Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 II + Metz 48 AF-1 not compatible?

I bought the K-3 II a couple of weeks ago (loving the camera BTW), and I've been shooting mostly landscapes with it until yesterday, when I tried out my trusty Metz 48 AF-1 flash... To my surprise, though, the K-3 seems to be having issues with keeping the exposure constant, especially in rear curtain mode. I've also noticed that the AF assist light doesn't work. I've updated to the latest FW, but the problem is still here. The P-TTL and HSS apparently work, as does tha flash zoom feature, but the random exposure issues are driving me crazy... I've tried the flash on my Pentax K-500 and it works fine, so it's either the FW incompatibility or my new K-3 II is having issues.
Is anyone else using this flash with the K-3 (II)? Could it be the K-3 II that's the problem?

08-20-2015, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rayn Quote
I bought the K-3 II a couple of weeks ago (loving the camera BTW), and I've been shooting mostly landscapes with it until yesterday, when I tried out my trusty Metz 48 AF-1 flash... To my surprise, though, the K-3 seems to be having issues with keeping the exposure constant, especially in rear curtain mode. I've also noticed that the AF assist light doesn't work. I've updated to the latest FW, but the problem is still here. The P-TTL and HSS apparently work, as does tha flash zoom feature, but the random exposure issues are driving me crazy... I've tried the flash on my Pentax K-500 and it works fine, so it's either the FW incompatibility or my new K-3 II is having issues.
Is anyone else using this flash with the K-3 (II)? Could it be the K-3 II that's the problem?
I don't have the Metz 48 or the K-3ii, but with regards to the AF assist light -- it won't work in AF-C mode and it only kicks on when the camera has trouble focusing because of darkness, which isn't very often. Try pointing the camera at something dark black while in a really low light environment and see if the AF assist works then. My K-3 and AF540 give very consistent results.
08-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I don't have the Metz 48 or the K-3ii, but with regards to the AF assist light -- it won't work in AF-C mode
Thanks for that. I had no idea in AF-C mode disables the AF assist.
It works fine now. Actually everything works now except for the occasional odd exposure issue. It doesn't happen often, but enough to make me unsure of using it in time critical situations such as weddings, etc..
Anyway, I'll do some testing tomorrow while shooting a club event.. maybe it was just a fluke.
08-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for that. I had no idea in AF-C mode disables the AF assist.
It works fine now. Actually everything works now except for the occasional odd exposure issue. It doesn't happen often, but enough to make me unsure of using it in time critical situations such as weddings, etc..
Anyway, I'll do some testing tomorrow while shooting a club event.. maybe it was just a fluke.
Try to keep your ISO consistent. If you ISO 1600 works pretty well in the club, then set it manually and don't use Auto ISO. I think auto has been known to play a little strange with flash.

11-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #5

Are you still having exposure issues? My dad has the same flash on his K3ii and was having constant exposure problems even though the same unit worked perfectly on a Kx, K 200 and K5.

Upgrading the flash's firmware to the latest version seems to have solved it, even though the latest version pre dates the K3 and therefore doesn't mention it.

Hope this helps.