Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

Can't adjust aperture ring

I recently purchased a second hand Sigma 100-200m f4.5 lens, but when I attach it to my K3, no matter how I adjust the aperture ring, the aperture doesn't change on the lens. For some reason, this lens also has an aperture tab, though there are no pins. Consequently, the aperture is wide open no matter what I do. If anyone knows about this and has a workaround, I would like to know.

Thanks.

05-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by halfaura Quote
I recently purchased a second hand Sigma 100-200m f4.5 lens, but when I attach it to my K3, no matter how I adjust the aperture ring, the aperture doesn't change on the lens. For some reason, this lens also has an aperture tab, though there are no pins. Consequently, the aperture is wide open no matter what I do. If anyone knows about this and has a workaround, I would like to know.

Thanks.
The aperture will stop down only when you go to take a picture, otherwise it will stay wide-open.

If the aperture ring doesn't have an A setting, here's what you need to do to expose properly:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #3

If you have the DOF preview set to optical when you operate the DOF preview lever (on-off switch) it should stop down.
05-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That's a pretty early one, probably does not have an A setting (would be next the smallest aperture, so you'd see an A on the apeture ring next to f/22 or f/16 -- whatever it is on that lens). If that's the case, you must use (M)anual mode on the body or it will never ever stop down -- see Adam's link.

05-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ah, seems to have worked. Thanks.
05-15-2015, 01:32 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
If you ever come across a lens where you follow all these steps and it still doesn't stop down.

Check if the base of the lens mount is covered by a coat of paint.

Chinon are a great example of this and you need to scrape it off where the pins would normally be. Otherwise the camera cannot detect it.