Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I would like to see some pixel-shift images with motion in the frame to gauge how the tech will work for landscapes with moving water or wind-driven foliage.
Yes this will be important for a lot of people I suspect (including myself). I'm already having visions of sinking slowly into boggy ground with my thumb twitching over the cable release button uttering expletives as the wind fails to drop sufficiently for the hundredth time.

I think it will be a case of always capturing a normal exposure first for safety before going all-out for the pixel shift, and then blending out the worst artifacts in PP.

On a different note, I just noticed that the lens used for these samples is the Sigma 70mm macro. Sigma's lens division may also get some sales out of this!

05-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
the lens used for these samples is the Sigma 70mm macro
Imaging Resource have used this lens for years for all their standard test scenes, since it's sharp, and is available for just about all mounts, which is useful for cross-system testing.
05-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's almost enough to sell me one... I'm shocked.
05-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Yes this will be important for a lot of people I suspect (including myself). I'm already having visions of sinking slowly into boggy ground with my thumb twitching over the cable release button uttering expletives as the wind fails to drop sufficiently for the hundredth time.

I think it will be a case of always capturing a normal exposure first for safety before going all-out for the pixel shift, and then blending out the worst artifacts in PP.

On a different note, I just noticed that the lens used for these samples is the Sigma 70mm macro. Sigma's lens division may also get some sales out of this!

I have this lens and it may be the sharpest Sigma has.

05-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #20
Pentaxian

The pixel-shift K-3II images are quite impressive. If there were not a Pentax ff body expected soon, I would buy one. Imagine that body with pixel-shift versus the D810.

I would like to see some pixel-shift images with motion in the frame to gauge how the tech will work for landscapes with moving water or wind-driven foliage.
There's another thread with outdoor samples. Trees and grass show artifacts such as https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/296122-k3ii-pixel-shift-fi...ml#post3265725 and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/296122-k3ii-pixel-shift-fi...ml#post3265976.

There's a cityscape on a Japanese website that shows ghosts images from every moving car and pedestrian, and trees have a lot of pixellation.

So far, the samples say that pixel shift is for studios. Outdoor photos do gain resolution and color but there's a high risk (every photo that has grass or trees or people) of artifacts. Ricoh hasn't really said much about how to really use pixel shift, though, and maybe someone will share tricks.
05-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do you mean 240z?
Yes, that one too...
05-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I wonder how it will get along with flash as well.
According to the user manual, flash is a no-go.

Steve

05-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There is another thread in this section of the site with example photos, at least one of which has motion-induced artifact. The pertinent image:

http://199.168.184.48/eraser/IMGP0107.JPG

The post with other examples:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/296122-k3ii-pixel-shift-fi...ml#post3265693

Steve
05-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any difference in superresolution observed depending on the lens being used ?
05-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

That's shocking. I was expecting an increased dynamic range, and some increased resolution. But not so much increase in resolution, and also lower noise. Sensational results.

Now, I'm very curious what could be the result if instead of 4 shots, they make the shift with only 2 shots, with a pixel lateral shift? Maybe, in this way the shooting time will be shorten, and the result will be somewhere close, but at least, better then with only simple shot.
05-28-2015, 11:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

So if the DNG files are nearly 4x the size of normal DNGs, I take it we are looking at files which store all the luminance data from four captures, which is subsequently demosaiced in PP, rather than the demosaicing happening in-camera and a file output with full colour data at each pixel? I was hoping for the latter, but I'm not complaining.
Yes, that is how it works. If a raw development program can open the DNG (not all can) then you can process the first capture in the normal way. The last 3 captures are simply ignored. This can be handy if the processed PS data has artifacts from movement.

To gain access to the full processed PS data you have to convert with the Pentax DCU software to TIFF 16.

In camera TIFF conversion results in TIFF-8, I see no use for those files.

Last edited by tomtor; 05-29-2015 at 12:06 AM.
05-29-2015, 12:12 AM   #27
Veteran Member

impressive! who need a full frame whereas the k3ii is the winner against d810
05-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #28

Sigma 70mm Macro was discontinued

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Imaging Resource have used this lens for years for all their standard test scenes, since it's sharp, and is available for just about all mounts, which is useful for cross-system testing.
Probably worth noting that this lens was discontinued a while back by Sigma, though there may be new ones still available.
05-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tariq Quote
Probably worth noting that this lens was discontinued a while back by Sigma, though there may be new ones still available.
I have mine, naa naa na naa naa.
05-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tariq Quote
That is a rotten shame since the Sigma 70mm macro was a sterling lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have mine, naa naa na naa naa.
I would not brag. We (sort of) know where you live...

Steve