Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Am i missing something here?
Nope, your perception is correct. There is a time gap between shutter events in single shot mode where the shutter will not respond. The conventional solution is to set the drive mode to continuous-high and be light with the shutter presses.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-29-2015 at 03:05 PM.
08-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
awesome!! thanks!
One of the first things one learns on the K-3 is that there are many ways to do cool things. Folder-level delete is one of them and very, very handy.

Steve
08-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nope, your perception is correct. There is a time gap between shutter events in single shot mode where the shutter will not respond. The conventional solution is to set the drive mode to continuous-high and be light with the shutter presses.

Steve
This is your solution. It seems in single shot mode it doesn't buffer the shoot, you regain control when the process is done. Set to continuous mode, select slow rate, and practice taking one shot. Works fine.
08-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One of the first things one learns on the K-3 is that there are many ways to do cool things. Folder-level delete is one of them and very, very handy.

Steve
This is available in K-30/50 as well and possibly other models.

08-29-2015, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
This is available in K-30/50 as well and possibly other models.

Also on the K-20, which is where I first learned of it. You can also delete a group of folders, if you have more than one, in the same way you can delete a selection of photos in a given folder.
08-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #21

Original Poster
2. I have a 32GB card, empty. The camera claims i have capacity for 602 RAWs left.
But my calculations say i should have 998 RAWs left. (If you want to do the math yourself: My pc says the card has a capacity of 32.099.008.512 bytes. The average size of the RAWs i've shot so far is 32.138.240 bytes per RAW. The card's a "Kingston SDA3/32GB SDHC/SDXC 32GB Ultra High-Speed", UHS-I Class 3)
Any ideas?
Still, this one problem remains unsolved. Does anybody have a 32GB card and would be so kind to tell me how many shots left the camera displays when the card is empty?
08-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Still, this one problem remains unsolved. Does anybody have a 32GB card and would be so kind to tell me how many shots left the camera displays when the card is empty?
16gb 286
32gb 598. Both sandisk extreme pro.

Both freshly formatted in camera.

08-31-2015, 04:23 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
32gb 598.
Thank you!
So at least now i know i didn't buy a defective card, thanks!

Maybe the camera is just guessing wrong and when you actually shoot, 1000 pictures will fit on the camera? I just don't want to do 1000 actuations just to test this :-) i will find out on the next shooting i guess
08-31-2015, 04:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
> Kingston SDA3/32GB SDHC/SDXC 32GB Ultra High-Speed", UHS-I Class 3)

A Class 3 card has to be slowing the camera terribly. IME, Kingston cards are slower than others in the first place. Most people are using Class 10 cards in a K-3, preferably with advanced write speeds.

I leave my K-3 set for Low Continuous burst for general shooting. My normal shutter release action results in a single photo. For portraits I like Medium burst and I take a few shots with each shutter press. Discard the rest later.
08-31-2015, 05:39 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery
2. I have a 32GB card, empty. The camera claims i have capacity for 602 RAWs left. But my calculations say i should have 998 RAWs left. (If you want to do the math yourself: My pc says the card has a capacity of 32.099.008.512 bytes. The average size of the RAWs i've shot so far is 32.138.240 bytes per RAW. The card's a "Kingston SDA3/32GB SDHC/SDXC 32GB Ultra High-Speed", UHS-I Class 3) Any ideas?

My K-r says that I have around 1500 raw files for empty 32GB card. But that is not true. I know I can fit around 2500 of them (raws). I noticed that for example if camera says that I have 500 imgs left, I fire one, and it still says 500, and if I take another one it says I have 499 images left. Depends on actual image size. Sometimes if it is low iso I have to take 3 pictures before the counter drops by 1. Therefore I concluded to myself that the image counter is some sort of an estimate. And mathematically, 32GB card holds 32000MB (32 times 1000 instead of 1024), and since average RAW size for K-r is from 8-15MB (lets make it 12.5) that's roughly 2500 images, 1000 more than camera predicted at the start. I didn't dwell into FAT32/NTFS sizes (since my camera accepts only FAT32) and default allocation sizes. Just standard multiplying and dividing. But still, I hope you understand.

Maybe that is the case for other Pentax cameras too, I do not know.

Last edited by zvon; 08-31-2015 at 05:55 AM.
08-31-2015, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
Maybe that is the case for other Pentax cameras too, I do not know.
Yes, that's right. Image files will be all different sizes depending on compressibility (which is in turn dependent upon image content, ISO/noise, etc.), so the camera gives essentially a "worst case" estimate.

I have always been able to fit a lot more shots than the initial empty-card estimate, often 50% more. As you get closer and closer to full, however, the number will be closer and closer to correct -- the camera continuously recalculates the number based upon actual free space, not prior shots vs. remaining shots. So if the camera says you have three shots left, believe it!
08-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A Class 3 card has to be slowing the camera terribly. Most people are using Class 10 cards in a K-3, preferably with advanced write speeds.
Hey Audiobomber,
they introduced new classes. An UHS Class 3 card is faster than a (non-UHS) Class 10 card. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_class_rating

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I leave my K-3 set for Low Continuous burst for general shooting. My normal shutter release action results in a single photo. For portraits I like Medium burst and I take a few shots with each shutter press. Discard the rest later.
Yes, that's how i will do it from now on.
Thank you!
Bromberger