Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2015, 11:50 PM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffmsc Quote
I tested out the PS today at my camera store. I was hoping the feature would bring some great results for my long exposure seascapes but looking at this image I was dismayed to see green artefacts from anything that moved in the picture. I wonder if this effect will be present in moving water and if so can it be cancelled out using the latest updated Digital Camera Utility 5? I can't get the software without buying the camera, but in any case I'm otherwise very impressed with the rest of the Pentax K3 II and almost ready to jump ship from Nikon.

Anything moving and Pixel Shift becomes iffy, if not unusable.

11-24-2015, 01:21 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I tested out the PS today at my camera store. I was hoping the feature would bring some great results for my long exposure seascapes but looking at this image I was dismayed to see green artefacts from anything that moved in the picture. I wonder if this effect will be present in moving water and if so can it be cancelled out using the latest updated Digital Camera Utility 5? I can't get the software without buying the camera, but in any case I'm otherwise very impressed with the rest of the Pentax K3 II and almost ready to jump ship from Nikon.

It seems that a software fix should be possible, but I have not heard of one. The software would need to be able to recognize artifacts and replace the merged image with one of the source images in those areas.
11-24-2015, 05:38 AM   #168

I was considering the K3 II mainly because of the PS feature but now considering perhaps get the cheaper K3. Can anyone tell me if that camera is as good as the K3 II? Sorry if that appears to go off topic slightly but I guess it relates.
11-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #169

I was considering the K3 II mainly because of the PS feature but now considering perhaps get the cheaper K3. Can anyone tell me if that camera is as good as the K3 II? Sorry if that appears to go off topic slightly but I guess it relates.
Yes, if pixel-shifting is your only priority, then it seems like the K-3 II's other "improvements" might not be worth it to you, or even a drawback. (The K-3 II's GPS and lack of pop-up flash)

Other than that, I think the verdict is in that the images are identical, and most everything else is practically the same. But you can dig deeper into the reviews if you'd like to sniff out any other details that might interest you.

All I know is that if I weren't an astro-landscape photographer who IS keenly interested in the built-in GPS and astro-tracer feature, I'd be jumping on a used K-3 deal for sure, I've seen them for s low as $400-600 and that's an absolute steal considering what it offers compared to the Nikon D7200 and Canon 7D mk2 which cost 2-3x more!