Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 01:17 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments. What I’ve always admired about this forum is the honesty and friendliness.

I’ve been a Pentax user for the last 30 years, and I think what I was looking for was confirmation that the K3 can hold its own in the big, wide world, which it can.

The problem is, recently I’ve been surrounded by a lot of professionals, and I think I’ve become seduced by the ‘dark side’, and possibly even conditioned by their constant praise of their Canikons. It isn’t about bodies either, Canon’s EF 24-70mm f2.8L II USM and its bigger brother, the 70-200 are the professionals ‘must have’ lenses, I keep being told. Doubt has inevitably set in.

We’ve just started a 4x4 and outdoor adventure website, and since April I’ve been in the incredibly fortunate position of having a new press 4x4 delivered to my front door every week. So, 50% of the vehicle shots are action, the rest are stationary. I also do product reviews, so close up photos of gadgets are often taken.

We are constantly being told that short movies are becoming more important on websites these days, hence my colleagues decision for the 7D 2, and my concerns about the K3’s.

As was mentioned earlier, for pure work purposes I want to upgrade, and I want the best I can afford. I really wish Pentax would hurry up with the FF!

Having said that, my old K20 coupled with the Sigma 10-20mm and DA55-300mm aren't doing a bad job, here are a few examples of the Land Rover Discover Sport that I’ve been playing with this week. All are Jpeg, unfettled and straight from the camera.

Sigma 10-20mm images...

DA55-300mm images…

08-14-2015, 02:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian.T Quote
The problem is, recently I’ve been surrounded by a lot of professionals, and I think I’ve become seduced by the ‘dark side’, and possibly even conditioned by their constant praise of their Canikons. It isn’t about bodies either, Canon’s EF 24-70mm f2.8L II USM and its bigger brother, the 70-200 are the professionals ‘must have’ lenses, I keep being told. Doubt has inevitably set in.
LOL.
The same process is happening big time in Nikon and Canon land now due to Sony and cameras like the A7rII, the smartphone integration, all those new Zeiss lenses etc etc. It's never ending.

Eg:
Hello Sony. Goodbye Nikon. The Story of why I am Switching from Nikon to Sony. | Stuck in Customs
6 Photographers who have switched to Sony...from Nikon or Canon | Flourish | Free Resources for Photography
and
08-14-2015, 02:30 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
If you actually look at the measurements, they are right on top of each other for SNR and DR (except at base ISO which you probably wont be at much anyway since you want to keep your shutter speed as fast as possible).
Well, the K3 has a significant advantage below iso 400. The K3 does have a slight advantage in sports iso on DXO Mark.

The 7D MK II wouldn't be a camera for me. I shoot a lot of portraits and landscapes and I would be paying more for a camera that does worse in those fields. But, if I shot sports, I certainly would be interested in it -- mostly because of the auto focus module and Canon's fast glass. But it certainly wouldn't come cheaply (is it possible to shoot sports cheaply?). The difference in SNR is minimal at higher isos and you are right that that is where you live when you are shooting sporting events.
08-14-2015, 05:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
30 years ago everybody who worked for a big newspaper in the US used Nikon and everybody else were idiots. Fifteen years ago if you didn't have a Canon you were an idiot. I think Pentax people are a little sensitive having been idiots both times. My completely unbiased opinion is that Pentax has always been a great value and historically has been underrated.
Pentax has never played in the Pro digital segment and let their 'Service' arm reflect a consumer standard such that will (without upgrading it worldwide) never attract drove of Pro shooters.

If you buy into Pentax and feel inferior due to non PRO use of the non Pro product you've bought then I think the class idiot might actually apply.

That doesn't mean that Pentax doesn't have better value and a better product as lets face it someone has to pay for an Xhour repair/replace service capability and it's not the PRO's who do its every consumer product Nikon/Canon sell to support it , so just maybe it's not Pentax shooters that are such fools .?

