Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

New to DSLRs : should I buy K3 or K50?

Hello Everyone,

Let me say first say that this forum has been quite useful to know from actual users about Pentax!

I want to get in into the world of DSLRs.

1. I was wondering if I should go for K3 or K50.
I know K3 has tons of features and its definitely better than K50 (which is also a pretty good camera)

Having no prior experience, I was thinking if I might not make use of all the features of K3.(perhaps even K50).
On the other hand, I might just take time to learn about it while using it, and 'grow' into making good use of it.

I am of the opinion that maybe if I buy the better camera now, I don't have to think of upgrading for a few years.

Also, if you consider a similiar Nikon model like D7200 (or if you compare D5300 with K50),
I think you are getting more out of Pentax models.
And, they are cheaper right now!!

Should i go ahead for the K3 ?
Or do I start out with K50 and maybe spend saved money on lenses and other accessories.
Since I don't have so much money to spend on real quality lenses to perhaps bring the best of K3 right now.

2. I am planning to buy it from the US.
But I'll be going back to my home country (India) in a couple of months.

Unfortunately, I got to know that, if buy from the US, the warranty will not be honoured in India.
Although I can get it repaired from the service center in India (for additional cost)

The prices are quite high in India compared to US.

Do you think I should buy the camera in the US (and hoping the chances of repair is pretty less)
Or are there are any known issues that I might face, which can make it more risky?

Thanks!
Siddharth

09-15-2015, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-50 is a fine camera, but that model and the K-30 have problems with the aperture control mechanism. Many people, including me, have had to send their K-50/K-30 in for repair due to this issue.

I would consider the K-3 or the K-S2. If you update the K-3 to the latest firmware, it should be pretty solid for you for a while. I recently upgraded from K-30 to K-3 and it's a much easier camera to use. All of the buttons and switches and options may seem intimidating at first, but you just ignore the ones you don't need. You will eventually learn to use them in your own time.

I don't have experience with the K-S2, but it's smaller/lighter, if that matters to you. It has wi-fi and tilting screen as well. Image quality is excellent, according to reviews. I considered it briefly as an upgrade to the K-30, but since the K-3 prices came down, I decided to get that instead.

Good luck with your choice!
09-15-2015, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psyddharth Quote
Hello Everyone,

Let me say first say that this forum has been quite useful to know from actual users about Pentax!

I want to get in into the world of DSLRs.

1. I was wondering if I should go for K3 or K50.
I know K3 has tons of features and its definitely better than K50 (which is also a pretty good camera)

Having no prior experience, I was thinking if I might not make use of all the features of K3.(perhaps even K50).
On the other hand, I might just take time to learn about it while using it, and 'grow' into making good use of it.

I am of the opinion that maybe if I buy the better camera now, I don't have to think of upgrading for a few years.

Also, if you consider a similiar Nikon model like D7200 (or if you compare D5300 with K50),
I think you are getting more out of Pentax models.
And, they are cheaper right now!!

Should i go ahead for the K3 ?
Or do I start out with K50 and maybe spend saved money on lenses and other accessories.
Since I don't have so much money to spend on real quality lenses to perhaps bring the best of K3 right now.

2. I am planning to buy it from the US.
But I'll be going back to my home country (India) in a couple of months.

Unfortunately, I got to know that, if buy from the US, the warranty will not be honoured in India.
Although I can get it repaired from the service center in India (for additional cost)

The prices are quite high in India compared to US.

Do you think I should buy the camera in the US (and hoping the chances of repair is pretty less)
Or are there are any known issues that I might face, which can make it more risky?

Thanks!
Siddharth
As an owner of both a K-3 and a K-50, I would opt for the K-3 because after a year or so you will be wanting to move up and the K-3 is the logical next step especially since the K-3 prices are so cheap right now. As for where to buy, The US dealers probably have fresher stock (especially B&H), just my opinion. Either way you go they are fine cameras. I have a K-3 with a late 2014 mfg date and for almost a year it has been trouble free. Your experience may differ from mine. Good Luck.

Larry
09-15-2015, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The 'tweener cams should be watched for bargains, as the K-s1 and K-s2 have an excellent 20Mpxl sensor and no AA filter. The K-s1 is smaller but lacks several features common to nearly every K model (WR, interval shots, native image rotation) but sometimes size matters. I paid about $275 for it so for that price it does what I need. The flip screen and inbuilt WiFi are not for me, but the K-s2 looks quite nice overall - and prices have dropped recently.

