Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Stupid question: turn off LV in VIDEO mode?

Hi folks -- in the middle of recording a bunch of presentations, trying to figure out how to turn off Live View to save battery (lost a lot yesterday), and neither Google nor Forum search has helped...

Help! Thank you.

05-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amateur6 Quote
Hi folks -- in the middle of recording a bunch of presentations, trying to figure out how to turn off Live View to save battery (lost a lot yesterday), and neither Google nor Forum search has helped...

Help! Thank you.
I don't think you can. The mirror has to be up for the sensor to receive light which blacks out the viewfinder. In order to see your framing, live view has to be on.
05-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I don't think you can. The mirror has to be up for the sensor to receive light which blacks out the viewfinder. In order to see your framing, live view has to be on.
OY. Someone should consider the fact that occasionally people will frame a static shot and then just record. Especially since LV devours battery. And I would think that disabling something would be easier than enabling it...

But thanks for the speedy reply, enoeske!
05-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

No really an issue. With a fully charged battery, the amount of full HD video recording may be substantial.

05-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can see the rational, but to the best of my knowledge, the camera does not support the option to record video with the rear LCD turned off.

Steve
05-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does a K-S2 's screen turn off if you flip it around to face into the body?
05-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Does a K-S2 's screen turn off if you flip it around to face into the body?
I believe it does, though the next question would be whether it will do image or video capture with the screen in that position.

Steve

05-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You can turn off the rear screen while video recording. Just plug in some type of external monitor (eg a Lilliput field monitor):

Another option is to insert the Pentax O-FC1 WiFi Flucard and fire up the app. As soon as you tap 'Remote Capture' in the app, the rear screen of the K-3 should turn off (and Live View should also be visible in the app).

You may also be able to save a few milliwatts of power when LiveView is on by simply turning down the brightness of the display (Setup Menu 1, LCD Display Settings).
05-19-2015, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #9

Or use the AC adapter and forget about the battery.
05-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
No really an issue. With a fully charged battery, the amount of full HD video recording may be substantial.
It IS an issue when you’re trying to record a day’s worth of presentations with one battery. Not an issue moving forward, but I was looking for a solution in the middle of a particular situation.

I ended up shooting everything I could with the LCD brightness turned sown, at 720p, charging the battery as much as possible during lunch break. Still not more than 3 hours. Shot on my ipad until I ran out of space, then used my MacBook Pro FaceTime camera.

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone!
05-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't think you want a DSLR for this type of work personally.

DSLR's are good when you need the depth of field control that a larger sensor can give you, but assuming you had good lighting I'm not seeing much it will give you over a basic handicam device, that would be far better suited to filming a presentation for hours and hours.
05-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
a basic handicam device, that would be far better suited to filming a presentation for hours and hours.
Agreed. I have a old HD handicam with a 120GB HDD built-in I got once at auction. It can record full HD for between 11 and 50 hours (depending on the video quality level you select). Stick it on a tripod, stick a battery on it good for 4 hours of recording, point it at the stage, walk away, come back in 4 hours, change the battery, resume. It won't be art, but it will get the job done.
06-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Agreed. I have a old HD handicam with a 120GB HDD built-in I got once at auction. It can record full HD for between 11 and 50 hours (depending on the video quality level you select). Stick it on a tripod, stick a battery on it good for 4 hours of recording, point it at the stage, walk away, come back in 4 hours, change the battery, resume. It won't be art, but it will get the job done.
Yeah, I realize that, but as I think I made clear, I was in a pinch and looking for immediate feedback re: turning off the live view LCD.