Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3ii in the studio

Does anyone know if the high rez mode will work with studio flash? That would make it the ultimate studio camera if so. But I imagine the processing takes longer than the normal flash duration. Perhaps we'll need to use video lights to use it.

It's a GREAT time to be a Pentaxian.

Cheers,
Cameron

04-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Does anyone know if the high rez mode will work with studio flash? That would make it the ultimate studio camera if so. But I imagine the processing takes longer than the normal flash duration. Perhaps we'll need to use video lights to use it.

Cheers,
Cameron
I had sent Ricoh/Pentax a tweet about how they're implementing this mode, but no answer. Will be interesting to see if they use e-shutter, use full/compensated exposure (like multiple exposure mode), or some other method. I'm wondering, pessimistically, if they'll disable the hotshoe/sync port entirely like they do already for speeds faster than x-sync.
04-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I imagine you would have to use continuous lighting. Firing a flash 4 times in succession in less than half a second or so would seem ambitious. Although studio strobes might be up to the job. It's been too long since my last real studio shoot to remember...

Wim
04-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
in less than half a second
It can be slower if Ricoh wants it to be slower.

04-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

And why would they want to intentionally make it slower?
04-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Perhaps HSS mode could be modified to accomplish it.
04-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote

Cheers,
Cameron
I was wondering about that too. My guess is that strobes are out unless pixel shift can be manually controlled and delayed to allow strobes to recycle to proper power levels.

I remember years ago Imacon had a back with multi-shot capability to increase resolution. Their implementation was actually a bunch of shots done manually allowing strobes to recycle to proper power levels. Hopefully Pentax will have a manual mode. Otherwise, gotta look into some LEDs for studio work.

04-24-2015, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And why would they want to intentionally make it slower?
Here's the full conversation:
Original: Flash cannot be used, because it cannot be fired 4 times under 0.5 seconds
My reply: Ricoh could make a slow version, just add a few sec between exposures
Your reply: Why make it slower?
04-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

All right, that's a valid scenario (assuming there aren't other issues with using flash with PSR). And I should pay more attention to the context.
For this version though, flash can't be used.
04-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at the sample of the girl on the Ricoh site it seems this feature would require additional post process work to smooth out skin imperfections. Zoom in on her lip and nose area. You can see all the pores and upper lip hair easily.

I would think it would be great for product work though.
04-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The girl image was shot with Pixel Shift Resolution turned Off.
04-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Looking at the sample of the girl on the Ricoh site it seems this feature would require additional post process work to smooth out skin imperfections. Zoom in on her lip and nose area. You can see all the pores and upper lip hair easily.
What he said. Only the first two of the example photos were done with PSR turned on. That being the case, I think it speaks highly for the K-3 native resolution without PSR.

Steve
04-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh I thought they were all samples of the pixel shift. Never mind then.
04-25-2015, 04:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So to use the feature, the camera needs to be on a tripod, and the subject needs to be still. Besides landscape shooting, the other most obvious application where you would have a tripod and a still subject would be product photography.

It's a shame if Pentax doesn't implement a feature to allow adjustment of the time between exposure shifts, so that flashes can recycle.
04-25-2015, 06:18 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
If will be possible time-shift with pixel-shift (for in-studio photography)
I can imagine even portrait/beauty shoot.
Just to need stacking (?) those four shoots manualy and remove part of image from three ones.

Im macro - too.