The K-3 is a lot of camera but can be used simply, though all bodies can do that. Its larger body & files are the tradeoff for more features and a very quiet shutter that can help in scenes where a loud kerclunk would be a distraction. So price, WR, body size, AA filter, shutter noise - pick what's important to you, and the right camera will be clear.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 09-15-2015 at 01:44 PM.
09-15-2015, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Few people make use of all the features. Usually the most important thing is that the camera has those few features that you need. And that its not overly complicated. IF you are new to photography, I would recommend getting a K-50 and spending the rest on good lenses. This is a better investment, lenses keep their value for years, possibly decades (depending on lens, of course) and can be used on all further cameras you buy. And a lens is very important! It creates the image, the camera only records it. But a digital camera will always lose value over time as technology keeps improving and improving. Also, as a beginner, one has a lot to learn, and a really top notch camera with many buttons, features, can be too complicated, overwhelming. This is why I would recommend the K-50, its still a great camera, has everything a beginner might need and more, but its a bit more friendly than the pro-oriented gear.
That said, if you are the kind of person that is willing to suffer through a steeper learning curve, you can get a K-3.
I think you are getting more out of Pentax models. And, they are cheaper right now!!
I agree with this. I used to say that Nikon is a great camera, if you spend over $1700 on the camera alone. But if you look at the beginner models of Canon, Nikon.. they do not convince me. You can go to a store and hold one in your hands, and then hold a Pentax of similar price. The Pentax will feel much more solid, better textures, sturdier body.
Do you think I should buy the camera in the US
US has great prices. But the problem with buying from so far is that you have to pay for shipping and import duties (tax). And you lose warranty, and there is a chance the package gets damaged. This is why I prefer to buy closer to home. But I understand your dilemma

Hope you get a good camera soon, and welcome to the forums
09-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unless you want to control the budget as low as possible, or you have a large hand and prefer bigger grip, I will recommend KS2.
K3 is a great camera, of sure. But it is a little "too serious" a camera for beginner.
KS2 has models like landscaping, portrait, night, ....something you might have seen on PS cameras. It is much more friendly if it is your first DSLR. Wi-Fi is good to have. flip-out screen is great if you are used to frame using the screen, and is required for "self-portrait"... I will guess you might feel more comfortable with KS2 than K3.

The only shortcomings are: louder shutter, smaller grip, shutter battery life. But you will get a lighter, smaller, user friendlier camera.
09-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

in response to your dilemma, the new Pentax FF is due out in the near future....If you can wait....! In the mean time save your money and get some juicey lenses to go with it, you'll like a super pro...

---------- Post added 09-15-15 at 04:56 PM ----------

you'll look like a Super Pro....pardon the spelling on dilemma....

09-15-2015, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If possible, take both in hand. They are very different cameras.
A few practical points to consider:
  • Build: There is nothing cheap about the K-50 build. It is solid. The K-3 is simply more so, much more so
  • Weight/bulk: The K-3 handles nicely, but it is far from light.
  • Handling: Depending on your hand size, this may be an issue.
  • Top LCD: It seems like a small point until you get used to a camera that has it.
  • Shutter noise: Huge difference between the two cameras.
  • AF performance: Yes, you can tell the difference, particularly in low light
  • Battery options
Oh yes, there are other things. It is hard to not appreciate the extra resolution with the K-3 and the dual card slots are nice.

If you have access to a K-S2, take that in hand as well.

Steve
09-15-2015, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recommend the KS2. It has the Scene modes (as does the K50 and KS1) which I think really help when you are new to DSLR's. The key is to not become totally dependant on them, use them early, read and learn about exposure and adjust your photography to be less about those modes as you get better. In the meantime you get good shots and learn from the camera what the various exposure options are in a given scene. I think weather resistance is an important feature also. Even if you never plan to be in the rain - it happens. The 20MP sensor and articulating screen and wifi all will be welcome features. The wifi will allow you to transfer images to the smartphone without a computer etc.

The K50 is good. Add an EyeFi card and you may not need more.
The K3 is excellent. However there are no SCENE modes and you will need to add a FluCard if you want wifi transfers.

I recently upgraded from K50 to K3. It's a great camera and worth it - but I've also been shooting DSLR's for a long time and SLR's for many many years before that. I don't think the K50 was a bad camera and I would still be satisfied with it if I didn't have the K3 in hand now.

The KS1 is also a nice camera, but the lack of weather resistance is a bit worrisome in your tropical country.
09-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
The K-50 is a fine camera, but that model and the K-30 have problems with the aperture control mechanism. Many people, including me, have had to send their K-50/K-30 in for repair due to this issue.

I would consider the K-3 or the K-S2. If you update the K-3 to the latest firmware, it should be pretty solid for you for a while. I recently upgraded from K-30 to K-3 and it's a much easier camera to use. All of the buttons and switches and options may seem intimidating at first, but you just ignore the ones you don't need. You will eventually learn to use them in your own time.

