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It depends on your approach to battery management. If the goal is to preserve the durability of your batteries, then always select the battery that is partially charged first, and recharge the batteries only when empty. If the goal is to avoid removing the grip, then, always select the grip battery first, use the body battery as a backup.
04-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It depends on your approach to battery management. If the goal is to preserve the durability of your batteries, then always select the battery that is partially charged first, and recharge the batteries only when empty. If the goal is to avoid removing the grip, then, always select the grip battery first, use the body battery as a backup.
Only charging when empty was for old NiCd batteries. These new Lithium-ion you charge when you want. They will not last longer if you empty them, actually it may be damaging if you empty a Lithium-ion battery and forget to charge it for some time. It may not accept charge if lower than a safety charge. So I say; Charge the batteries every time you have been using them for more than a few images.
04-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Only charging when empty was for old NiCd batteries. These new Lithium-ion you charge when you want. They will not last longer if you empty them, actually it may be damaging if you empty a Lithium-ion battery and forget to charge it for some time. It may not accept charge if lower than a safety charge. So I say; Charge the batteries every time you have been using them for more than a few images.
Keeping them always charged is not good either.

04-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Unregistered User

Keeping them always charged is not good either.
Charging it fully and then leaving it at a warm shelf for a couple of years is not so good but if you use it frequently I do not see any reason to not charging it. For long term storage charge to 40% and store it cold. Heat is the Li-Ion batterys worst enemy, environmental heat and heat when charging. My K-5 battery still works good and I bought that one feb. 2012. I use them alot so I always charge them fully after use. Always alternating them aswell.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-15-2015 at 10:17 AM.
04-15-2015, 02:48 AM   #6

Original Poster

Yes that makes sense Biz
Tom G
04-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

To be exacting, all recycling battery types have at least some initial forming factors, and no battery should be run to the edge of its full depletion. With lithium-ion, you have to work hard at abusing them to greatly reduce their potential. Still, you will get the strongest form factor by running them most of the way down the first 2-3 cycles on a new lithium-ion. From then on you can charge as you please, but if you get in the habit of charging at loss of just one bar - it is a good idea to run the battery down more on occasion. Store batteries in relatively dry and cool place.