Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 02:48 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
had to look up Deming
https://www.ricoh-usa.com/about/awards/Deming_Award.aspx?alnv=awd&cpt=Deming%20Award

07-03-2015, 03:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From my 40 + years in experience inspecting, installing, and supporting equipment I have noticed on constant in the decline of quality. The presence of accountants at every step of the process. At the moment, unit manufacturing cost rules the world. Concepts like lifetime cycle costs are given lip service but then the manufacturing team is told to squeeze another 5% out of the manufacturing cost.

Three ways to do this. Reduce labor costs. Reduce part costs. Eliminate steps in the process. The first to be affected is usually final QC. This is because "Quality is the responsibility of everyone in the process." The trouble with that statement is that everyone is constantly being harassed to do the job faster and increase output. "Do more with less" is the order of the day.

In the ancient days I remember a problem on a product I was inspecting. I rejected some as they did not meet spec. The QA engineer came by and said to let them go anyway but stop all future units that fail. So I kept failing them and she finally said just to let them all go anyway. That was 40 years ago and it hasn't gotten any better since.
07-03-2015, 04:05 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the manufacturing process is slower, but higher quality product output, is fine with me, trouble is there are so many out there that want everything NOW!!!
07-05-2015, 02:08 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I hope it gets better. It really holds me back from purchasing the product. Particularly since warranty services in my part of the woods are really bad. I like the camera very much.

I really hope they can identify which ones are defective and pull them out before their sold, fix them then send them back to the shelves. That would be a great.

07-05-2015, 02:57 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar problem the other day with my K3. I had changed the SD card took half a dozen shots, but could not view them and could not turn the camera off, could not fire the shutter. I reinstalled the battery and formatted the SD card and everything was fine.

I suspect the card was last used on a K5 and it was this that caused the problem.

Regards

Jeff
07-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a cross post from the other similar thread, but figured people reading one or the other would want to be aware....

Add another to the list.

Intrigued by pixel shift and the recent Adorama price drop, I went for the K3 II as a second body to carry for landscape shots on vacation this summer (original K3 will remain with the telephoto). Inserted a charged battery, input time & date and formatted cards only to realize it wouldn't turn off. Having read this thread, I hit the GPS button and sure enough, the camera froze.

It may just be me, but the back wheel also has a much cheaper tactile feel (when rotating) than my K3.

Now for the joy of repackaging, returning, waiting and hoping the next one works properly.

07-06-2015, 12:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Spoke to CR Kennedy Melbourne branch today about returning my K3-11, though they have no stock for replacement they were very helpful and said they will notify me when stock becomes available for a changeover.

The tech I spoke to stated there is a fix for the problem of not turning off but he said they do not yet have the equipment, so I assume its a minor hardware replacement.

Not sure about the GPS error thats showing up and actually forgot to mention it to him as I have not even turned my GPS on.

Cheers

Neil

08-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Anybody got other issues with their K-3II? I just ordered mine and would like to find out what to watch out for.
08-21-2015, 06:55 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Time for Ricoh to hand back it's Deming Prize, I think.
Is there someone else more deserving?
08-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Anybody got other issues with their K-3II? I just ordered mine and would like to find out what to watch out for.
My replacement K3ii is working fine. GPS works really well around the world and is a great advantage when travelling. I keep it permanently on. Over 1000 shots and no issues at all.
08-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I hope mine will be okay.
08-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have posted this before but because people keep asking if the camera is OK I will say it again. I have had 4 of the k3iis. All have worked perfectly. The first three were in the suspect range. My 4th is outside that range and I will keep it. It was a pain for those who had the problem but I really do not think most cameras were affected. In any case it is my favorite Pentax camera yet. I will probably sell my K3 now since the k3ii takes care of all my Pentax needs - at least until the FF shows up.
01-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #28

I have a story that speaks to this problem and also to the great service at CR Kennedy. This is way back to my first DSLR camera, a Pentax K-20. Same problem as described above, camera would freeze up, wouldn't work but wouldn't turn off either. The only solution was to take the battery out, pop it back in and start again. Then it might work for a short time before the same thing happened again.

CR Kennedy wasted no time supplying a new camera body...great service, but same problem with the new body.

Then CR Kennedy rep drove up to my gallery to meet me...unable to believe I could have the same problem twice...but the camera failed in his hands and he did not make excuses, just gave me yet another new body.

Before he was even halfway home I had to phone him to say it was happening again.

He was getting frustrated...not with me, but with the situation. He said it can't just be the body, must be an electrical problem between body and lens. He said take it back to Ted's Cameras and fit a different lens. And while I was at it, try a different memory card as that could also cause interference. So I took it back and got them to fit a different lens...camera failed on about the second shot.

So finally we put in a NEW MEMORY CARD...and the camera never gave me another moment of trouble in several years of faithful service. So CR Kennedy (to their very great credit) replaced three camera bodies, all because of a problem with an SD Card.
01-28-2016, 04:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Goodall Quote
I have a story that speaks to this problem and also to the great service at CR Kennedy. This is way back to my first DSLR camera, a Pentax K-20. Same problem as described above, camera would freeze up, wouldn't work but wouldn't turn off either. The only solution was to take the battery out, pop it back in and start again. Then it might work for a short time before the same thing happened again.

CR Kennedy wasted no time supplying a new camera body...great service, but same problem with the new body.

Then CR Kennedy rep drove up to my gallery to meet me...unable to believe I could have the same problem twice...but the camera failed in his hands and he did not make excuses, just gave me yet another new body.

Before he was even halfway home I had to phone him to say it was happening again.

He was getting frustrated...not with me, but with the situation. He said it can't just be the body, must be an electrical problem between body and lens. He said take it back to Ted's Cameras and fit a different lens. And while I was at it, try a different memory card as that could also cause interference. So I took it back and got them to fit a different lens...camera failed on about the second shot.

So finally we put in a NEW MEMORY CARD...and the camera never gave me another moment of trouble in several years of faithful service. So CR Kennedy (to their very great credit) replaced three camera bodies, all because of a problem with an SD Card.
Ever since I bought new memory cards for my K3-2, I have never had a freeze again! I'm keeping this copy, everything else is perfect!