Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I think I fixed it, and if anything thinks "no that is impossible" feel free to mention it, because I really want to find the cause. But what I did was really clean out the AF prism (I read that on another post) with a dust free cloth that I keep in a baggy for film negatives, I blew out dust in the focusing screen (but I added a hair, ugh!) and I reset everything. I took a bunch of photos and the only ones that are out of focus are slow shutter speed and other reasons I can probably explain. I had much many more photos in focus and in focus where I felt I focus. So maybe it just needed a good cleaning?
I am going to remember that solution. If the AF cannot see anything, it won't focus. Good move! Thanks for the note.

06-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you clean the AF prism? Photos or detailed description would help.
06-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
it was in another post in the forum. look for a circular thing for lack of a better word, at the bottom, when you use the sensor cleaning option on the k-3, I just stuck my finger in an old ilford anti dust and static cloth that I used for film, but I havent used it for years so I used it in hopes of it being pretty clean. I rubbed the prism with the cloth and it came out with black from some where, I dont know if I was over zealous or if it was that dirty, but it did that a few times and then blew dust out, making sure not to touch the sensor. I will find the post because I am terrible at giving instructions.

here is the link to the post and the af prism instructions is the first post after the question https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/291692-k...autofocus.html

---------- Post added 06-30-15 at 09:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I found this article just now, it has a cross section where the prism is K3 issue with focus - Photo.net Pentax Forum
06-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
it was in another post in the forum. look for a circular thing for lack of a better word, at the bottom, when you use the sensor cleaning option on the k-3, I just stuck my finger in an old ilford anti dust and static cloth that I used for film, but I havent used it for years so I used it in hopes of it being pretty clean. I rubbed the prism with the cloth and it came out with black from some where, I dont know if I was over zealous or if it was that dirty, but it did that a few times and then blew dust out, making sure not to touch the sensor. I will find the post because I am terrible at giving instructions.

here is the link to the post and the af prism instructions is the first post after the question https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/291692-k...autofocus.html

---------- Post added 06-30-15 at 09:03 PM ----------

I found this article just now, it has a cross section where the prism is K3 issue with focus - Photo.net Pentax Forum
Interesting. Thank you.