Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3II High res mode ??

So a few questions for K3II owners.

1.) Anyone use the K3II high res mode to shoot a waterfall or moving water and what was the results?

2.) Anyone use the K3II high res mode with a 10x ND filter for landscapes and did it work?

I had a K3II for a week, but the not turning off bit made me nervous so I sent it back. I'm thinking of trying it again, but I was wondering if the High res mode would work in these two landscape scenarios. Thanks.

06-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't use pixel shifting if anything's moving.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can't use pixel shifting if anything's moving.

Even if you want the water to blur in a waterfall shot or the sky and water to blur in a 10X ND shot?

I'm trying to understand why it wouldn't work if it won't.

Last edited by Qwntm; 06-30-2015 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typoes
06-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It's an interesting question. You can do it but results will be curious, and noise would improve with four exposures. Any shrubbery would look poor perhaps, but water itself on a fairly long exposure..?

Someone is bound to try soon in any case

06-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
It's an interesting question. You can do it but results will be curious, and noise would improve with four exposures. Any shrubbery would look poor perhaps, but water itself on a fairly long exposure..?

As soon as I get a working K3II and a waterfall, I'll let you know...

I don't see how a the high res mode could blur things any worse than a 10 second exposure could with a 10x ND filter. But I prefer actual results to thought experiments, and my brain hurts thinking about it.
07-01-2015, 12:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You'd probably get pixel-grid patterns, due to the nature of the beast, and not (not only) a uniform blur, esp. at tge edges of the waterfall, where you might have a water spurt in one exposure and not in the others: hey presto! checkerboard effect... :-\
07-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Let's hope so! We have so much falling water around here, it would be a nice feature.

Steve

07-01-2015, 01:57 AM   #8
Unregistered User

So you want silky smooth water with high detail?
07-01-2015, 05:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
No, I think he wants high detail in the static parts of the scene.

I also suspect that it will not work well in the water areas of the picture, based on the strange artifacts I have seen in other sample images where foliage has been moving in a breeze. Perhaps if somebody didn't mind spending some time post processing the scene, they could do a single, regular long exposure for the waterfall, and then do a pixel-shift image, and then copy the waterfall into the pixel-shifted image.
07-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Really? I don't spend that much time around here, but is the general level of photographic knowledge assumed to be that low these days?

---------- Post added 07-01-15 at 08:56 AM ----------

Something like that for the 10 stop neutral density filter....

And like this for the moving water, with all the stuff that's not moving really really sharp.
07-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Really? I don't spend that much time around here, but is the general level of photographic knowledge assumed to be that low these days?

And like this for the moving water, with all the stuff that's not moving really really sharp.
Yep, that is the use case and those sorts of subjects are common enough in this part of the world.

BTW...really like the photo from Anthony Lakes...

Steve
07-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This could work fine if you average a couple dozens of short, high-resolution, exposures.
07-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote

I was making a joke but I guess that did not quite get through so sorry for the confusion. Maybe a language barrier or cultural difference.

My bad.

07-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was making a joke but I guess that did not quite get through so sorry for the confusion. Maybe a language barrier or cultural difference.

My bad.

No worries. A smiley face would have helped understand the intent... I just took it as assumed lack of knowledge, which probably isn't too far from the truth usually.
07-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #15

From what I hear my dad just finished putting in a waterfall at his house in time for his annual 4th of july party, and I'm bringing my k3-ii and a tripod with me so I should be able to test this out. Don't think it's too large of a waterfall or a lot of moving water but could potentially be useful for purely scientific reasons.