Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Odd: Camera froze

So odd. Shot an interview today for a video project with the K3. Latest firmware. When the interview was finished, I show the recorded video to the person I interviewed by playing back the video on my K3. It was a four and one-half minute clip. 38 seconds before the end of the clip, the playback froze. Stop button did nothing. Switched the camera off. The LCD still displayed the frozen image. Disconnected the battery grip. No change. Switched the camera on and off. Image still on the LCD. Camera would not respond to any buttons. Removed main battery. LCD blinked out. Yea! Reinserted battery, turned camera on. Camera operates normally.
Anyone have any observations, explanations, etc.?

09-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Overheating somewhere?
09-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by winkler Quote
So odd. Shot an interview today for a video project with the K3. Latest firmware. When the interview was finished, I show the recorded video to the person I interviewed by playing back the video on my K3. It was a four and one-half minute clip. 38 seconds before the end of the clip, the playback froze. Stop button did nothing. Switched the camera off. The LCD still displayed the frozen image. Disconnected the battery grip. No change. Switched the camera on and off. Image still on the LCD. Camera would not respond to any buttons. Removed main battery. LCD blinked out. Yea! Reinserted battery, turned camera on. Camera operates normally.
Anyone have any observations, explanations, etc.?
Happens from time to time. Most likely low voltage, high temperature, or a glitch in data coming off the memory card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have this from time to time. Never do video though. I just take both batteries out and reinsert. Voila no issues.

09-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I occasionally get odd behavior, including freezing from my K-30. Pulling the battery has always fixed it. Never had a problem with my K-x, but it seems like the last couple of generations of Pentax DSLR's have been a little glitchy.
09-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Never seen it for video, but a similar image review lockup glitch has happened about three times to me while shooting stills with the K-3.

That's only three times in about one year of regular camera use, so it's uncommon and not a huge drama. I'd rather it never happened in the first place though, because it usually happens at the most inconvenient times.
09-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #7

its to do read/write behaviour of the bus (communication system that transfers data between components) to the memory card
newer camera's have faster buses to accommodate for faster memory cards, but some sd cards have controllers that can crash faster buses. the worst offenders are usually lexar samsung transcend apacer (I've had issues with these cards in a canon d5m2, 1100d, black magic pocket camcorder and the sony nex fs-100, yet they will work fine in older equipment)

09-16-2015, 03:32 AM   #8
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-01 did it yesterday when I had taken just four pics. Battery out and back in fixed it (as usual). It has only ever done it before when I have been shooting lots of frames in quick succession. It is frustrating and always a bit unnerving when it happens. It would be more than slightly annoying if it made me miss a particular shot as well. But the modern camera is basically a computer and, in my experience, all computers hang from time to time. Still, the SD card issue is worth following up.
09-16-2015, 05:22 AM   #9
Forum Member

Latest firmware seems buggy to me, lots of people have experienced issues ( read this forum ). This has stopped me from updating to v1.21.
On v1.11 I haven t had any issues yet (1 year since purchase and 4k pics taken). Just my 2c.
09-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I had this problem early one with my K-3. I think it happened a handful of times in the first six months of ownership and not at all since installing firmware v1.11. Usually in happened while in playback mode or a mix of heavy shooting and playback.

Steve
09-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
but some sd cards have controllers that can crash faster buses. the worst offenders are usually lexar samsung transcend apacer (I've had issues with these cards in a canon d5m2, 1100d, black magic pocket camcorder and the sony nex fs-100, yet they will work fine in older equipment)
Interesting. Sounds about right. I've only ever seen the problem after bouts of heavy shooting (ie hundreds of frames in a short period). Can't remember what the card was when it happened the other week, but it might have been a Transcend.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Usually in happened while in playback mode or a mix of heavy shooting and playback.
My experience too. Heavy shooting, then playback. If I've been shooting a small number of shots, never a problem.