Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3 SR Freakout

Had an interesting experience shooting with my K-3 today. I've set the RAW/FX button on my K-3 to turn SR on and off - convenient when using a zoom and you want to stabilize a shot at the long end. Never had a problem with this before today. When I went to press the RAW/FX button to turn SR off, the SR mechanism went into overdrive, vibrating very quickly, so the whole camera felt like a cellphone buzzing. It was a powerful buzzing, not gentle, and went about 2 seconds before I could turn the on-off switch to the "off" position. The vibration continued for another second after the camera was "off" and then ceased. Turned the camera back on, and resumed shooting as if nothing had happened. To be clear, the camera was not (to my knowledge) operating the shutter or mirror during this time, just vibrating. The vibration started immediately after pressing the RAW/FX button, and continued after the collar switch was set to "off". Firmware is 1.13, never had any mirror-flapping issues with the camera. Lens was Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and lens OIS was off, and I had used the RAW/FX button to turn SR on, took some photos, and then pressed it again to turn it off when the SR vibration started. I continued to use the button to turn SR on and off without incident after that.

-Mike

05-05-2015, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Well, on the plus side, I guess now you have a very clean dust-free sensor.
05-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Well, on the plus side, I guess now you have a very clean dust-free sensor.
The vibration was very strong - much stronger than when the dust removal feature is enabled. I didn't hear any other noises, such as clicks or snaps, just a strong 'bzzzzzzzzzzzzz'.
05-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i experienced this exact same vibration (It shakes and makes a horrid sound) on my k5 yesterday, never happened before.. Not happened again....
i had the feeling it had to do with a wrong dial-in of the Focal length resulting in vibration. i had it ignored and added the A-2x-S rear converter on the FA* 400 but it was still set to 55 mm...
i'm feared in reproducing it...

Last edited by max_pyne; 05-05-2015 at 11:59 PM.
05-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Were you hand holding the camera or was it on a tripod? Using SR when the camera is on a tripod or even braced against a wall can cause the SR to fight against itself and actually created vibration!
05-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #6

Suggest to update to Firmware 1.20 anyway and see if it happens again...
05-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
Were you hand holding the camera or was it on a tripod? Using SR when the camera is on a tripod or even braced against a wall can cause the SR to fight against itself and actually created vibration!
The camera was handheld - no tripod or monopod. And the vibrations from normal SR activity are barely detectable - this was a strong shaking of the entire camera.

---------- Post added 05-06-15 at 01:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dicks Quote
Suggest to update to Firmware 1.20 anyway and see if it happens again...
Never had this problem happen before with v1.13 of the firmware. Will upgrade the firmware when the DFA 70-200mm is released.

05-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

had it on tripod (gimbal).
05-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
Had an interesting experience shooting with my K-3 today. I've set the RAW/FX button on my K-3 to turn SR on and off - convenient when using a zoom and you want to stabilize a shot at the long end. Never had a problem with this before today. When I went to press the RAW/FX button to turn SR off, the SR mechanism went into overdrive, vibrating very quickly, so the whole camera felt like a cellphone buzzing. It was a powerful buzzing, not gentle, and went about 2 seconds before I could turn the on-off switch to the "off" position. The vibration continued for another second after the camera was "off" and then ceased. Turned the camera back on, and resumed shooting as if nothing had happened. To be clear, the camera was not (to my knowledge) operating the shutter or mirror during this time, just vibrating. The vibration started immediately after pressing the RAW/FX button, and continued after the collar switch was set to "off". Firmware is 1.13, never had any mirror-flapping issues with the camera. Lens was Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and lens OIS was off, and I had used the RAW/FX button to turn SR on, took some photos, and then pressed it again to turn it off when the SR vibration started. I continued to use the button to turn SR on and off without incident after that.

-Mike
Firmware 1.13? I just checked the Pentax site and there is no mention of ver. 1.13 is this a non US version or am I missing something? I am still using ver. 1.11 with no problems. Suggest you go back to at least ver. 1.11 until Ricoh updates to ver. 1.21.

Larrymc
05-07-2015, 06:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote

-Mike
The only reference to ver. 1.13 is for the Pentax Q. Are you shooting with a Q or a K-3?
05-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Firmware 1.13?
I was wondering the same thing...

Steve
05-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was wondering the same thing...

Steve
Yeah........I almost downloaded ver. 1.13 several months back until I realized it was for the Q series. I don't think his K-3 will perform well with that firmware....LOL

Larry
05-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't think his K-3 will perform well with that firmware....LOL
...causes viewfinder blackout...

Steve
05-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The only reference to ver. 1.13 is for the Pentax Q. Are you shooting with a Q or a K-3?
D'oh! Of course I meant v1.11 of the K-3 firmware. (My other camera, the K-7, is the one with v1.13 firmware).
Anyway, had the SR unit go bonkers and turning the camera off eventually caused it to stop (though the vibration continued ~1 sec after moving the switch to the off position.)
Never had it happen before (K-3 or K-7), and never had mirror-flap issue (the K-3 has always been used with v1.11 FW)

Didn't think to try looking through the viewfinder when this happened (i.e. to check if the mirror was up or not). Don't know if the SR unit would operate if the mirror was down.