To the OP

Unless your intent on producing standard Videos where you control the Focus manual (no easy task for chasing vehicles) , Then either buy a video camera + still camera or stick to DSLR's that support AF whilst videoing something no Pentax Dslr can do yet (AFAIN).

08-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Unless your intent on producing standard Videos where you control the Focus manual (no easy task for chasing vehicles) , Then either buy a video camera + still camera or stick to DSLR's that support AF whilst videoing something no Pentax Dslr can do yet (AFAIN).
The K-01/30/50/500 and K-3 all use contrat detect AF during video. The implementation is very basic and very slow.

The primary problem is the electronic stabilization. Video is just a feature checkbox for Pentax, it remains to be seen if the FF is any different.
08-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I wonder if he's wearing that bedazzled fedora and Affliction shirt ironically.
08-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keeping up with the Joneses is an expensive hobby, and it doesn't necessarily translate to better photos. I think Canikon (Canon in particular) are chosen by many pro photographers because of the quality of their assistance and services, more than anything. Their cameras are expensive for what they are, but they do have phenomenal glass in their line up - but it will also cost you. If you're not willing to spent at least 10 grand in a good body and 2-3 good lenses, you won't see big advantages over a top of the line APS-C system, when printing pictures in something like 12x12 or even 12x16 or 12x18 albums - this is in practical terms, I'm not talking about measurebation.

I've seen a couple of photographers that did portraits and events with f1.4 and f1.2 lenses on full frame, where the thin DOF was distracting because the backgrounds were busy. The backgrounds are always busy on events by the way, so you really need to know what you are doing.

I've also seen work by some people, and one Australian lady comes to my mind as I type, where she used lenses like the 85mm f1.2 to perfection - her work is just wonderful - but everything she showcases is very, very carefully posed and there was evidently a lot of thought about what kind of background they are posing against. Distracting backgrounds have a lot more to do with composition than the lenses themselves.

Obviously I'm still learning and early in my walk (only 2 years since I switched from point and shoots), so I can't give examples of my own work to back this up. It's just my observations...

08-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Keeping up with the Joneses is an expensive hobby, and it doesn't necessarily translate to better photos. I think Canikon (Canon in particular) are chosen by many pro photographers because of the quality of their assistance and services, more than anything. Their cameras are expensive for what they are, but they do have phenomenal glass in their line up - but it will also cost you. If you're not willing to spent at least 10 grand in a good body and 2-3 good lenses, you won't see big advantages over a top of the line APS-C system, when printing pictures in something like 12x12 or even 12x16 or 12x18 albums - this is in practical terms, I'm not talking about measurebation.

I've seen a couple of photographers that did portraits and events with f1.4 and f1.2 lenses on full frame, where the thin DOF was distracting because the backgrounds were busy. The backgrounds are always busy on events by the way, so you really need to know what you are doing.

I've also seen work by some people, and one Australian lady comes to my mind as I type, where she used lenses like the 85mm f1.2 to perfection - her work is just wonderful - but everything she showcases is very, very carefully posed and there was evidently a lot of thought about what kind of background they are posing against. Distracting backgrounds have a lot more to do with composition than the lenses themselves.

Obviously I'm still learning and early in my walk (only 2 years since I switched from point and shoots), so I can't give examples of my own work to back this up. It's just my observations...
Interesting post. My perception has always been a thin DOF helps remove the distraction of backgrounds. I'm curious as to what others think, recognizing that maybe no two people see a photograph the same way.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 08-14-2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Added "helps" to removes distractions.
08-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
My perception has always been a thin DOF removes the distraction of backgrounds.
If you have a hodge podge of light and dark and clashing colours then the background can still be distracting no matter how out of focus
08-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
If you have a hodge podge of light and dark and clashing colours then the background can still be distracting no matter how out of focus
Good point. I should have written "helps remove distractions". In fact, I'll try to edit my prior post.
08-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #26

Thanks for all your comments. What I’ve always admired about this forum is the honesty and friendliness.

