Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 04:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax k-3 for video - is it good ? ( 5 questions )

Hi All. I have a Pentax K-5 ii camera and I am absolutely happy with my camera when it comes to stills.
It is an absolutely wonderful camera with an exceptional sensor.
Unfortunately, I cannot say the same thing about its video.
I know the K-5 model is quite old and it may explain why it is limited when it comes to video.
I've purchased a Pentax K-01. It is a good camera especially for the price but it is almost useless for video as it has a very bad jello effect.
I do not mind having it as a second camera but I cannot use it for video (blame my shaky hands).
Now, I am thinking about purchasing Pentax k-3 camera to take advantage of my set of Pentax lenses, which I really like.
But before I got a Pentax K-3 camera a few questions about Pentax K-3 video capabilities :
1. Jello effect - is it as bad as on a Pentax K-01 or not and similar to the one on a Pentax k-5 camera (or even less visible than that) ?
2. Does K-3 have a reautofocus during video shooting (on Pentax k-01 it can be done via pressing AF/AE-L button (with buttons customised as per my settings)).
3. Movie mode exposure settings / manual controls in movie mode (like in Pentax K-01 : : Menu > Movie 1 > Exposure Setting : P Av M).
4. Does K-3 have manual adjustment of white balance using a white sheet of paper (esp. important for movie mode) (like in Pentax K-01 : WB button on the four-way controller > Manual White Balance (right most icon) > point at a white sheet of paper > press the shutter release button).
5. Does K-3 have focus peaking in movie mode while shooting video.
First three questions are very important for me.
I would appreciate who DOES have a Pentax K-3 camera in their hands could answer my questions (after trying / checking it on the camera).
Thank you.

07-12-2015, 04:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Foma2 Quote
2. Does K-3 have a reautofocus during video shooting (on Pentax k-01 it can be done via pressing AF/AE-L button (with buttons customised as per my settings)).
Yup, in the same on-demand manner.

1. Jello effect - is it as bad as on a Pentax K-01 or not and similar to the one on a Pentax k-5 camera (or even less visible than that) ?
About the sale as the K-01, since the SR is electronic. The video image quality from the K-5 might actually be better, since it doesn't compress as much. On the other hand, the K-3's files are compatible with a wider range of players.

3. Movie mode exposure settings / manual controls in movie mode (like in Pentax K-01 : : Menu > Movie 1 > Exposure Setting : P Av M).
Yup.

4. Does K-3 have manual adjustment of white balance using a white sheet of paper (esp. important for movie mode) (like in Pentax K-01 : WB button on the four-way controller > Manual White Balance (right most icon) > point at a white sheet of paper > press the shutter release button).
Yup.

Nope.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-12-2015, 04:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Your experience with video on the K-01 is unusual. It is actually a decent camera for video, probably the best of the 16 MP generation from Pentax. You do have to turn off shake reduction for video though. That may be what is producing this jello effect. The K-3 has somewhat better video specifications but the difference is probably marginal for real world use.
07-12-2015, 06:06 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.
Now I am clear on all questions except the first one about a jello effect.
First of all, when I am talking about a jello effect I mean SR is on. Because when it is off there is no jello effect at all (due to fundamental principles of jello effect).
Second, all cameras (Pentax K-5 ii, Pentax K-01 and Pentax K-3) have the same type of image stabilization - sensor shift.
But I can clearly see that video shot with my Pentax K-5 (with SR on) has almost no jello effect, and the one shot with Pentax K-01 (with SR on) has a very bad jello effect.
I want to shoot video with SR on.
So, my question was is video shot with a Pentax K-3 has a jello effect similar to Pentax K-01 which is really bad or is it closer to Pentax K-5 ii which is quite negligable.
Thanks.

07-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The fundamental difference is that video SR on K5 is done by sensor shift like the stills. On K-01 and K3 video SR is done by software even though the stills are done by the hardware. Therefore the jello will be much the same on K3 as it is on K-01. You can find extensive threads on PF on this subject!!
07-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for enlightening me. I did not about it.
So, jello effect on k-3 will be closer to the one I saw on K-01 rather than K-5.
It is a bit disappointing. Thanks anyway.
07-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2. Does K-3 have a reautofocus during video shooting
Sort of. It is very slow and hunts badly. I don't use it.

