Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 Firmware Upgrade Question

I"m new here and this is my first posting of any type.

I was thinking of buying a K3II later this year. However, the only new feature that it will have over the K3 that I need is the "pixel shifting". I don't need any of the other upgrades that the K3II has over the K3.

I just read in one of the posts here that there is a rumor that Pentax might some day update the firmware on the K3 to give it pixel shifting capability.
1. Does anyone know if that would even be doable through a firmware upgrade?
2. Given Pentax's history of firmware upgrades on the K3 (and other bodies) what do you think the chances are that they'd upgrade the K3 firmware to give it pixel shifting?

What I'd really like to do is buy a K3 now, get lots of experience with it without the pixel shifting, and then months down the road after I'm familiar with the K3 upgrade the firmware to get pixel shifting ability.

While I dream that such a firmware upgrade would happen, realistically, if I were Pentax I'd not do such an upgrade as it would likely prevent K3 owners from upgrading to the K3II.

Thanks,
Dave in the wilds of northern Wisconsin USA

05-02-2015, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

I doubt that the K-3 can be upgraded that way. I suspect that the K-3 II has had a hardware upgrade of the SR system - that is what I read between the lines in Ricoh's announcement.
05-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Ole!

I guess that I'll just have to wait and buy the K3II then to get the pixel shifting capability.
05-02-2015, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
1. Does anyone know if that would even be doable through a firmware upgrade?
Apart from the hardware reason posted above, from a business standpoint, why on earth would Ricoh offer that feature through firmware? It would cost them a ton of potential sales of the K-3 II, and as I understand it such sales keep the company afloat and profitable (which benefits us all ).

With that said I'm sure the feature will be included on the K-3's true replacement and all future flagship bodies, so if you don't think upgrading to the K-3 II is worth it I would hold out until the next model, or just get a K-3 classic now and trade up later.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Apart from the hardware reason posted above, from a business standpoint, why on earth would Ricoh offer that feature through firmware? It would cost them a ton of potential sales of the K-3 II, and as I understand it such sales keep the company afloat and profitable (which benefits us all ).
Absolutely agree that Ricoh would never do it.
05-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...If I liked being shafted I'd buy a Sony

With that said I'm sure the feature will be included on the K-3's true replacement and all future flagship bodies, so if you don't think upgrading to the K-3 II is worth it I would hold out until the next model, or just get a K-3 classic now and trade up later.
If hardware is not a limitation the short answer would be: because is the decent thing to do , besides I thought Ricoh (and most camera companies) make the bulk of their money in lens sales not bodies. Otherwise all that talk about listening and valuing their costumers is just a marketing gimmick. If Ricoh appreciates its loyal fans (who have stuck to the brand for decades through thick and thin) they better prove it with more than words.

Last edited by Stavri; 05-03-2015 at 10:55 AM.
05-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You're probably right but it also reduces the customers you care about the most to unpaid consultants. Eventually, people catch on to that.

05-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #8

I personally would rather buy a K3 rather than a K3ii as having a inbuilt flash for emergencies is more important to me than GPS. My style of picture taking would not miss the other "improvments" apart from the improvement to anti shaking, but I could just about live without that.

What I cannot not accept is the firmware bug in 1.20 for the K3 and I am not 100% certain about its predecesor 1.11 either. I won't purchase until I can be sure that Ricoh are to committed to resolving current outstanding problems. A K3ii may be an option but that would be a long term option at best. (I know there is the K-S2 but for me it needs a grip more like the K50 etc.....perhaps however its successor with a "better" grip and 24 mp sensor?)

While I recognise the need for Ricoh to promote the K3ii over the K3, it would unwise for them to do it at the expense of some confidence in the company's willingness to support its predecesor. They need to follow the example of the K5, which if my memory is correct, had firmware upgrades after the K5ii was introduced.
05-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is the latest firmware

What number is the latest on K3 ? Thank you
05-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
What number is the latest on K3 ? Thank you
Firmware 1.20
05-04-2015, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #11