Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LCD Loupe for K3 (Suggestions)

This question pops up periodically. I haven't seen one recently. So, my question? Would any visitors to this forum have suggestions for a loupe that will fit the K3's 3:2 (5cmx7cm) LCD screen? I currently use the following on my K01 and my Q7:

Amazon.com : Tiltall Professional 3 Inch Smallest LCD Screen Loupe with Soft eye Cup and Screen Protection : Digital Camera Accessory Kits : Camera & Photo

Very happy with this product. However, i don't believe a model is available for the K3's larger screen.

Thanks to all who respond.

09-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by winkler Quote
This question pops up periodically. I haven't seen one recently. So, my question? Would any visitors to this forum have suggestions for a loupe that will fit the K3's 3:2 (5cmx7cm) LCD screen? I currently use the following on my K01 and my Q7:

Amazon.com : Tiltall Professional 3 Inch Smallest LCD Screen Loupe with Soft eye Cup and Screen Protection : Digital Camera Accessory Kits : Camera & Photo

Very happy with this product. However, i don't believe a model is available for the K3's larger screen.

Thanks to all who respond.
Hoodman Compact HoodLoupe Optical Viewfinder for 3.2" CH32
09-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use a Hoodman Hood Loupe. when I got it I was using the K100D.

Amazon.com : Hoodman HoodLoupe 3.0 Display Magnifying Loupe For 3" Screen : Photography Loupes : Electronics

it works pretty well on my K3.
it doesn't quite cover the entire screen, but it's so close, that the difference is pretty insignificant.

PS, allowing for us slight radius on the corners, mine actually measures approximately 3.2 inches corner to corner.

Last edited by promacjoe; 09-05-2015 at 04:44 PM.
09-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I converted my K7 to infrared and ended up purchasing one of the Hoodman custom finder kits for live view viewing and focusing. They are a bit expensive but much easier to handle than a separate loupe. Mine stays permanently attached to the K7, although the loupe itself attaches and detaches easily. Hoodman should be able to help you choose the correct loupe to purchase. If its occasional use only, the loupe alone should suffice, and Hoodman has an elastic set for temporarily holding the loupe in place. That is shown on this page at the bottom as well as the HoodCrane device which will also work. In my case the custom finder kit does the job perfectly.

Products in DSLR Live View / Video Loupe Kits - www.hoodmanusa.com

09-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Found my loupe:
Amazon.com : Kamerar MagView 16:9 16/9 3.2" LCD Screen Viewfinder View Finder LCDVF For Canon 5D MarkIII Canon 1DX : Camera & Photo
Kamerar Brand. <$50US.

Fits the K3. It is made to fit a 3:2 aspect ratio. Two sturdy metal frames to attach to K3 body ...nice to have a back-up. The adhesive strip is not strong enough. No surprise. I carefully placed a bead of black silicone sealer around the perimeter of the attachment frame and let it set over night. A nearly permanent attachment, which can be removed (with some elbow grease) to return my camera to original condition. The loupe attaches magnetically. Really convenient. However, the metal strips built into the loupe body may not have been glued in place properly. One metal strip fell out on mine. I glued it back with some contact cement. All OK ... for now.

Next, diopter adjustment. If you don't attach the camera to a solid tripod diopter adjustment is a three-handed affair because the adjustment ring is very hard to move. Good in the sense that the adjustment will not shift over time. Bad in the sense that, if you don't have three hands, getting the adjustment right-on is next to impossible.

End result, very good. I am very pleased with this loupe. The price is attractive, The optics are good, and it is really easy to use.

Hopt this "review" will be of use.