Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Turnaround time on K3ii Repair

My K3ii was received by Precision Camera Repair on the 20th. Got the return shipping notice on the 23rd. I am impressed with the quick turn around.

07-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is good! That' s the way it should be.
Unfortunately that is not the case in all areas .
07-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That's Great

I was informed by Pentax that it would take up to at least 4 weeks. I've sent 3 back with the issue, purchased a 4th, and it's in limbo. B&H is not sending out any K-3II until they have only good one's in stock.
07-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
B&H is not sending out any K-3II until they have only good one's in stock.
Wow. I looked on the B&H site and it says more are coming soon, so basically none are currently in stock and the K3 is back to pre-order status. If B&H sent them all back to Pentax, a large portion must have been affected for them to prefer to send them back for fixing rather than to deal with a lot of returns. Well, at least the issue is being sorted out.

07-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am glad B&H did this although many, perhaps most, of the returns seem to have been by folks with working cameras who just did not want the surprise of problems later.
07-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The quick turn around suggests that Pentax pre-positioned parts to handle this problem. That's good planning for once. B&H returning their stock, basically reduces their return costs and Pentax's also. A bit of waiting on the customer's part will negate the problem of getting a bad camera. It's just good basic customer service all around.

I hope that this sets up Pentax's QA/QC for a pretty un-eventful FF roll-out.

07-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
My K3ii was received by Precision Camera Repair on the 20th. Got the return shipping notice on the 23rd. I am impressed with the quick turn around.
That's great to hear!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I am glad B&H did this although many, perhaps most, of the returns seem to have been by folks with working cameras who just did not want the surprise of problems later.
Makes me wonder if we'll see a BF refurb sale due to all of them going back to Ricoh.. surely they cannot be resold as new now. Wonder about the ones that were new old stock?
07-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine is scheduled for Delivery today by UPS.

To my knowledge Ricoh does not sell refubished cameras.
07-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #10

Woot was selling what were supposed to be refurbished Pentax lenses so I would guess Ricoh sells refurbished bodies too.

Good to hear about the fast turn around time. Was it a repair or did they send you a new camera (check serial #)?

Maybe this thread should be merged with this one?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/299949-reports-k-3ii-servi...ry-repair.html
07-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

All is Well

Just to let this Thread know, I got my 4th K-3II today. (2 Amazon & 2 B&H) They were true to their word to stop shipping those with issues. My serial # 621260729xxxx. It's great to have it and know I'm not sending it back.
07-31-2015, 07:03 PM   #12

k3 ii service recall

Unfortunately my k3 ii falls within the recalled serial # & since I got it in May outside B&H's return widow. I haven't had any trouble with it. I was to pleased the the conversation i had with Pentax on their call line, especially when they said I had to foot the shipping bill to the repair service since they have deemed it "warranty work". Its a factory defect & quality control problem- not a random part failure. I haven't talked to precision yet, since I had a shoot at the Thai Embassy this week & other work next couple of weeks then off the Europe. So I'm faced with hoping it continues to work & have my old pentax kd10 as backup or taking a gamble on the turn around. There doesn't seem to be much feed back here on the repairs/turn around time.
jeff
07-31-2015, 07:56 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have had it this long without a failure you are unlikely to have one now. Many users report taking lots of photos with camera in the suspect range without problems. Most, not all, problems seem to have happened right away.
07-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
If you have had it this long without a failure you are unlikely to have one now. Many users report taking lots of photos with camera in the suspect range without problems. Most, not all, problems seem to have happened right away.
I respectfully disagree. I owned a K3II for 2 months and 2,000 shots. It had the GPS lock up exactly twice. Never knew when it would happen. Out of the blue it would happen again after a month of heavy shooting. I did not know what caused it or how to prevent it from happening.

The good news was that when it did happen, just remove and replace the battery and you are good to go for another month or two. I never thought it was a serious defect. Most photographers could certainly lean to live with it. Just an occasional and rare hiccup. But, for the money one pays for such a nice new camera one expects 100% flawless performance, at least for a long time.