Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Good K-3 deal?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera Body 15530

Adorama has the K-3 body with Pentax 50mm F/1.8 lens and AF-200FG flash for $649. My first question is, is this a good deal? It seems like the lowest used bodies alone go for on ebay is $5-600 and this is new.

I'm brand new to DSLRs. I'd like to get a 18-135 mm lens as well some time soon and was planning on it being my first but would this lens be good to start with? Is the flash okay for a beginner?

And maybe the most important question is, is this camera way too much for a beginner? I was originally looking at a K-50 or a K-S2 but it looks like the KS2 isn't a whole lot cheaper than the K3 which seems much better but could it be too overwhelming or is it easy to just use new features as I need them? I just want to make sure it's not smarter to go with a lesser camera with my skill level.

Is it worth stretching the budget a little bit to go with this K-3 deal and then jump on a used 18-135 when I find a good deal?

I'd primarily like it for family functions, hiking, zoo pictures and our 8 year old's sports. I'm unlikely to upgrade often. My current camera is a Canon IS S5.

Thanks!

09-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leonardotmnt Quote
Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera Body 15530

Adorama has the K-3 body with Pentax 50mm F/1.8 lens and AF-200FG flash for $649. My first question is, is this a good deal? It seems like the lowest used bodies alone go for on ebay is $5-600 and this is new.

I'm brand new to DSLRs. I'd like to get a 18-135 mm lens as well some time soon and was planning on it being my first but would this lens be good to start with? Is the flash okay for a beginner?

And maybe the most important question is, is this camera way too much for a beginner? I was originally looking at a K-50 or a K-S2 but it looks like the KS2 isn't a whole lot cheaper than the K3 which seems much better but could it be too overwhelming or is it easy to just use new features as I need them? I just want to make sure it's not smarter to go with a lesser camera with my skill level.

Is it worth stretching the budget a little bit to go with this K-3 deal and then jump on a used 18-135 when I find a good deal?

I'd primarily like it for family functions, hiking, zoo pictures and our 8 year old's sports. I'm unlikely to upgrade often. My current camera is a Canon IS S5.

Thanks!
I think it is a good deal...though I am not personally a fan of any flash that doesn't tilt and swivel. Maybe you can sell it and put it towards a new lens or a better flash.
The 50mm is a gem. That plus a 18-135mm and you are set for 99% of anything unless you want to go really wide,long or macro.

I do not think it is too much camera for a beginner at all. You want something you can grow into, and if you want to keep it slow, there is plenty of automation. By the time you are fully up to speed, you will know the camera like the back of your hand.
09-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much of a beginner are you? Do you feel comfortable learning? The K3 has a basic mode that is pretty much auto-everything but it lacks the Scene modes that the K50, KS1, KS2 have. My Dad is pretty smart about photography but has a low tech threshold. His first digital camera was an *istDS but he used it sparingly. His recent re-entry was a K50 and now an upgrade to a K3. He would have stayed with the K50 but wanted to be on the same camera as me (I'm his helpdesk!) and had an opportunity to sell his K50 and get the K3 which he jumped on.
09-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And maybe the most important question is, is this camera way too much for a beginner?
Pentax DSLRs generally include almost all the features in all bodies, not just the high end ones, so as far as "too much for a beginner" there really is little difference in features. Some features have more options, there might be more choices but almost everything in the k-3 is also in the k-50. And the k-50 has scene modes which the k-3 does not.

But if you want to learn photography the basic functions have not changed much in maybe 50 years or so.

That seems a very good price, certainly a lot less than I paid. The DA 50mm is a nice lens but the 18-135 will be more versatile so that is a good choice to add.

09-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd go for the K3 if I were you. It is an awesome camera. You can start in green mode and grow from there.
09-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've used the Canon p&s a decent bit but mostly on auto until recently. I'm definitely willing to try to learn though. I've got some books coming to read up and I think with a better camera it'll keep my interest up.

So it seems like selling the flash and keeping the lens plus buying the 18-135 would be a good idea? Thanks everyone!

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 11:31 AM ----------

Just to add. I'm pretty technologically savvy though photography is a new field.

I do sort of like the idea of scene modes but I have them now and don't use them so I'm not sure it'd be with stepping down for it with a lower body if I may not use them.
09-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I've used the Canon p&s a decent bit but mostly on auto until recently. I'm definitely willing to try to learn though. I've got some books coming to read up and I think with a better camera it'll keep my interest up.

So it seems like selling the flash and keeping the lens plus buying the 18-135 would be a good idea? Thanks everyone!

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 11:31 AM ----------

Just to add. I'm pretty technologically savvy though photography is a new field.

I do sort of like the idea of scene modes but I have them now and don't use them so I'm not sure it'd be with stepping down for it with a lower body if I may not use them.
I've had long periods of time where my 18-135 lived on my K3. You're going to love it.

09-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a steal, jump on it.
09-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #9

Dude, this is an amazing deal. You are getting a premium camera for less than $500! Think of it this way: Sell the flash and lens on eBay for $75, and the effective price of the camera body goes down to $500 (yes, the lens is worth more than $75 by itself). Actually, it is lower since Adorama is giving you back 4% you can put towards a quality zoom.

Is this too much for a beginner? No. You will simply use the features that you want as you learn. As with using any camera, you will get better at photography over time and using the green button will hopefully be a thing of the past.

Your 8-year old will be playing sports for some time, and you will definitely want a lens or lenses with more reach.

Don't get me wrong, an older $200 camera will likely do the job. But if you want something new that is capable of amazing work, and want something you can grow into for many years, this is a screaming buy.

