Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #1

Pentax K-3 'wobbly' (?) mode dial

I got a new K-3 last month. Now I just noticed that the mode dial 'wobbles' quite a bit. I also have the K-50, Canon G1x, and other Point-and Shoot cameras; and the mode dials on those cameras are not as 'wobbly' as the K-3.

I checked out 2 other K-3s in stores and they are similar.

Is this normal? Seemingly, the Olympus OMD-EM5 also has this "wobbly mode dial" characteristic...

06-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Hmmmm...I just did checked my K-3 as well as those 15 film bodies (dating to late 1950s) from my collection that have a shutter speed or mode dial. All but three of those cameras share a similar amount of wobble or "rocker". Those three that do not wobble are the Canon P, Zorki 4K, and FED-2 rangefinder cameras, though I should note that both the Zorki and the FED have a bit of side-to-side play that was missing on the other 14 bodies. Perhaps it is because of their shared Soviet heritage.

Without actually fiddling with your camera, I can't say whether it is normal or not. Mode dials often are spring-loaded to some degree and that might be a potential cause of wobble, though excessive movement might be evidence of damage to the body from impact or having been dropped.

Steve

P.S. I no longer have my Canon G2 digital, but IIRC, it too had a mode dial that wobbled a bit. I don't remember if my recently departed K10D had the characteristic.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-02-2015 at 01:24 PM.
06-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Poompat Quote
Is this normal? Seemingly, the Olympus OMD-EM5 also has this "wobbly mode dial" characteristic...
I just checked my recently-purchased K-3 and the mode dial does have a bit of "wiggle". It's not been an issue to me and I likely wouldn't have noticed it (but you just *had* to go and bring it up . I attribute it as an artifact of the mode dial lock button and lock lever. My K-50 mode dial doesn't "wobble", but then again that dial doesn't lock in place.
06-03-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This seems normal indeed. My K-3 always exhibited more of a wobble on the mode dial than previous models as well. The new K-3II (arrived last WE) seems to be slightly better, though I will only know for sure after some time using it. This wobbliness never caused any problem on the K-3 however.

Wim

06-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for responses.