Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2015, 03:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3ii and image stabilization

I wonder, if, with the improved IS of the K3ii, the real benefit will be seen on longer focal length lenses where image stabilization is more difficult. Especially, those cases where the IS was just not good enough to hand hold, e.g., say as you approach 200-300mm. Wondering if that extra stop allows for more keepers in that longer range.

07-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Slightly. My experience coming from a K20D is that at 200mm, SR becomes a bit irrelevant. By the time you pull out a 200mm you're after shallow DoF and a sharp subject or something sharp enough to crop at a deep DoF. Even though the K-3ii SR is blatantly superior to the K20D, it really is only useful in the <100mm range. Over 100mm, you simply can't substitute for a steady mount or fast shutter speed; you'll keep wanting more out of the SR.
07-17-2015, 05:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was hoping for more. I have OS on a Nikkor 70-300 and it works pretty well, even out to 300 on my Nikon. I was hoping that the improved internal IS would narrow that gap significantly.

Of course, it is better to have a steady mount, but it is nice to have the capability for when it is not available.
07-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I was hoping for more. I have OS on a Nikkor 70-300 and it works pretty well, even out to 300 on my Nikon. I was hoping that the improved internal IS would narrow that gap significantly.

Of course, it is better to have a steady mount, but it is nice to have the capability for when it is not available.
I've tested the two cameras side by side- albeit with a 50mm lens- and wasn't able to observe any practical difference. I pushed each camera to the limit was able to get sharp hand-helds at 0.7s at night with both. Will re-do the test with a longer lens to see if there's any difference, but I think the main benefit of the new SR system is the ability to precisely fix the position of the sensor for pixel shifting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe you have very steady hands?

I'm wondering if the difference will be felt more at longer lengths. Look forward to your findings.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've tested the two cameras side by side- albeit with a 50mm lens- and wasn't able to observe any practical difference. I pushed each camera to the limit was able to get sharp hand-helds at 0.7s at night with both. Will re-do the test with a longer lens to see if there's any difference, but I think the main benefit of the new SR system is the ability to precisely fix the position of the sensor for pixel shifting.