Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 03:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Seems like one has to fork out the bucks and buy a K3II in order to have the full advantage of the new 150-450 (and the others listed in your post).
And if you do have the K3II BUT not one or all of the listed lenses above .... bad luck.
Might as well mention (Ricoh should mention, that is) that " you'd better get the K3II if you want our new lenses to perform well." ?

JP
The new lenses will work well on older bodies but not as well as they could because the lense has some new internal feature only the new camera is able to handle.

05-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The new lenses will work well on older bodies but not as well as they could because the lense has some new internal feature only the new camera is able to handle.
Not at all likely. The image-capturing hardware appears to be the same - K-3 and K-3ii - unless you consider internal flash as related to image-capturing in which case the new camera has been de-contented. If Ricoh denies firmware updates to the K-3 that are going into the K-3ii, then give me back Hoya management who understood the need to keep the vast majority of the user base happy. Canon does that (7D update) - and that is part of what makes them #1.
05-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Not at all likely. The image-capturing hardware appears to be the same - K-3 and K-3ii - unless you consider internal flash as related to image-capturing in which case the new camera has been de-contented. If Ricoh denies firmware updates to the K-3 that are going into the K-3ii, then give me back Hoya management who understood the need to keep the vast majority of the user base happy. Canon does that (7D update) - and that is part of what makes them #1.
According to asahi man there is a small hardware change behind the 86,000p light-metering / AF sensor that assists the new AF system. But there is supposedly also a major FW Update coming for K-3 and 645z such that they will receive much benefit from improved AF software. According to Jim Malcolm, Ricoh's camera division culture has always been to extend improvements to discontinued cameras through FW Uodates whenever hardware would permit. He says Pentax has adopted that cultural hallmark

If Ricoh erred at all in their design decisions for K-3II it was in failing to develop a small P-TTL flash to complement the AF201G.
05-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If Ricoh erred at all in their design decisions for K-3II it was in failing to develop a small P-TTL flash to complement the AF201G.
You just had to open that can of Annelids, didn't you? Toy flashes belong on toy cameras.

I've had my K-30 for almost 3 years, I don't feel deprived with its slower frame rate, lack of second SD card, unavailability of a battery grip, lower resolution or even lack of a microphone input or HDMI output. But I guarantee the next body I buy will have better AF.

05-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
You just had to open that can of Annelids, didn't you? Toy flashes belong on toy cameras.

I've had my K-30 for almost 3 years, I don't feel deprived with its slower frame rate, lack of second SD card, unavailability of a battery grip, lower resolution or even lack of a microphone input or HDMI output. But I guarantee the next body I buy will have better AF.
All good points. I'm the one who brought up the flash. Blame me.

Those of us who need video on occasion really benefit from the very-much improved audio on the K-3 - and marginally improved video. If you get paid on occasion, or need it for a work side-line - video usually comes up. So, mic-in is nice. The main reasons for me the K-30 had to be replaced was the extreme shutter noise, and I just didn't have confidence in the durability. That said, it was the first time I had purchased a Pentax that wasn't flagship - and its image quality and metering were flawless (as opposed to the K-3 which tends to overexpose too easily).
05-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote

I think he was talking about a shoe-mount flash.
05-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
According to asahi man there is a small hardware change behind the 86,000p light-metering / AF sensor that assists the new AF system. But there is supposedly also a major FW Update coming for K-3 and 645z such that they will receive much benefit from improved AF software. According to Jim Malcolm, Ricoh's camera division culture has always been to extend improvements to discontinued cameras through FW Uodates whenever hardware would permit. He says Pentax has adopted that cultural hallmark

I suspect we won't see the firmware update until the K-3II is shipped in quantity.

Purchase of a K-3 grade camera is a once or twice in a lifetime event for many people. To suggest that not looking after these customers is good business is nonsense.

There were changes in the AF in 1.20. I gauge the effectiveness by my desire to spend $6k. It has decreased measurably since 1.20.

05-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
There were changes in the AF in 1.20. I gauge the effectiveness by my desire to spend $6k. It has decreased measurably since 1.20.
Yep.

K10D
K-3

It'll be a while before I buy another dSLR, and that will probably be (eventually) FF.

Lenses are another matter entirely. As are specialty cameras such as K-01 or Q / Q7
05-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I suspect we won't see the firmware update until the K-3II is shipped in quantity.

Purchase of a K-3 grade camera is a once or twice in a lifetime event for many people. To suggest that not looking after these customers is good business is nonsense.

That beg the question of how many that would consider a lifetime event would really think of upgrading the firmware in the first place even if it available.

I see much more likely a guy that master gear and change often to think about it than somebody that will never ever buy another camera like that.
05-17-2015, 11:59 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
That beg the question of how many that would consider a lifetime event would really think of upgrading the firmware in the first place even if it available.
Like Monochrome (above), I recently switched upgraded from the K10D to the K-3 and also make it my business to keep abreast of the available firmware upgrades. In the last 45 years, I have purchased four SLR cameras new, so once in a lifetime may not be quite accurate, but I definitely am not one of those users on this site that has upgraded with every new model release. Also, like Monochrome, I will likely purchase a Pentax FF at some point and shoot both the K-3 and that camera.

Steve