Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SCKOMS Quote
Has anyone had an issue like this before?
Sounds like a broken spring or connection arm. Back to SIgma.

08-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SCKOMS Quote
Has anyone had an issue like this before?
Not common, but not unknown.

Steve
08-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #18

I had this issue with my DA* 16-50 during the summer vacation taking pictures in bright sunlight. Thanks to this thread I found and fixed the problem yesterday. The aperture lever was stuck. After opening it up, the metal ring on which the aperture rods are was a little bent. I bent it back straight carefully and now it's working as it should.
08-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #19

I recently got my third K-3II. The first two I sent back due to their serial numbers. I took my new one on vacation and I noticed the overexposure problem and abnormally slow shutter speeds for the lighting I had that is described above. I checked the aperture lever on all my lenses several times and it doesn't seem to be sticking on any of them. I didn't have any bad pictures with my DA*60-250, but I had a several with my DA*50-135 and one or two with my Sigma 17-50EX. I'm not 100% convinced that it's a lens problem and not the camera. I never ever had this problem with my K-5. If you have any advice on how I can further test the camera and lenses I would appreciate it. I'm still within the 30 day return policy on the camera if that is the problem. The strange thing is there are a lot of good exposed pictures and then a couple bad ones happen, even with about the same lighting situations. I did notice that on the two Pentax lenses the aperture lever is parallel to the lens body and the Sigma one is at a slight angle. I don't know if that's normal for Sigma lenses or not. Help! I'm so frustrated right now trying to figure out what's going on.

08-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #20

I decided to call Ricoh since I didn't get any response from my last post. He said to first try a factory reset and then try each of the lenses on the K-3II and then on my old K-5 to see if the problem crops up. He suggested that if it does on the K3II and not the K-5 that it would be a camera problem and to exchange it. I'm hoping the reset does the trick or at least I can determine that it is in fact the camera or a particular lens. This troubleshooting is difficult when there are so many factors involved.
08-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #21
Pentaxian

yes it is! good luck
08-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #22

Original Poster
UPDATE: I got my lens back from Sigma. The paperwork says "Replaced seesaw unit; repaired bayonet mount". Repairs were done under warranty.

What is a seesaw unit?

08-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #23

more testing and camera reset

I did some additional testing/shooting to try and determine if the problem is with the camera or lens. I contacted Ricoh and they said it could be that the actuator arm in the camera is sticking or that it could be the aperture lever or blades of the lens. It's so sporadic that it's hard to figure it out. I was going to attach a photo but the jpeg is 8.5MB which I think is too big. I sent an email to B&H to see what my options are since I am close to the 30 day return/exchange policy.

The one thing I find strange is that when I did the camera reset as Ricoh suggested it didn't put all the settings back to when I got the camera. For example the Flicker Reduction remained at 60 Hz (default being 50 Hz) and the Color Space remaining at Adobe RGB (the default being sRGB). I thought the Lens Correction default was also on, but that remained off. I'm guessing the date, language and world time may remain changed even after a reset so that didn't surprise me that those remained changed. Does anyone have information on exactly what settings are reset and which ones remain changed after doing a camera reset?