Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
BTW: don't miss not having a onboard flash at all, which I never used anyway.
I agree with everything you said. It is just a matter of need and priorities. I almost never use my built-in flash so the lack of one is not a deal breaker for me. So, I have made up my mind. I will go for K-3 II. That japanese blog post said that AF is better (never mind by how much, it is still better). GPS is something that I need much more than built-in flash. And even though pixel shift has limited applications, I think that I will have a use of it more than I would from built-in flash.

08-27-2015, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
I agree with everything you said. It is just a matter of need and priorities. I almost never use my built-in flash so the lack of one is not a deal breaker for me. So, I have made up my mind. I will go for K-3 II. That japanese blog post said that AF is better (never mind by how much, it is still better). GPS is something that I need much more than built-in flash. And even though pixel shift has limited applications, I think that I will have a use of it more than I would from built-in flash.
Excellent - we made the opposite decisions but used the same logic (our shooting habits vs features vs. cost) to make the decision. I expect you will be quite happy with your choice.
08-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #18

Original Poster
So, I bought K-3 II today and I am very pleased with performance so far. But, nothing can go without problems.

1. My PQI Air Card adapter refuses to work with this camera. It just states memory card error if I insert microsd in the wifi adapter. But card worked normally with my K-r. Seems to me that I will have to invest in flu card, but not so soon.
( if somebody does not know what PQI Air Card is: PQI Air Card - PQI Group). And if anybody asks why I bought one, well, I paid $7 (NIB) even though the regular price is well over $50

2. When I install my Yongnuo 560III flash, it sits on top of the GPS/pentaprism housing (actually touches it, as I have to apply a little bit of force to install the flash)

All in all, small problems.

Last edited by zvon; 08-31-2015 at 04:30 PM.
08-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My PQI Air Card adapter refuses to work with this camera.
Might not matter but you should try both SD card slots. Just a thought.

09-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Might not matter but you should try both SD card slots. Just a thought.
I tried it the first time.. All combinations. It just doesn't work. I have sent a support mail to PQI and Ricoh but I doubt that anything will be done about that It is not a big deal. But still, makes me wonder...
09-01-2015, 07:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

So, I bought K-3 II today and I am very pleased with performance so far. But, nothing can go without problems.

1. My PQI Air Card adapter refuses to work with this camera. It just states memory card error if I insert microsd in the wifi adapter. But card worked normally with my K-r. Seems to me that I will have to invest in flu card, but not so soon.
( if somebody does not know what PQI Air Card is: PQI Air Card - PQI Group). And if anybody asks why I bought one, well, I paid $7 (NIB) even though the regular price is well over $50
according to their site, the K3(II) isn't supported yet.
09-02-2015, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
PQI answered and said nothing about camera compatibility, instead, they turned to trying other microSD cards in the adapter. And, so. I tried putting 32GB Transcend c10 UHS-I, tried putting some toshiba 16GB also c10 and UHS-I, 8GB sandisk also c1 UHS-1. Nothing worked. And then I found in some old phone, PQI card that is 4GB and class4. And by some weird miracle, that card works. So, only reasonable conclusion to this problem is that PQI Air Card adapter that I have does not support UHS-I cards. And why does it work with my K-r then? Well, maybe K-r also does not support UHS-I class and simply reads the card as standard Class 10, therefore adapter has no problem working with UHS-I card. Am I making sense? Tomorrow I will try with another microSD card 32GB this time Verbatim but only class 10, no UHS-I.

Last edited by zvon; 09-02-2015 at 06:51 AM.
09-02-2015, 05:31 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep posting. This is interesting as an alternative to eyefi and flu cards.
09-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #24

Original Poster
PQI answered and said nothing about camera compatibility, instead, they turned to trying other microSD cards in the adapter. And, so. I tried putting 32GB Transcend c10 UHS-I, tried putting some toshiba 16GB also c10 and UHS-I, 8GB sandisk also c1 UHS-1. Nothing worked. And then I found in some old phone, PQI card that is 4GB and class4. And by some weird miracle, that card works. So, only reasonable conclusion to this problem is that PQI Air Card adapter that I have does not support UHS-I cards. And why does it work with my K-r then? Well, maybe K-r also does not support UHS-I class and simply reads the card as standard Class 10, therefore adapter has no problem working with UHS-I card. Am I making sense? Tomorrow I will try with another microSD card 32GB this time Verbatim but only class 10, no UHS-I.
to update the situation: I contacted PQI again asking them does Air Card support U1 cards. They said no. They also sent me this link which I do not fully understand but as I see, you can check which card is compatible with Air Card. Since many of this cards have long stopped production, I do not see the point. Only thing I see is that there are only two 32gb cards tested.

http://www.pqigroup.com/cp.aspx?mnuid=1339&modid=187&cid=21

So, to return to my own backyard testing:

I tried my brothers Verbatim 32gb class 10 only, not U1. It didn't work. Since I don't have any more microSD cards lying around I went to IT shop and blindly bought 8GB class 10 Transcend card. Fastest non UHS card they had in their display case. And, that card works. So, my conclusion is that you have to test yourself which card will work (and there are some that work) but I wouldn't go over 16GB and definetly don't buy U1.