Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 II Super Resolution Example

I just shot this and added it to our article on pixel shifting.

Here's what it's like in a web-size crop. The ornament fills about 1/3th of the width of the original frame.

Conventional:
Name:  c.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  627.5 KB

Pixel shifting:
Name:  ps.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  687.8 KB

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I just shot this and added it to our article on pixel shifting.

Here's what it's like in a web-size crop. The ornament fills about 1/3th of the width of the original frame.

Conventional:
Attachment 273022

Pixel shifting:
Attachment 273023
The difference is obvious... Very impressive... The DXO one seems to have similar approach and it improves the sensor score from 1 inch to aps-c. It sounds here that this super shift will do the same thing and shift the performance from aps-c to a ff with 36mp.
06-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
The difference is obvious... Very impressive... The DXO one seems to have similar approach and it improves the sensor score from 1 inch to aps-c. It sounds here that this super shift will do the same thing and shift the performance from aps-c to a ff with 36mp.
Having compared the results to a photo shot with the D800 I'd say pixel shifting still falls short of 50% higher sensor resolution and larger pixel pitch, but it definitely comes close for these stationary subjects. There a few more examples on the homepage. I'm impressed by how seamlessly the K-3 accomplishes pixel shifting- it feels like taking a regular photo and only takes a few extra seconds.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Forum Member

Location: As I said before, I quit this forum due to people so rude to each other. Bye!
Thanks Adam for the pictures! I'm glad I dropped my money on the K3 II instead of the cheaper K3! Hopefully my kids can stay still enough for their better portrait picture!

06-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #5

Thanks Adam. There's certainly a huge difference in this example - almost makes the non-PS shot look out of focus. Which lens was used here?
06-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks mate appreciate your work. I look forward to recieving my camera, still saving and waiting for a few bugs to be ironed out first.
06-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #7

It's great to see Ricoh-Pentax innovating with its capture technology.

My take is that it is, at best, a niche feature.

If you have to shoot everything on a tripod and does not work with moving objects, I wonder if I'd use it.

If sharpness at this magnification is such an issue go for full-frame instead.

Last edited by johnhilvert; 06-22-2015 at 08:07 PM. Reason: rethinking a verb
06-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Holy Smokes Batman! I'm impressed! I wonder if this will work for long exposures, which may take 4x as long?
06-23-2015, 12:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kind of fall into line with johnhilbert's comments.

It is a pity the technology is limited to static subject use. For landscapes, if you are hoping to improve definition of fine detail like leaves/foliage, then anything short of dead still weather will likely undo the technological gains. And we know how often the weather wants to be cooperative with our photographic intentions...

Macro imaging might be a good practical candidate for use of pixel shifting - macro lens typically offer excellent sharpness to start with + subjects are likely to be still for the time it takes for pixel shifting, although it would be interesting to see if flashes could keep up.

And although pixel shifting can also help reduce noise when shooting at high ISOs, if limited to static subjects, why not just shoot at low ISO in the first instance given the photographer is likely already using one of those fancy three legged devices, they're called tripods I think, and avoid altogether high ISO noise problems. Night cityscapes might be an instance where there would be a benefit from a combination of low ISO + pixel shifting noise reduction, provided all elements of the composition were static.

However, we are seeing only the initial 1st generation implementation of this technology. As sensor read speeds improve over successive generations of cameras, the lag between images will reduce and the effects of movement will diminish. In ten years time we will probably look back at this current debate with mild amusement!
06-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
It's great to see Ricoh-Pentax innovating with its capture technology.

My take is that it is, at best, a niche feature.

If you have to shoot everything on a tripod and does not work with moving objects, I wonder if I'd use it.

If sharpness at this magnification is such an issue go for full-frame instead.
I guess I think it wouldn't be that hard to combine images in places where there are artifacts. As for the tripod thing, most good landscape photographers use a tripod for their images. Being able to use lower iso is probably as important as anything to maintaining resolution and dynamic range and leaving your tripod at home is the best way to end up shooting at iso 800 in the early morning hours (or higher).
06-23-2015, 03:28 AM   #11

The pixel shifting things didn't really interest me- it's not something I'd see myself using.

But I have to admit I've been pretty impressed with some of these examples.
06-23-2015, 05:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm anxious to see how this technology improves over time. I admit to being wowed by some of the examples, yet as others have said, if it requires perfect stillness, I'm not sure I'd get much use out of it. My main interest would be for landscape type shots. However, if I should find myself in the market for a new camera, having this capability certainly would be a nice bonus.
07-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #13

Hi Adam,

can you give me some details to the "super resolution". Does it use the mechanical shutter or the electronic shutter ?

So, if you take a picture with super resolution do you hear the shutter four times, like you can hear it three times when using HDR ?
Or is it an electronic shutter like a movie, so you hear it only once ?
07-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Pixel shift may be a niche feature but it is powerful never the less. If you are a macro shooter I can see this as very useful. Maybe useful for interior architecture as well.

Filling little niche markets is a reasonable idea as it seems wholesale innovation is receding in the digital imaging area at the moment.

If they can add the Olympus function as well in a future model that would be great as well.

Howie Be
07-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Pixel shift may be a niche feature but it is powerful never the less.
Agreed.

There are *lots* of little niches out there where this enhanced detail and colour reproduction might be useful, and where the use of a tripod isn't a big deal. Macro of course, but also architectural exteriors, real estate, product shots, studio still life, food photography, document reproduction, crime scene photos , camera attached to a microscope etc etc.

Lots of little niches can add up to decent sales.