Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-3 mirror flap to death

I had my k-3 9 months. Every few months mirror flop would arise. Unlike others mine usually happened when the battery was fully charged.
I also had intermittent freezes for a week after the mirror flop. Other issues also. My 18-135 would not come out of sleep mode . AFC would act erratically. Metering would be way off.
Then it seemed things would start going back to normal.
The last time I had the mirror flap was 2 weeks ago with the usual erratic behavior to follow.
Monday I went out with a freshly charged battery and it died after 5 minutes. I took the battery out and put it back in and it still did not come on.
I went home and took the battery from my k-5. The k-3 turned on, I took one shot and it died. I put in a different fully charged battery it turned on and then died.
The battery was dead instantly. I tried again a few hours later and then nothing at all. Brick brick brick!!! Ugh. This sucks.

Its going to Precision tomorrow without a lot of confidence that they will fix everything. Did I say this sucks?
Joe

Update[ Precision website claimed repair delay. I called them back. I was told the camera is being sent back to me un-repaired and is not covered under warranty.
They stated the camera is corroded beyond repair. Hmmm.
The camera has never been under water and has only been in a trickle of rain a couple of times. Compared to my k-5 and k-10d both of which have been in torrential downpours and never an issue.

I called Ricoh and had a very reassuring conversation with their tech support. They said they will have it shipped directly to Ricoh corporate and look into it.
They also stated that it was quite unusual.

So it looks like I will be patient and wait and see.

Last edited by Stargeezer; 09-18-2015 at 11:45 AM. Reason: update
09-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Does it have the latest firmware? When it comes back, try to provoke it again. If it happens again, send it back and tell them you want another one. Or send it to Ricoh in Chandler, AZ.
09-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's the serial number? Just want to compare it to other serial numbers near the same premise and see if this isn't or is a isolated problem. I most likely think it's a isolated one and you had a bad built camera due to the substantial amount of problems. - Mirror flap, battery problem, exposure problems, etc. With all these problems, I doubt firmware update would help. It's mostly have to be some irreparable hardware problems on top of some software problems. You did the right thing in turning it in for repairing. Maybe if the problematic is beyond repair, hopefully you'll get a new K-3.

Last edited by LeDave; 09-09-2015 at 04:10 PM.
09-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Mr. fox, firmware 1.11 which is the one that addressed the flop issue. I already tried to get Ricoh to just send me a new unit. No dice.
serial number 6049524.
Joe

09-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Does it have the latest firmware? When it comes back, try to provoke it again. If it happens again, send it back and tell them you want another one. Or send it to Ricoh in Chandler, AZ.
Don't send it there since Chris at that address is no longer the authorized repair center. Precision Camera in Connecticut is.
09-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
Mr. fox, firmware 1.11 which is the one that addressed the flop issue. I already tried to get Ricoh to just send me a new unit. No dice.
serial number 6049524.
Joe
First update to the latest firmware, and if that still doesn't help I would send the camera in before your warranty coverage ends.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Every few months mirror flop would arise.
Brick brick brick!!! Ugh. This sucks.
Warranty will cover this, though you probably should not have waited so long for a known issue. I would not bother with the firmware update "fix". All it does is detect the runaway condition and fails over by aborting the exposure sequence. The result at very least is a wasted frame. The "real" fix involves a low-level component reflash and/or component replacement.

I would not settle for less, particularly since yours proceeded to failure.

Steve

09-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yes , I should not have waited.
I hesitate because my warranty repair experience's have been as bad as my pentax camera experience's.
Joe
09-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Mr. fox, firmware 1.11 which is the one that addressed the flop issue.
Latest firmware is v1.21.

May as well update, since they always include 'Improved stability for general performance' with each firmware update.
09-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes , I should not have waited.
I hesitate because my warranty repair experience's have been as bad as my pentax camera experience's.
Joe

I love my Pentax's but the K-3II no-off/GPS lock fiasco was the last straw. Add to that no real in house camera repair and it was just more than I could stand. I still have my K5IIs, but the K3's were replaced with a 7D Mark II, 70D and 6D. And off course, no issues at all with those. I keep coming back to see if it's safe to jump back to the K3/II but now there are even reports of K3II's having mirror flops. Sad.
09-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #11

Given the experience the OP is having with fresh batteries dying, I don't see how he could upgrade the firmware. Sounds like a good chance the battery would fail in the middle of the upgrade process. I don't see much choice, send it in for warranty repair as soon as possible. Yes it sucks. You would think by now that mirror flop was a problem Pentax could avoid.
09-10-2015, 01:07 AM   #12

Original Poster
No chance of upgrading firmware.
Camera is already bricked!!!
Joe
09-10-2015, 02:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Camera is already bricked!!!
OK. Sad to hear that.

While flapping has been a relatively common occurence with the K-3, total bricking is quite rare. Sounds like a circuit board died somewhere within the camera. All the best with the repair!
09-10-2015, 04:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I love my Pentax's but the K-3II no-off/GPS lock fiasco was the last straw. Add to that no real in house camera repair and it was just more than I could stand. I still have my K5IIs, but the K3's were replaced with a 7D Mark II, 70D and 6D. And off course, no issues at all with those. I keep coming back to see if it's safe to jump back to the K3/II but now there are even reports of K3II's having mirror flops. Sad.
Well bad service drives away buyers. That's why I don't buy here in my country, I have to buy from Japan. After sales service here is really bad. Man I hope Pentax does something about servicing. I mean good global servicing.
09-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Warranty will cover this, though you probably should not have waited so long for a known issue. I would not bother with the firmware update "fix". All it does is detect the runaway condition and fails over by aborting the exposure sequence. The result at very least is a wasted frame. The "real" fix involves a low-level component reflash and/or component replacement.

I would not settle for less, particularly since yours proceeded to failure.

Steve
AFAIN the FW fix only addresses a specific condition that causes mirror recalibration (flipping) .

As the OP had FW1.11 and the camera was still sporadically attempting a recal this trigger was not in the out of tolerance internal registers.
I suspect his mirror box was faulty maybe a tooth missing off the gear chain or some such, Catastrophic failure was about when not if.

The camera should have gone for repair as soon as fw1.11 failed to squelch flopping as given Pentax franchised US service reputation I'd want more than the 90 days (do they even give you that ) surety of their repair.
I'd expect the repair docket should have a major hardware component replacement notice