Last edited by quant2325; 09-17-2015 at 02:10 PM.
09-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice guys. I talked to my wife a little bit ago about it and pulled the trigger. I thought it seemed good compared to other prices I've seen but wanted to get everyone's opinion here since everyone seems so knowledgeable. Can't wait for it to get here

I know I should probably get a higher capacity SD card than the small 4GB ones I have now. Any decent cheaper bag recommendations? I'm not sure it's going to fit in my current one. Any other accessories I need to get started?
09-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #11

Great deal my friend - don't even doubt yourself on this one
09-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I keep a pair of 64gb cards in mine, but I'd at least get a pair of 32gb ones, maybe even 16. 4 will be filled, also get UHS1 or higher. Sandisk Extreme will be good. The K3 with the DA18-135WR is a compact setup.
09-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is the Sandisk Extreme okay or is the Pro the one that I should get? I'm also looking at the Transcend 32GB SDXC Class10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card Up to 90 MB/s. I just want to make sure whatever I get is fast enough. I think I'll get one for now and get another at some point in the future.
09-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I talked to my wife a little bit ago about it and pulled the trigger. I thought it seemed good compared to other prices I've seen but wanted to get everyone's opinion here since everyone seems so knowledgeable. Can't wait for it to get here

I know I should probably get a higher capacity SD card than the small 4GB ones I have now.
Any decent cheaper bag recommendations? I'm not sure it's going to fit in my current one. Any other accessories I need to get started?
Edit* For your new kit I would suggest the Rally 2 to start, unless you plan to buy extra flash or lenses right away. You can always get a bigger one later, and if you get too big of a bag you may be less inclined to take your new camera with you as often.

I'd also suggest looking into a camera sling if you don't need a bag. I use this one and it's much more comfortable than the standard neck strap.

I like the messenger style satchels over bulky backpacks. My favorite is the Tamrac Rally series which you can get for a decent price on eBay (—Link—). Try looking at the Rally 2, 4, 5, and 6. I currently own the 2, 4, and 6, and the most I paid was $25 on eBay. They all have adjustable velcro dividers in the main compartment and decent pockets for batteries, SD cards, charger, filters, etc.

Rally 2 is my compact kit. It has enough room for the K-3 with 18-135 mounted (lens hood stored off the lens) and a second lens in the main compartment and batteries, SD cards, etc in the pockets. With only two lenses to switch this is a great compact on the go camera bag. In a pinch I can carry both my DA 50 f/1.8 and DA 35 f/2.4 in the 2nd lens slot with a piece of foam to separate them, but it's just a bit tight and I couldn't fit anything more. This isn't great for changing lenses on the fly, it's more of a compact kit to throw in my car and have options if something comes up.

Rally 6 is a large bag, similar in size to a laptop messenger bag. I think it's more than necessary for casual shooting, but I can put almost all my important lenses, flashes, and accessories in one bag to take my 'studio' on the go. (I'm being facetious, I have no studio) I also like that the style doesn't scream 'Hey guys! Expensive camera stuff here!" as much as some other bags and you'd never guess how much it has in it. (I bought everything used and highly discounted, but current combined retail has to be around $1.5k.)

In the main compartment I can fit a DA 35, DA 50, DA 50-200, A 35-105, and K-3 with DA 18-135 mounted (hood reversed) using all the dividers. In the side pockets I can squeeze in a pair of Yongnuo YN-560's, and the front accessory pocket easily holds YN-603 flash triggers, IR remote, SD cards, grey card, K-3 batteries and charger, AA batteries (for flashes), a few lens filters, and a SD card reader. There is a pocket on the back in which I keep a pair of 'Black Foamy Things'. It's kinda heavy fully loaded but it holds pretty much all my gear and if I only need a few lenses I leave everything else at home in this one for safe storage.

I've just recently purchased a Rally 4, which is in between the two. It should hold my small 3-lens kit more comfortably than the Rally 2, but I haven't used it much so I don't know how much I can squeeze in it yet.

The Rally 5 has an additional padded slot in the back of the main compartment for a tablet or small netbook, and I believe it's between the Rally 4 and Rally 6 in size. (You know, based on their numbering scheme.)

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyJH; 09-18-2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added suggestion
09-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

cards and sports

I know I should probably get a higher capacity SD card than the small 4GB ones I have now. Any decent cheaper bag recommendations? I'm not sure it's going to fit in my current one. Any other accessories I need to get started?
I also just traded in my K5 II for this K3 deal. Should get it wednesday. Perfect Pentax camera for sports since the autofocus was upgraded compared to the K50 era. You should start saving money for a long lens if your son is going to continue in sports. You will get great pics from a good quality f/2.8 70-200mm Tamron or Sigma lens (you can budget for this and buy it next year). I have the Sigma and like it a lot.

For bursting many pics to catch action, you probably should get at least one 32GB SanDisk extreme Pro SDHC memory card. About $30 and is fast to write the contents from the buffer (90mb/sec WRITE speed).

The plastic 50mm in the bundle can be used for people portraits at f/2 for nice creamy backgrounds. Experiment.

If you want to get the 18-135 that is good. I am saving money for the new HD 16-85. Better, bigger, sharper. And just as rain-resistant. My personal opinion, is that I don't want to buy too many lenses that end up going to waste. I used to do that and it was a waste of money (I don't get paid for photography except the one time a friend hired me to shoot her wedding rehearsal dinner - I was a complete nervous wreck, never again!!!). But it just depends on your needs and priorities for sure.... Have fun with it!

You can also think about budgeting for one or two computer software to process those large files. Start with JPEG files, easier and smaller. RAW files are big and need software to process them (like old fashioned film processing machines in the grocery stores used to have). I use Adobe Photoshop Elements and Corel PaintShop Pro. Good enough IMHO (I also use DxO OpticsPro but that is too much complexity for most beginners, but it is very useful software).

Hope that helps.