Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Couldn't agree more with this strap I have been using for years to carry the K5 + DA*300/4 + HD 1.4X TC + grip !!

06-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #17

I have seen so many of this plastic 'locks' fail over the years... I am not really comfortable with something depending on them. So.. how is the long term experience with these?

Is there any manufacturer of nice leather&brass straps?
06-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
That's got "Dork" written all over it

A famous photographer once said that photography is a moment of embarrassment for a lifetime of enjoyment. Can't remember who though ...
06-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

When I posted my review of the K-3, when I bought as an upgraded second body to my K-5 I found the K-3 better in every way except one: The strap. It felt distinctly inferior to the one that came with the K-5. I replaced it almost immediately. There are a lot of good replacement options, just check B&H and you could spend hours going through the possibilities. I had replaced the original K-5 strap with a Crumpler Industry Disgrace, but I see they do not sell it anymore. Too bad since I wanted to get one for my K-3. You can still get the Convenient disgrace but that one had quick disconnects which I don't like. One interesting possibility is the Op-Tech Super classic. It is inexpensive and looks like a good comfortable and sturdy strap for a reasonable price.

06-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
I have seen so many of this plastic 'locks' fail over the years... I am not really comfortable with something depending on them. So.. how is the long term experience with these?

As far as the OpTech straps, as I said in an earlier post; I've used their straps for many years; with absolutely no failure of any kind. They are headquartered in Montana, and make their products on site.

Referring to leather & brass straps, I just googled it, and there are many to choose from. I used to do leather work, and made camera straps for myself; however I didn't find them nearly as comfortable as the OpTech's.

Last edited by csa; 06-14-2015 at 03:32 PM.
06-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
My vote is for a sling. The Op/Tech makes sense because you aren't forced to use the tripod mount. I have the BlackRapid but actually got in the habit of using a wrist strap with the K-01, and stuck with it for typical outings other than when on formal assignment. I'm shooting with primes more now, and the wrist strap is fine with fairly light lenses. Camera goes into the center-open bag at rest.
This ^^^. I really like some of the fancier systems like Black Rapid but they are not practical if you use a tripod a lot. The OP/Tech system is flashy, it just works and is very flexible. You can change out the strap pads with different styles and colors, you use different connector types, you can take off the strap and link the camera connectors together as a hand strap/grip.

If they added a premium padded leather strap pad they would be perfect.
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've used OpTech straps for many years, with no failures. With my heavy telephoto lens I also use this:

OP/TECH USA Lens Support Adaptor System Connector

This really makes carrying a large lens much more comfortable, and takes the strain off the camera/lens connection. To use the camera you don't have to remove the Support Adaptor, simply lift the camera up, and start shooting. It connects to the OpTech strap with quick release buckles.

Also, for double security, using one of these Stabilizer Straps will still secure the camera if something fails in the strap:

OP/TECH USA Stabilizer Strap

One thing about OpTech, if you encounter a product failure; I'm sure they would replace the product for you. Everything is made right here in the USA!

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
As far as the OpTech straps, as I said in an earlier post; I've used their straps for many years; with absolutely no failure of any kind. They are headquartered in Montana, and make their products on site.

Referring to leather & brass straps, I just googled it, and there are many to choose from. I used to do leather work, and made camera straps for myself; however I didn't find them nearly as comfortable as the OpTech's.
I think all of those replies tell it all !

JP
06-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have and use my original bought in 2010. I've since bought two more for different cameras. And another strap pad so I have a black 'formal' one and a camo one.

The connectors are high quality and I see no sign of wear. There are different grades of those plastic connectors, in fact just this afternoon I was looking at a camera bag in a shop that had them. They were obviously cheap and made of soft plastic. I passed on the bag. The connectors on the op/tech straps are a completely different story.

They have built their business on those connectors, I'm guessing they know what they are doing.

06-15-2015, 05:30 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster

A dork with a Pentax? Is such a thing possible?? ;-). Joking aside (or not), I'd rather be a dork taking pictures than a cool dude picking up the shattered remains of his camera.
06-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oddly enough I actually know that guy. And of course he looks nothing like that. He is a retired police officer that does stock photography. And that is a licensed stock image.
06-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oddly enough I actually know that guy. And of course he looks nothing like that. He is a retired police officer that does stock photography. And that is a licensed stock image.
Oddly enough, you can grab this stock image from Google images Free (Image is Public Domain Work.) Not for commercial use.
06-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oddly enough, you can grab this stock image from Google images Free (Image is Public Domain Work.) Not for commercial use.
Nope. Not saying it is not on Google but it is definitely a commercial work. I know the photographer and model personally. But that is the way things work these days hard for photographers to keep ahead.

Here you go: Nice Image Of A Geek Man On Black Stock Photo 63506320 : Shutterstock
06-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmm..never had a Pentax camera strap fail.

The Mysteries of a Pentax Camera Strap

Many folks don't thread the straps correctly.

06-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nope. Not saying it is not on Google but it is definitely a commercial work. I know the photographer and model personally. But that is the way things work these days hard for photographers to keep ahead.

Here you go: Nice Image Of A Geek Man On Black Stock Photo 63506320 : Shutterstock
Well then how are you supposed to know what's real or licensed or what? Seems like an impossible task. Like for all you know every single image I have in my flickr account was stolen directly from your account Crazy......
06-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well then how are you supposed to know what's real or licensed or what? Seems like an impossible task. Like for all you know every single image I have in my flickr account was stolen directly from your account Crazy......
LOL. Not my account, I know my images. Stock Photos, Royalty-Free Images and Vectors - Shutterstock

But, yeah it is pretty crazy out there. I have "for sale" images that I've found all over the internet. Sometimes I will issue a DMCA but mostly it is not worth the effort. If the image still has the agency watermark on it though I'll turn that over to the agency and let them deal with it. Some people, especially a lot of amateur bloggers, just do not understand they are violating the photographer's copyright and means of making a living. Grabbing an image off an agency page with the watermark and using it that way is just dumb.

And I wasn't jumping on you, I just thought it funny you posted one of Laurin's images. Not 100% sure but I think I was there when they shot that.
06-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie70 Quote
I use my CottonCarrier when hiking or when on a boat. I love itfoe freeing my hands when moving around and the fact that I can carry two cameras ata time is a real bonus. A number of Wedding Photographers I know use them.