Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2015, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #1

K-3ii hands on info needed

I've been looking at possibly getting the K-3ii upgrading from a K-5 but I've been waiting to see more information about what users think about it. I've read the "officially announced" and "post pictures" threads but there is not much content in either of those of actual usage. Maybe there is another location to look. Please let me know. Before I purchased the K-5 there was oodles of user reviews and thoughts on this forum, which was very informative. I'm trying to decide whether to get the K-3ii now or wait until the next full upgrade model comes out. I'm not interested in the full frame, so I guess it would be the K-1 (or whatever they would call it).

06-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I bought one today, a major update from K7.
What do you want me to try?
06-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I've been looking at possibly getting the K-3ii upgrading from a K-5 but I've been waiting to see more information about what users think about it. I've read the "officially announced" and "post pictures" threads but there is not much content in either of those of actual usage. Maybe there is another location to look. Please let me know. Before I purchased the K-5 there was oodles of user reviews and thoughts on this forum, which was very informative. I'm trying to decide whether to get the K-3ii now or wait until the next full upgrade model comes out. I'm not interested in the full frame, so I guess it would be the K-1 (or whatever they would call it).
It was just released like 2 weeks ago, if that. You need to wait some time for "oodles" of user reviews. Its also a more niche camera and won't get the same number that the mainstream K-5 got.
06-08-2015, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The K-5 is already a very good camera. The K-3ii is an even better camera but you won't notice any improvement in many photos. Then again, maybe your type of photography will gain a big boost from the K-3. What type of photography do you do? Is the K-5 holding back you back in any way? Do you need to print large, autofocus on difficult subjects, etc.?

Also consider the K-3 instead of the K-3ii. The K-3ii adds a few small upgrades compared to the K-3 (GPS added, pixel shift added, shake reduction upgraded) and one downgrade (no built-in flash). You'll save around $300.

The K-3 and K-3ii autofocus is better than the K-5 for action like airshows, sporting events, and birding. The extra resolution is good for just about anything if you ever crop or print large.

06-08-2015, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
The K-3 ii is almost identical to the K-3, so I recommend that you take a look at the K-3 user reviews and in-depth review to familiarize yourself with it:
Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The K-3 is already a substantial upgrade over the K-5, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next model were released within a year.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2015, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I'm ready to make the move from K-5 to K-3II by the end of the month.

I'm looking for better AF on rapidly moving subjects, e.g., grandchildren and aircraft. I don't know for certain which are faster.

I'm also looking for better stabilization. I'm nearly fully recovered from a stroke that happened after I got the K-5 - still have some shakiness in my left hand. You know, the one holding that thing with all the glass parts. Shooting airplanes and faster-than-light grandchildren with a tripod isn't practical in most cases. So a stop better stabilization (that's double, right?) would be a big deal. I think Pentax has indicated that OS is measured using CIPA standards so I will assume it's either accurate or an outright lie. I prefer to think the former.

Any ideas anyone?
06-08-2015, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
I have upgraded from K-5 to K-3 II and have been pleasantly surprised. The gps mapping function is incredibly useful if you want to recall location of phtoographs; I do. I am looking forward to Astro tracing when the skies clear - was considering buying the add on GPS unit until the K-3 II arrived with it all built in. Improved shake reduction I benefit from as I get older and more wobbly. Pixel shift for stills seems to be offer outstanding improvement in colour, resolution, and noise reduction - I will use it for certain landscape shots. What surprised me most what the overall improvement in image definition and detail - I was not aware of how much the low pass filter on the K-5 was softening my images until I looked at the first photographs from the K-3 II. The only reason I am keeping my K-5 is nostalgia for an old friend, I am very impressed indeed with so many things about the K-3 II - too many to list although most of these are equally true of the K-3.

06-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No built-in flash is quite substantial. Obviously no self-respecting photographer uses built-in flash for lighting their subject... but now in order to fire a remote flash you need to be tethered by physical cable or via another PTTL compatible flash in the hot shoe to trigger the remote flash. Add $300-$500 to your budget for an on-camera flash.