Steve

07-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi All. I have a Pentax K-5 ii camera and I am absolutely happy with my camera when it comes to stills.
It is an absolutely wonderful camera with an exceptional sensor.
Unfortunately, I cannot say the same thing about its video.
I know the K-5 model is quite old and it may explain why it is limited when it comes to video.
I've purchased a Pentax K-01. It is a good camera especially for the price but it is almost useless for video as it has a very bad jello effect.
I do not mind having it as a second camera but I cannot use it for video (blame my shaky hands).
Now, I am thinking about purchasing Pentax k-3 camera to take advantage of my set of Pentax lenses, which I really like.
But before I got a Pentax K-3 camera a few questions about Pentax K-3 video capabilities :

1. Absolutely, the jello effect is greatly reduced on the K-3 vs. K-01. Several reviews agree with this assessment, and any claim to the contrary is simply incorrect. If I had to estimate the extent of elimination after using both models extensively, I would put it close to 80% elimination.

2. No. Are you serious about video? Learn how to manually focus. It takes some practice to become professional in your approach.

3. This isn't a question. What specifically are you asking? Controls are similar or more sophisticated than the K-01. A switch on the back allows for moving from stills to video, so you have a bit more control from the rear. TVa is recommended on any camera with frame rates linked to shutter speeds or 2x (as in 1/60th for 30 fps). Not P, not Av. Perhaps Google "dSLR video basics" if this isn't already apparent.

4. White balance is pretty much going to work fine off of a grey card, not a white sheet of paper. It works great on the K-3, but only if the operator has a remotely vague idea of what he or she is doing.

5. No. This is widely reported. The K-3 is far ahead of the K-01 in video and, particularly, audio quality. Not that the codec is better, but the sensor handles video better. The K-5 is pretty much a novelty implementation of video, uncompressed and impractical for modern video needs (as in editing). The K-3 is functional, but not designed to compete with the better implementations (Panasonic, Canon). However, the K-3 is far ahead of all previous Pentax, and will yield near-broadcast quality when used with higher quality optics.
07-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The K-5 is pretty much a novelty implementation of video, uncompressed and impractical for modern video needs (as in editing).
K-5 video isn't novel, it's not uncompressed and it's not impractical for video editing. Also, the sensor-shift shake reduction is preferred by many to the software based SR of more recent Pentax DSLRs... for video. There can be audio issues, however.

K-5 uses MJPEG compression, along with many other DSLRs of similar (mainly older) vintage. This is because it needs less processor power than newer more advanced codecs that have better compression (so smaller file sizes) such as h.264/AVC, which has largely replaced MJPEG these days. K-5 is good only for short videos at best quality, because of the large file sizes (FAT32 file size limit is 4GB), it also handles fast movement better than K-3 IMO. MJPEG is easier to edit than h.264/AVC because it compresses entirely I-frames, making frame accurate editing a doddle with any software (that can handle MJPEG).

I prefer K-5 video to K-3 video when taking short handheld videos, though a separate high quality audio recorder is preferable, which can replace the in-camera audio during editing. K-3 is probably best for tripod work with shake reduction off, and does longer videos, though I haven't directly compared them on tripods.

Last edited by Dave L; 07-12-2015 at 08:57 PM.
07-13-2015, 04:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had sold my K-5IIs and wanted to purchase a K-3 only for the full manual video control. The K-5iis produced larger video files and with no control on the settings. For my videos I need to control besides the aperture, also the shutter speed and ISO. For having a cinematic motion in the movie you need also to correlate the shutter speed and the FPS number (shutter speed = 1/2*fps).
Now I am using the K-3ii for video with SR disabled. I am using always a tripod or a slider. The colors are not the same like on a Canon DSLR, but for this case I need to experience more.