I’ve been a Pentax user for the last 30 years, and I think what I was looking for was confirmation that the K3 can hold its own in the big, wide world, which it can.

We’ve just started a 4x4 and outdoor adventure website, and since April I’ve been in the incredibly fortunate position of having a new press 4x4 delivered to my front door every week. So, 50% of the vehicle shots are action, the rest are stationary. I also do product reviews, so close up photos of gadgets are often taken.

We are constantly being told that short movies are becoming more important on websites these days, hence my colleagues decision for the 7D 2, and my concerns about the K3’s.

As was mentioned earlier, for pure work purposes I want to upgrade, and I want the best I can afford. I really wish Pentax would hurry up with the FF!

Having said that, my old K20 coupled with the Sigma 10-20mm and DA55-300mm aren't doing a bad job, here are a few examples of the Land Rover Discover Sport that I’ve been playing with this week. All are Jpeg, unfettled and straight from the camera.

Sigma 10-20mm images...

DA55-300mm images…

Nice shots of the new LR SUV that is on top of my list, too (currently holding a used 2008 mod. LR Disco 3 TDV6)... ;-) Despite the proof that less expensive and even older tools of Pentax can do this, I only found the 3 offroad countryside pics on that dull day a bit too underexposed - if you could light them up they're going to be as dynamic and fantastic as the others before! Love it.
10-17-2015, 01:04 AM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks PentxOrni. The Discovery Sport is a good car, but it's essentially a posh Freelander 3!

As an update, I borrowed a K3-II + 18-135mm last month and loved the combination, and unsurprisingly I've decided that Pentax is really the only way for me to go, it's far better value imo.

During the month I had a the Mini Countryman and full fat Range Rover on loan, and the 18-135mm didn't do a bad job as you can see, but I started another thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/305989-16-5...m-dilemma.html to try and figure out which lens would be best suited for my line of work. Life's full of dilemmas!

10-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Recently, a photographer colleague of mine (who's heavily invested in Canon), bought the above camera, because he said, A: it's brilliant, and B: it's equally brilliant at videoing, which is important in our line of work. Because he's a professional photographist, I began to think that it's a better camera than our K3-II, and that I should buy one - for work.

However, visiting the many comparison sites on t'internet, 'our' K3-II always comes up on top, even though the Canon has 65 focal points compared to the K3-II's 25, shoots 10 frames per second compared to the K3-II's 8.3, and has 90% more available lenses, plus more.

I'm actually quite glad that 'we' came out on top, but going off the comparisons above, I'm slightly surprised.

I've read on the forum that the video isn't that great on the K3-II, so for the time being I'm going to keep with my old K20 and hold off buying one and wait to see how the FF performs.
how much does it tell you about comparison sites then Pentax is always coming out on top...
Ask yourself what you want and do not let comparison sites tell you what you need.
10-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks PentxOrni. The Discovery Sport is a good car, but it's essentially a posh Freelander 3!

As an update, I borrowed a K3-II + 18-135mm last month and loved the combination, and unsurprisingly I've decided that Pentax is really the only way for me to go, it's far better value imo.

During the month I had a the Mini Countryman and full fat Range Rover on loan, and the 18-135mm didn't do a bad job as you can see, but I started another thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/305989-16-5...m-dilemma.html to try and figure out which lens would be best suited for my line of work. Life's full of dilemmas
if your colleagues accept you using Sigma lenses, why not Pentax cameras? The video issues seem serious for some (maybe rent a goodvideo cam?), but looks like Pentax can do everything else.

also, are you not using a CP? maybe the windows are supposed to look driverless?
10-26-2015, 12:43 AM   #30

Original Poster
Acceptance doesn't bother me, I just wanted the best set up for the job in hand, and last week I bought a K3-II cw 18-135mm lens. I will buy a few more lenses, and a dedicated video camera in the coming months, but this set up has proven to be very good.

Thank you for all your thoughts and comments, much appreciated.