You've likely already spent $$$ for off camera flash but now you need some way to fire it. A cheaper wireless transceiver might be another option. Either way, unless you need the slight upgrades in the K3ii, looking at the K3 is not a bad way to go.
It really is a nice step up from the K5.
06-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the input so far. On board flash is not important. The things I would like are better more accurate AF, low light/less noise, and increased sharpness. I shoot landscapes, animals (wildlife) and pets, flowers, and kids mainly. The new puppy we just got is nearly impossible to capture in focus.
06-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #10

In a similar position. But I'm upgrading from the K20D. Been holding off getting the K3 for awhile now, waiting to see if the K3ll was coming. Now it has been released, I've been weighing up the K3 @ $999.AU, and K3ll @ $1199.AU End of financial year specials at one Aussie seller. Decisions, decisions... Siding towards the K3ll at the moment..
06-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
I've looked at the release date history since the K-5 and it looks like the shortest time period was between the K-5ii and the K-3 at one year. The other release dates were about 1-1/2 to 2 years. So I'm guessing it would be at least a year before we saw another model to replace the K-3ii. I don't want to get the K-3ii and then in 6-9 months have them release a new model (excluding the FF which I'm not interested in). I know it's just a guess, but what do others think about this? I'm in such a debate over whether to upgrade from the K-5 or buy the K-3ii. I have the following lenses, so it would be nice to know if others have tried them on the K-5 and now the K-3ii. Sigma 17-50EX 2.8, Pentax 50-135DA* 2.8, and Pentax 60-250DA* 4.0. (I have other lenses but don't use them much). I want faster, more accurate autofocus with less hunting. I've had to micro adjust all my lenses and still I'm not sure the focusing seems spot on. I would also like better low light capabilities with less noise, but it doesn't sound like the K-3ii is any better with regards to this. If anyone has those lenses and has any feedback about using them with the K-3ii vs the K-5 please let me know. My birthday is tomorrow so it would be fun to buy myself a birthday present, like a new camera maybe.
06-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Craig66 Quote
In a similar position. But I'm upgrading from the K20D. Been holding off getting the K3 for awhile now, waiting to see if the K3ll was coming. Now it has been released, I've been weighing up the K3 @ $999.AU, and K3ll @ $1199.AU End of financial year specials at one Aussie seller. Decisions, decisions... Siding towards the K3ll at the moment..
This is me right down to the old camera model, but I'm sliding pretty fast now after looking at some astro-traced images on Flickr. Which dealer are you referring to?
06-13-2015, 03:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also own a K5 and I'm very happy with it.

Sometimes I think about upgrading. So I ask myself if I'd better save some money to buy excellent glass or a K3 / K3II. The K3 bodies offer some advantages. But I'd like to see some others too. By example better low light capability, articulating screen like the one of 645Z because I do a lot macro photography and integrated wify to connect the camera to my iPad.

Seems that the new pixel shift technology can be very helpful in some situations. But I miss an option to switch getting muliple raw files or one computed within the dng-file. Using this option, we could work out the resulting file in other raw converters than PDCU (Silkypix). I think Ricoh/Pentax could deliver this because they already do it in the multiple-exposure mode.

So for now I save money to buy premium glass and wait and see what's coming as successor of the K3II. I'm also interested to see what's in the FF package.

Last edited by acoufap; 06-13-2015 at 05:50 AM.
06-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #14

Original Poster
I guess no one has any of the lenses I have and tried them with the K-3ii (all are listed above in my earlier post). It would have been nice to get some impressions about the K-3ii working with those lenses. Another question - will my K-5 batteries work with the K-3ii? It looks like the same battery so I wouldn't have to get extra batteries if they are the same. I've used different SDHC cards in the past. What would be the minimum speed to get? I always get Class 10 and either the Ultra or Extreme.
06-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #15

Original Poster
Well, no answers to my questions, but Adorama just dropped the K-3ii price down $100. That makes it even more appealing. Amazon also has a lower price.