Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 05:54 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I would go with the k-3 and the DA* 16-50 (or 16-85) to start with. The reason is that with the k-3 you can crop without worrying about losing lots of pixels. The k-3 is a real bargain compare to other brands at similar level. The DA* 16-50 is really a bargain if you can find a used one (even if it is converted to screw drive only); the only thing I am not using it as much is because it is a bit heavy to carry (for me anyway as I prefer to travel light); and of course, the alternative would be 16-85 if you shoot a lot outdoors.
The DA* 16-50 is a great lens ! The new sigma 24-70mm f/2.8-4 "contemporary" can be a great option too... I have tested both, and prefered the Pentax lens, but the sigma is not bad at all...

06-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
As for UWA, the 14mm Pentax is a dog - no other way to describe it.....
Rubbish.
I owned this very good lens and enjoyed it hugely.
I only sold it to get the more versatile Sigma 8-16
should we take the rest of your comments with a grain of salt as well ?

Last edited by Transit; 06-10-2015 at 01:16 PM.
06-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Rubbish.
I owned this very good lens and enjoyed it hugely.
I only sold it to get the more versatile Sigma 8-16
should we take the rest of your comments with a grain of salt as well ?
Just going by what I see in images from the lens and all reviews. Photozone rating IQ at 3 stars - lowest you'll see on any current prime. Review here rates it "7" for IQ and mentions its flawed design, compared to the far-better Samyang in same review at "9" for IQ. And you sold it for a slow zoom. You must have made a huge profit on that sale. I tend to keep the lenses I like, but you need that versatility - and that's your prerogative.

Please do disregard any of my comments. Making personal comments is so persuasive. I'm impressed, especially given the specific qualities of the lens you mention. It is faster than the zoom, after all.
06-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was reacting to your sweeping comment, shame to have the OP led astray
owning a lens tends to give a better feeling than reviews.
Speed of such wide lenses is more use for a bright view, rather than shooting at.

Last edited by Transit; 06-13-2015 at 01:35 AM.
06-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #35
Veteran Member

The Sigma 8-16 is a very nice lens based on the images I've seen. In most situations, the lack of speed is not a problem on UWA. I use the Samyang 8mm when I need to go even wider. Carrying the 8mm and 14mm gets pretty bulky, but the IQ from the two lenses is quite good. I'll just stay silent about your former lens...
07-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery
"Family digital magazine project requires eye-popping photos for magazine covers, spreads, landscapes and ambiance/atmosphere illustrations"

I suspect you will get much more bang for your buck learning how to use LightRoom really well. For an average size magazine you are already getting the file you need. However, The fine exposure adjustments and the added 'Punch" that you could get from that file will need to be properly post-processed in a good piece of software. It makes all the difference. If you move up to a new camera you may see only a small improvement unless your post-processing skills are good. If I want to really "pop" a photo I will adjust in LR and then move Perfect Photo Suite and use the Dynamic Contrast filter. It is amazing.

I have owned a K100, K20, K5 and now a K3. The K3 is worth it. The additional file size has really let me get aggressive with some of my crops. My experience with noise at 3200 is as good or better than the k5.