I don't have experience with the K-S2, but it's smaller/lighter, if that matters to you. It has wi-fi and tilting screen as well. Image quality is excellent, according to reviews. I considered it briefly as an upgrade to the K-30, but since the K-3 prices came down, I decided to get that instead.

Good luck with your choice!
Thanks..its good to know the shortcomings of K30/50...
For the price of K-S2, K3 sounds more tempting!

---------- Post added 09-15-15 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Few people make use of all the features. Usually the most important thing is that the camera has those few features that you need. And that its not overly complicated. IF you are new to photography, I would recommend getting a K-50 and spending the rest on good lenses. This is a better investment, lenses keep their value for years, possibly decades (depending on lens, of course) and can be used on all further cameras you buy. And a lens is very important! It creates the image, the camera only records it. But a digital camera will always lose value over time as technology keeps improving and improving. Also, as a beginner, one has a lot to learn, and a really top notch camera with many buttons, features, can be too complicated, overwhelming. This is why I would recommend the K-50, its still a great camera, has everything a beginner might need and more, but its a bit more friendly than the pro-oriented gear.
That said, if you are the kind of person that is willing to suffer through a steeper learning curve, you can get a K-3.
Thats good advice...I'll ponder on this before jumping the gun.I understand it could be a frustrating situation.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
US has great prices. But the problem with buying from so far is that you have to pay for shipping and import duties (tax). And you lose warranty, and there is a chance the package gets damaged. This is why I prefer to buy closer to home. But I understand your dilemma

Hope you get a good camera soon, and welcome to the forums
I am here in US. So,I'll collect my camera myself and take it back home.
No import duties and hopefully no danger of danger while shipping.

---------- Post added 09-15-15 at 02:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Unless you want to control the budget as low as possible, or you have a large hand and prefer bigger grip, I will recommend KS2.
K3 is a great camera, of sure. But it is a little "too serious" a camera for beginner.
KS2 has models like landscaping, portrait, night, ....something you might have seen on PS cameras. It is much more friendly if it is your first DSLR. Wi-Fi is good to have. flip-out screen is great if you are used to frame using the screen, and is required for "self-portrait"... I will guess you might feel more comfortable with KS2 than K3.

The only shortcomings are: louder shutter, smaller grip, shutter battery life. But you will get a lighter, smaller, user friendlier camera.
I understand that, but the price of K-S2 with the 18-135mm lens (what i hear is the better kit lens option) is very near to K3.
09-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The K3 is excellent. However there are no SCENE modes and you will need to add a FluCard if you want wifi transfers.
K-3 supports Eye-Fi and other wireless LAN cards (the same as the K-50) in addition to the FluCard.

Steve
09-15-2015, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was vacillating between the K-3 II (for the GPS - I don't use the in body flash, and the GPS would be a delight), the K-3 and the K-S2, but finally decided for the K-3 or K-3 II wherever the budget falls when my new camera fund is almost enough.

The decision for me became the K-3 or K-3 II because the K-S2 is too small and light. Several reviewers found that the hand size it was made for is for smaller hands. I prefer the feel I get with the K10, my present camera, with a grip on it. Even the K10 (which is larger than the K-3) feels too small without the grip. Even if I got used to the K-S2 I would still have that nagging little voice in the back of my head that I don't like the feel of it.

Pick both up and decide on how each of them feels in the hands. Then decide.
09-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The KS1 is also a nice camera, but the lack of weather resistance is a bit worrisome in your tropical country.
I did not consider K-S1/2 earlier.

K-S1 also seems to have a good price.
Is it better than K-50?

Also,I wanted to know how good the weather resistance in the body and lens *actually* is from the users.
09-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did not consider K-S1/2 earlier.

K-S1 also seems to have a good price.
Is it better than K-50?

Also,I wanted to know how good the weather resistance in the body and lens *actually* is from the users.
KS1 is different from K50. It lacks Weather Resistance, doesn't support the use of the onboard flash as a wireless controller, doesn't have an interval timer built in, etc.

WR is pretty good but the truth is there isn't anything very clear about it. Warranty doesn't really support it but people have taken showers with them, poured sand over them, etc without problems and others have had a problem with minor rain - but vast majority have been happy and haven't had problems in almost any weather.

---------- Post added 09-15-15 at 06:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
K-3 supports Eye-Fi and other wireless LAN cards (the same as the K-50) in addition to the FluCard.
I keep forgetting this. I need to test mine with it to make sure it works for me. I had a lot of difficulty with the K50 and eyefi.
09-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thank for you all for your kind replies !!!

After reading a lot of good reviews about 18-135mm kit lens, I am going for that.

Do you think I should invest in lenses or tripods at this point of time?

I was eyeing the 35mm /50mm primes to start with.
From what I read they both have different applications and will be useful for getting sharp images.