Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 06:34 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
So to use the feature, the camera needs to be on a tripod, and the subject needs to be still. Besides landscape shooting, the other most obvious application where you would have a tripod and a still subject would be product photography.

It's a shame if Pentax doesn't implement a feature to allow adjustment of the time between exposure shifts, so that flashes can recycle.
It's notable that the first shot on the Pentax sample page that uses Pixel Shift was taken at 1/200 sec. I'm not sure what to make of that as it's clearly fast enough to have been taken hand held. Perhaps the tripod stipulation by Pentax is just a general recommendation for best results but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

04-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just use continuous lighting with longer shutter times to shoot low ISO. The camera needs to be on a tripod anyway.
04-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said. Only the first two of the example photos were done with PSR turned on. That being the case, I think it speaks highly for the K-3 native resolution without PSR.

Steve
Exactly. The K-3 native resolution is such that its the only camera I've seen that can separate pro glass from consumer level optics without the need of a loupe or by pixel peeping. PSR may be nice to have, but only if you plan to face medium format "in studio" product shots or still landscapes "a la Ansel Adams" style.

Few weeks ago I posted this example of K-3 resolution, paired with the FA*200/2.8 lens: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/77477-f-fa-club-36.html#post3188704
04-25-2015, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Just use continuous lighting with longer shutter times to shoot low ISO. The camera needs to be on a tripod anyway.
Continuous lighting in the studio is not going to be an option for those of us who own $1000's in strobe equipment. To go this route, one would need to invest in entirely new lighting. My comment was more of a general remark as to the possible viability of using the Pixel Shift mode out of the studio at higher shutter speeds (given that one of the test shots was taken at 1/200 sec.). If this feature does work at 1/200 sec. it's going to be interesting to compare results on and off a tripod.

04-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tariq Quote
Continuous lighting in the studio is not going to be an option for those of us who own $1000's in strobe equipment. To go this route, one would need to invest in entirely new lighting. My comment was more of a general remark as to the possible viability of using the Pixel Shift mode out of the studio at higher shutter speeds (given that one of the test shots was taken at 1/200 sec.). If this feature does work at 1/200 sec. it's going to be interesting to compare results on and off a tripod.
Very well put. I'm not setup for continuous lighting, and besides that I would like to be able to go back and forth between regular mode and pixel shift without changing lighting or camera settings.
04-26-2015, 03:24 AM   #21

If they do it like olympus, then you can set a delay between shots say 1 sec to allow flash to charge inbetween shots.

Look up tony northrup on youtube his hi res video.

I can only imagine pentax will do the same.

If this feature gets incorporated into the FF body, it will be an absolute game changer.
04-26-2015, 03:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
If this feature gets incorporated into the FF body, it will be an absolute game changer.
With Sony and Pentax offering IS in a FF body, it will be interesting to see if Nikon or Canon ever cave on sensor stabilization.

04-26-2015, 03:53 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
With Sony and Pentax offering IS in a FF body, it will be interesting to see if Nikon or Canon ever cave on sensor stabilization.
Somehow I don't see it ever happening. Unless the market changes drastically with studio features like this.
04-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am somewhat confused with the the announcement of the Pentax 3 II by Ricoh. They have indicated that the important "changes that will benefit sports, studio, available-light and astrophotographers, as well as those who just want their photos geotagged". So what is the real benefit for studio work other than the removal of the flash? Is there something regarding the flash removal that has not as yet been announced, but will be available via a firmware update? There has to be more than just the removal of the onboard flash.
04-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I am somewhat confused with the the announcement of the Pentax 3 II by Ricoh. They have indicated that the important "changes that will benefit sports, studio, available-light and astrophotographers, as well as those who just want their photos geotagged". So what is the real benefit for studio work other than the removal of the flash? Is there something regarding the flash removal that has not as yet been announced, but will be available via a firmware update? There has to be more than just the removal of the onboard flash.
Well, I guess it would have to be the pixel shift resolution enhancement, assuming the studio is being used to photograph still subjects, and assuming Pentax implements a feature that spaces out the exposures to allow the flashes enough time to recycle.