Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2015, 04:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green Mode - Overexposure

Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone else had had issues with bad over exposing while using green mode. I normally use other program modes but my wife prefers Green Mode. The last few months I have noticed that photos taken in green mode are way blown out and overexposed. I can't figure out why. I've reset to factory settings (just in case) and have tried fiddling with other stuff (but with green mode you can't really change anything)

Has anyone else seen this or know anything about it?

Thanks!

04-15-2015, 05:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Check your +/-EV correction, it's taken into account even if you don't see the current value in M mode (K5IIs), this might be tricky.
04-15-2015, 05:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Check your +/-EV correction, it's taken into account even if you don't see the current value in M mode (K5IIs), this might be tricky.
Wouldn't that also effect other modes like Av and TAv? They are working fine, I'm at work right now and don't have my camera with me so I'll have to look at it again when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion.
04-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is a lot of setting that are locked into the default value on green mode.
I believe that FI exposure comp is unavailable in green mode.

It might be that you use non default setting in other modes that make the exposure seem different.
(light meter mode, custom image, D-range, or other setting that can make a difference.)

I checked the K3 manual, but could not find any info on what settings are locked in green mode.
On earlier models the specification of the green mode seems to be better specified in the manual.

Last edited by Fogel70; 04-15-2015 at 06:50 AM.
04-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I am not sure if it will help... nonetheless I'll just take a shot at it - it could be the default image setting (bright, natural, portrait, etc.). I usually set it to natural instead of bright which I think is the default - most people (at least the Canikon folks I know) like the bright setting in the camera - which in my book is mostly overexposed.
04-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I am not sure if it will help... nonetheless I'll just take a shot at it - it could be the default image setting (bright, natural, portrait, etc.). I usually set it to natural instead of bright which I think is the default - most people (at least the Canikon folks I know) like the bright setting in the camera - which in my book is mostly overexposed.
They are more than a little bright. They are really over exposed by a full stop at least.
04-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

2 questions:
Did you replace the focusing screen on the camera?
Are you sure it's not an issue with the metering option green mode is choosing vs the metering option you would have chosen if you were doing it yourself?

04-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
2 questions:
Did you replace the focusing screen on the camera?
Are you sure it's not an issue with the metering option green mode is choosing vs the metering option you would have chosen if you were doing it yourself?
Camera is stock. I'm unsure about the metering... Like I said, there is no way the green mode is functioning correctly, the images aren't just brighter than I would like, they are unusably blown out.
04-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You should post a sample with exif.
04-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You should post a sample with exif.
Will do when I get home. Thanks
04-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremytheIndian Quote
Camera is stock. I'm unsure about the metering... Like I said, there is no way the green mode is functioning correctly, the images aren't just brighter than I would like, they are unusably blown out.
Is it *every* photo, or just some photos?

Like, if it decided to use spot metering and she was pointing the spot at something really dark and the rest of the image was pretty bright, it would blow out most of the image. Like photographing a person, the camera might focus on dark hair or clothing and wash out facial features, etc.

Sample images with exif will help diagnose it, no doubt.

The highlight protection setting, whatever it's called, might also help
04-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For me, in certain situations, I usually underexpose by a stop because I don't want to clip the highlights or just like to start darker and work my way up.

Yes, I have noticed that in M mode or all modes for that matter, that I find it more pleasing to my eye to underexpose and needed in my K-30.
04-18-2015, 05:15 AM   #13

The last few months I have noticed that photos taken in green mode are way blown out and overexposed.
Do you see this over-exposure on JPGs only, or also on her RAWs (DNGs)?

Like, if it decided to use spot metering and she was pointing the spot at something really dark and the rest of the image was pretty bright, it would blow out most of the image.
You cannot switch to spot metering when in a greenmode.

Like I said, there is no way the green mode is functioning correctly, the images aren't just brighter than I would like, they are unusably blown out.
Does she use the flash?

The last few months I have noticed that photos taken in green mode are way blown out and overexposed. I can't figure out why. I've reset to factory settings and have tried fiddling with other stuff
How did you set Menu C 4., 5. and 6. Auto EV Compensation?

Last edited by Prakticant; 04-18-2015 at 05:24 AM.
04-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
You cannot switch to spot metering when in a greenmode.
I didn't say "you," I said "it"
Maybe the camera won't choose spot metering. I don't know. I've never had any reason to use green mode.
05-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Do you see this over-exposure on JPGs only...
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
For me, in certain situations....
I didn't say "you," I said "it"
Maybe the camera won't choose spot metering...
Hey guys thanks for caring and taking time to post.... BUT... I am an idiot. I took the time to figure out which LENS was giving me the problem aaaaannnnddd... The aperture arm on my DA* 50-135 is stuck

She is now sitting in some cold dark room with Mack Camera getting examined (luckily my three year extended warranty isn't up until Sept) ::Fingers crossed::

On a better note... my Tammy 17-50 2.8 is still working splendidly.

TL;DR Thought it was randomly blowing out photos... turns out it was just my messed up fancy DA* lens