Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should i upgrade?

I now own a K-50 and K-30 and am very unhappy with the image quality I am getting, very soft, indoors and out, I like to take indoor pictures not using my flask and both cameras induce lots of noise, setting the ISO very high, I have a few good lenses and get the same results using them all, DA 21 Limited, FA 31 Limited, DA 40 Limited, DA 70 Limited, DA 35, DA 50 and DA*16-50. I was thinking about purchasing the K3 and hoping for better results, what are your thoughts

Last edited by kjphilippona; 08-23-2015 at 06:44 PM.
08-23-2015, 11:35 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Won't help. You need to improve your technique, use flash or use a tripod.

If you are getting soft images with your current gear, which is more than good enough, a new camera is not going to help.
08-23-2015, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given the very capable kit you're mentioning, both cameras and lenses, I can't help wondering two things:
  1. Are you shooting in RAW mode?
  2. Do you do some basic post production (say, in Lightroom or Optics Pro) to enhance your images?
If the answers to both are yes, you should actually be getting images that pop off the screen or print. While, at the end of the day, the K-3 may deliver somewhat better IQ, I doubt that it's the equipment here ...
08-23-2015, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IT seems to me that if you prefer shooting indoors without a flash, using a High ISO, that noise is going to be a natural result. If you don't like using the on-camera flash, consider using natural light or off-camera lighting or reflectors to allow you to use a lower ISO.

As for "soft", what is your shutter speed and aperture?

I'd recommend cleaning your camera and lenses to rule out obvious reasons for softness

08-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Also to the point, if you prefer indoors at high ISO without flash, there are some camera that will help. The Nikon D4s and Sony A7s are specifically built for low light situations. And the 645z is quite good. There is no current K-body with an "s" (sensitivity) designation.
08-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Could you post some sample images with complete exif data? That might help us...

Your gear is fantastic, to say the least. I've got a K-30, and i've got no problems getting sharp images indoors with my kit lens. Although, admittedly, it is a lot harder than using my M 50 1.7, or 2.8 lenses.

---------- Post added 08-23-15 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteQuote:
There is no current K-body with an "s" (sensitivity) designation.
then what is "SV" mode?
08-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whereas the sensor of the K-3 is a slightly newer design with some parameters improved, it has a higher pixel density than the 16MP sensors of the K30/K50/K5.

So, in the hands of an able photographer you could expect some improvement of resolution, but not very likely in respect to noise on high ISO.

08-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For shooting in the dark, I'd recommend the EPIC RED DRAGON digital video camthat offers 80dB of S/N and 16.5 ev of dynamic range (in comparison, the Sony A7s is the pony version for children). Other than that, a Pentax K DSLR and tripod would do it as well.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-23-2015 at 12:22 PM.
08-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
then what is "SV" mode?
Sensitivity priority as a program mode has nothing to do with the "s" designation of the 2 bodies mentioned by normhead.

The Sony A7s is a mirrorless FF body with reduced pixel density (12MP only), to offer the least possible noise at extreme ISO values.
The Nikon D4s is also a FF with 16MP only, obviously for the same reason.

To make such features an official designation, you should be a forerunner on that field. Pentax would have been in that position when the K-x was introduced. Later, with the K-r and K-5, this feature was not unique anymore.

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-23-2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Some corrections
08-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Won't help. You need to improve your technique, use flash or use a tripod.
This. The K-3 will give you more resolution and better colors at night, but it won't solve the problem if you're getting blurry images.

If you can post a few samples with exif intact, we'll take a look at them and see if we can find the cause.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Given the very capable kit you're mentioning, both cameras and lenses, I can't help wondering two things:
  1. Are you shooting in RAW mode?
  2. Do you do some basic post production (say, in Lightroom or Optics Pro) to enhance your images?
If the answers to both are yes, you should actually be getting images that pop off the screen or print. While, at the end of the day, the K-3 may deliver somewhat better IQ, I doubt that it's the equipment here ...
No I do not use any PP and do not shoot in RAW.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
08-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #12

Your pictures are just not that detailed because of (missing) light. K3 may behave even worse at iso 6400 in this lightning. I just used flash off the body and white umbrella in similar situation and kept the iso at 100.
08-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

I usually don't go above ISO 1600, and i like to stay below ISO 800

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
"s" designation of the 2 bodies
That makes sense!!
08-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The last shot, for example, does not seem so bad to me. It seems to be taken in difficult conditions, it's wide open at high ISO in very low light at a probably not stationary target...

If taken in RAW with all noise reduction and adjustments done in PP it would look much better.

Maybe you should try to pursue this direction to get the better results you are after

I think you have plenty good glass and a new camera would probably not be of any help...
08-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I will try shooting in RAW and get a copy of Lightroom.