Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 Died

My K3 will not power up. Tried all the easy stuff like changing batteries, lenses, and memory cards. No help. The camera is out of warranty so I will have to pay for the repair. Any suggestions on where to get it repaired.

06-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Make sure the memory card door is closed properly.
06-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Checked that. No help
06-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's an outside thing that might work. Take your battery out. Hold down the power button for a slow count of 30. Put your fully charged battery back in and see what happens after blowing out the battery compartment.

06-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tried it, no luck.
06-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Are the contacts for the battery clean?
06-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Appear to be. It did not happen during a battery change but during a time when I was out shooting. I had turned the camera off and about 15 minutes later I went to turn it on again and it would not power up. After that is when I tried changing the batteries, cards, and lenses. All to no avail.

06-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jim.haase Quote
Tried it, no luck.
Is the battery inserted backwards? I know it's possible to insert it backwards into the grip, not sure about the body though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Is the shutter in midcycle? If the mirror is down, you probably have some hope to revive it. By chance do you have another battery you can try using? In any event, give it a day or two. I have heard of dSLRs coming back from a coma after a day or two.
06-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is the battery inserted backwards? I know it's possible to insert it backwards into the grip, not sure about the body though.

Battery only can only install and lock in place in one direction.

---------- Post added 06-04-15 at 01:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Is the shutter in midcycle? If the mirror is down, you probably have some hope to revive it. By chance do you have another battery you can try using? In any event, give it a day or two. I have heard of dSLRs coming back from a coma after a day or two.

The mirror is all the way down. I've already tried a second battery with no luck.

---------- Post added 06-04-15 at 01:18 AM ----------

Pentax suggested Precision Camera as a source for repair. Has anyone used this repair facility in the past and if you have what were your impression. Are there any other suggested repair facilities?

Last edited by jim.haase; 06-03-2015 at 11:19 PM.
06-04-2015, 12:23 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jim.haase Quote
Pentax suggested Precision Camera as a source for repair. Has anyone used this repair facility in the past and if you have what were your impression. Are there any other suggested repair facilities?
Precision is the only authorized repair facility in the US, and the only one that can source parts as far as I'm aware. User impressions here on the forum are mixed; they range to highly positive to negative. I think it depends on the item in question and how readily-available parts are. The K-3 shouldn't be a problem.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: