Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SR and Pixel Shift Technology

I am getting the impression that the pixel shift technology will only perform when the SR is on in the camera (K3II). So if I wanted to take advantage of it while using my Sigma 150-500, supposedly I would have to shut off the lens OS and just leave the K3II SR on to take advantage of the IQ the new pixel shift technology offers. Or is the pixel shift technology possibly operating to an extent without the SR which I have not seen mentioned yet.

05-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I am getting the impression that the pixel shift technology will only perform when the SR is on in the camera (K3II). So if I wanted to take advantage of it while using my Sigma 150-500, supposedly I would have to shut off the lens OS and just leave the K3II SR on to take advantage of the IQ the new pixel shift technology offers. Or is the pixel shift technology possibly operating to an extent without the SR which I have not seen mentioned yet.
It operates on a microscopic level, so I don't think the SR system is directly involved. Since pixel shifting requires the use of a tripod, both in-camera and in-lens stabilization will probably need to be disabled for it to work properly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Though I definitely am not disagreeing with your statement, "Pixel Shift Resolution by in body shake reduction function for razor sharp images with excellent detail and color reproduction" is what is stated on Amazon as a feature of the camera. I myself would want the pixel shift technology to be effective when I am using my camera handheld for moving objects such as flying birds for the best IQ I can get.
05-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

when I am using my camera handheld for moving objects such as flying birds for the best IQ I can get
No. The pixel shift stuff is not going to work for that kind of shooting. With a moving camera and a fast moving subject, you will just end up with a pixel-shifted mess.

Just get a sharper lens - or improve your shooting technique.

05-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Though I definitely am not disagreeing with your statement, "Pixel Shift Resolution by in body shake reduction function for razor sharp images with excellent detail and color reproduction" is what is stated on Amazon as a feature of the camera. I myself would want the pixel shift technology to be effective when I am using my camera handheld for moving objects such as flying birds for the best IQ I can get.
Both pixel shift and the in-body SR use the same mechanism, but they are not the same thing. Until the camera is actually released into the hands of reviewers, I don't know that it is possible to say what state the camera will be in when pixel shift is in use.

All that being said, my understanding is that pixel shift is intended for on-tripod use with both camera and subject stationary. Birds in flight would not be one of the intended applications.

Steve
05-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My Sigma 150-500 (K mount) and Pentax K5 IIS are satisfying. I was just curious as to when the pixel shift technology is going to perform as a feature. If the pixel shift technology performs on a tripod shoot in a scene at 200 shutter speed of a mountain or if it would work at 1000 shutter speed shooting a flying bird is basically the question I am posing. If it would not operate at 1000 shutter speed is a true characteristic of the pixel shift technology, then it does not. Obviously tripod only shooting only is not my only goal if I want to shoot handheld. If the feature is not going to be intended for handheld action shooting when a user is using proper settings otherwise, and/or it is limited to a tripod user as has been stated, then it would only perform in that way. I did not see it as being effective in only certain situations, when I first read about it I assumed I could look forward to possibly higher resolution levels because of it during any type of normal shooting.

---------- Post added 05-06-15 at 09:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both pixel shift and the in-body SR use the same mechanism, but they are not the same thing. Until the camera is actually released into the hands of reviewers, I don't know that it is possible to say what state the camera will be in when pixel shift is in use.

All that being said, my understanding is that pixel shift is intended for on-tripod use with both camera and subject stationary. Birds in flight would not be one of the intended applications.

Steve
Thank you Steve. That is the information I was looking for. Please note that my last post was done before I saw your answer (it was not referring to you). I agree also that until actual release of the camera and reviews, the specific performance of the pixel shift function and related information will be more available. I will be able to see any more specs I need most likely then.
05-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It will most likely take multiple photos and combine them afterwards like HDR, CJ.

Likewise, you wouldn't be using HDR for birding shots because the subject moves between the first and last shots.

05-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It will most likely take multiple photos and combine them afterwards like HDR, CJ.

Likewise, you wouldn't be using HDR for birding shots because the subject moves between the first and last shots.
Thanks Clackers. I appreciate the info.
05-07-2015, 04:36 AM   #9
Forum Member

There is - allegedly - a method whereby you can have both anti-ghosting and higher resolution, using multiple images and PhotoAcute, see here. But a bird in flight might be asking too much at this point. In the future though, as camera processors get more powerful, and pixel shifting more sophisticated, I think it will become the next logical improvement. Its just a question of combining smarter algorithms, faster processing, and quicker exposures.
05-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I reckon it will use the sr to shift the sensor to take the pictures. So no there won't be sr available while the feature is used. It will also most likely be a selectable function like choosing hdr on/off.

Also, you can probably shoot as fast ss as you want, but that doesn't mean the shifting mechanism becomes faster.

I'm basing everything on current technology. So we're talking tripod and still objects.