07-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
it is not.

[MakerNotes] PreviewImageSize : 720x480

exiftool -b -PreviewImage -w preview0055.jpg IMGP0055.DNG

file IMGP0055preview0055.jpg
IMGP0055preview0055.jpg: JPEG image data, baseline, precision 8, 720x480, frames 3
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
It is..
You must think I am a complete idiot
OK...I did a little sleuthing. Here are the bullet points:
  • According to ExifTool, there are two (2) embedded JPEG files in a Pentax K-3 DNG. One is large and the other small.
  • Small thumbnail = 720x480 (53KB)
  • Large thumbnail = 6016x4000 (2.7MB)
  • Both files can be extracted independently (I successfully did so)
  • This is a new one for me (codwalluped, I guess)
I am not a Faststone user, but I do remember a few troubleshooting threads from several months ago where a fine distinction was made on low vs. high resolution extracted JPEGs. I will have to look back and see if I can find the threads.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-15-2015 at 07:06 PM.
07-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Codswallop
So SteveDotL., just to clarify to all of us whom are inexorably confused. Is it considered good form if we use the term "codswulliping"(sp), if we are managing our raw and jpg files without using a third party method?

I.E. "I'm enjoying every moment of codswulliping (sp) my raw and jpg files, I don't care if it takes all night."

If for no other reason, I will now resort to any number of slower methods of work, just so that I can use my new favorite word.

Cheers,

RM-
07-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The embedded JPG is identical to the JPEG as the RAW+ in every way. Full res and same camera processing.
You only choose to develop the RAW if the embedded JPG shows that the photo is worth more work.
I posted this suggestion and have continued to use this method for many years because I do know what I'm talking about here.
The only camera I've come across where it is in fact useless is the GR. It's preview JPG is very small, not the full res.

@stevebrot
There's not much faster than viewing in FASTSTONE, press Ctrl+S to save out (you can even save at a low res for the web) then publish to the web.
I do it all the time...

---------- Post added 07-15-15 at 01:27 PM ----------

Me too. It's exceedingly useful and pretty powerful once you get to know it in depth. Most people don't.
Steve, are you sure about this? I *think* the embedded JPEG file, though it has the same pixel dimensions, is of the lowest quality that you can select for a JPEG when using the menu system. In other words, highly compressed.
07-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I *think* the embedded JPEG file, though it has the same pixel dimensions, is of the lowest quality that you can select for a JPEG when using the menu system. In other words, highly compressed.
The 6016x4000 file I extracted is only ~2.7 MB as opposed to 10-14 MB for an in-camera JPEG at highest quality.

Steve (the other)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-15-2015 at 07:06 PM.
07-16-2015, 12:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Steve, are you sure about this? I *think* the embedded JPEG file, though it has the same pixel dimensions, is of the lowest quality that you can select for a JPEG when using the menu system. In other words, highly compressed.
The extracted embeded JPG corresponds to the JPEG IQ level set in the camera even if you set to save RAW only
Try it for yourself. I have - I hate to repeat myself but "I have been using this method for years".

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The 6016x4000 file I extracted is only ~2.7 MB as opposed to 10-14 MB for an in-camera JPEG at highest quality.
With FASTSTONE you have the option to choose a compression level when you save out.

But, some folks here just love to argue because they can..
I honestly don't know why anyone would be a member of a forum with common interest if you aren't open to learning something new or undiscovered from others, I know I've learned a lot here and from people at other Pentax forums.
But that's fine, mock me if you will - he who laughs last and all that...

Cheerio.
07-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve (the other)
That's an L (one star) in Pentax JPEG parlance.

---------- Post added 07-16-15 at 04:39 PM ----------

It is..
You must think I am a complete idiot if you imagine for one moment that I would explain about this useful technique and tell you that I have been using this for many years if all I was getting was a very small image out of the RAW files???? I have said that the embeded JPG is exactly the same res as the RAW because as a point of actual fact.. It is!!
EXIF tool may be reading something innacurately/differently to FASTSTONE, because I have K-3 DNG files here where the embedded JPEG is exactly the same res as the RAW and the same as you get if you shot RAW+. You might also like to try InstantJPEGfromRAW (free) - you'll get the exact same result as Faststone. Professionals use this tool for fast deployment of JPG from their RAW.
BTW: I do see in my EXIF reader 'FaceDetectFrameSize 720 480' - which has nothing to do with the actual embedded JPEG size.
I downloaded and started to install InstantJPEGfromRAW but it mentioned it would quit all apps and log me out. I can't say I've seen a software install ask to do something that invasive. Is that what you did to install this, too? Anything to be concerned about? Thanks.
07-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The extracted embeded JPG corresponds to the JPEG IQ level set in the camera even if you set to save RAW only
I have two files currently on my hard drive, both extracted from a K-3 DNG, neither of which reflects the JPEG settings (highest quality) on the camera.

With FASTSTONE you have the option to choose a compression level when you save out.
I used dcraw with the -e option to extract the preview file, not Faststone. The byte count of the extracted file reflects the count as recorded in the EXIF for the JPEG preview image, not that for an in-camera conversion.

Is there any chance you are actually saving a JPEG conversion of the RAW image?

As for people arguing just because they can...I don't know that you are being mocked. You suggested that RAW+ had little utility because it is possible to use a computer running Faststone to extract a full-resolution preview JPEG. In the course of defending that assertion, it came out that there is indeed a full resolution JPEG preview image included in the RAW. Ding! Ding! You win! Very cool, in my opinion. There is also no doubt that you can CTRL-S from Faststone and get a JPEG. Whether that file is the preview image makes little difference. I can also do the same quite handily using dcraw*, but FWIW, I find that much less useful than simply using RAW+ or doing the in-camera conversion on a per-file basis.

* Faststone uses dcraw internally

Steve

(...is admitted argumentative at times, but usually in the interest in getting access to some facts...)

07-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Try it for yourself. I have - I hate to repeat myself but "I have been using this method for years".

But, some folks here just love to argue because they can..
I honestly don't know why anyone would be a member of a forum with common interest if you aren't open to learning something new or undiscovered from others, I know I've learned a lot here and from people at other Pentax forums.
But that's fine, mock me if you will - he who laughs last and all that...

Cheerio.
That's not what I'm finding. I just took two shots in RAW-only of the same scene. The first was with the camera JPEG engine set to XS(1) and the second with the JPEG engine set to L(3). I then extracted the embedded JPEG files from the corresponding RAWs and they both are about 3 MB in size. Opening them in Preview, the Inspector reports both as 6016 x 4000 pixels. That combined with the file size indicates the embedded JPEGs were both recorded as L(1) and not either XS(1) or L(3).
07-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

That's not what I'm finding. I just took two shots in RAW-only of the same scene. The first was with the camera JPEG engine set to XS(1) and the second with the JPEG engine set to L(3). I then extracted the embedded JPEG files from the corresponding RAWs and they both are about 3 MB in size. Opening them in Preview, the Inspector reports both as 6016 x 4000 pixels. That combined with the file size indicates the embedded JPEGs were both recorded as L(1) and not either XS(1) or L(3).
I'm glad to see that this seems to be cleared up. See my other post on the topic.

So it appears that Pentax raw files contain both a low-res JPG preview image, as well as a L(1), full resolution image.

That being said, I'm using RAW+ on my K-3 to save XS JPEGs to my EyeFi for Instagram purposes. So it's still a useful setting to have.