Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3II No Flash Mounted Using External Flash

I know the K-3II did not come with the on board flash, and that most likely will not effect the use of external Pentax flashes. So, if I had my two Pentax AF360FGZ flashes on stands, and had a K3II, without a flash mounted, as the master and on the same channel, then when I press my shutter button both of the external flashes should fire. I am assuming this is correct.

Thank you.

09-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What's going to trigger your external flash units unless you have a flash mounted on the camera?
09-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Since the K-3 II doesn't support on-board wireless flash you'd either have to use a radio trigger or a cable (in which case functionality is identical to that of the K-3). If you do want to do things wirelessly you could get one of the 360's to act as the master.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So, since the K-3II does not have an onboard flash, I would have to use one of the AF360FGZs on the K3II to activate the other AF360FGZ which would be on a stand (external). That would be an alternative to using cable or a radio trigger?

09-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
So, since the K-3II does not have an onboard flash, I would have to use one of the AF360FGZs on the K3II to activate the other AF360FGZ which would be on a stand (external). That would be an alternative to using cable or a radio trigger?
Correct.
09-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay, one AF360FGZ mounted on the K3II. One AF360FGZ external on a stand.

AF360FGZ mounted on K3II designated master. AF360FGZ external on stand designated as slave on same channel as master.

The flash emission from the AF360FGZ mounted on the K3II activates the external AF360FGZ mounted on the stand.

I am assuming that is basically what I would do then. The K-5 series seemingly had an option where you would not have to use the pop up flash to activate the external off camera flashes. If so, I thought that the K-3II would have inherited that option through some sort of infrared capability, not having to have the on board flash.

Last edited by C_Jones; 09-17-2015 at 02:29 PM.
09-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I am assuming that is basically what I would do then. The K-5 series seemingly had an option where you would not have to use the pop up flash to activate the external off camera flashes. If so, I thought that the K-3II would have inherited that option through some sort of infrared capability, not having to have the on board flash.
The K-3 has that feature, since it has a flash. But without a flash there isn't much that can be done Perhaps you'd want to swap your K-3 II for a K-3?

The flash emission from the AF360FGZ mounted on the K3II activates the external AF360FGZ mounted on the stand.
Exactly. I believe you can also set the on-camera flash to "controller" mode if you don't want it to illuminate the scene.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 has that feature, since it has a flash. But without a flash there isn't much that can be done Perhaps you'd want to swap your K-3 II for a K-3?

Exactly. I believe you can also set the on-camera flash to "controller" mode if you don't want it to illuminate the scene.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.
09-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
. The K-5 series seemingly had an option where you would not have to use the pop up flash to activate the external off camera flashes.
Don't think so, CJ.

With a K-5 you'd have to use a hotshoe cable, external flash or third-party wireless remote, surely.
09-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's an example of using the onboard flash as a wireless controller rather than a master.

The AF540FGZ flash was to the right of the frame on a table about level with the bed and lying flat on its back with the flash set at about a 45 degree bounce.
09-17-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice pic, Brad. Some people fret about the controller flash contributing to the lighting but your example show it isn't enough for two catchlights in the eyes.
09-18-2015, 05:02 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nice pic, Brad. Some people fret about the controller flash contributing to the lighting but your example show it isn't enough for two catchlights in the eyes.
I should dig up the one I did with the flash on master. It was pretty good but cast a shadow on the wall behind her. Also the light was too uniform and her pose didn't have as much interest. But it is useful to see that delta.

I have seen those complaints myself but so far I can't recreate s situation where the controller mode contributes enough light to cause any issues for me.
09-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Don't think so, CJ.

With a K-5 you'd have to use a hotshoe cable, external flash or third-party wireless remote, surely.
What I was referring to was the K-5 ability to have the built in flash discharge method used in an "Off" mode (set in Custom Setting 3).

---------- Post added 09-18-15 at 09:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Here's an example of using the onboard flash as a wireless controller rather than a master.

The AF540FGZ flash was to the right of the frame on a table about level with the bed and lying flat on its back with the flash set at about a 45 degree bounce.
Nice picture. The subject actually seems to be posing.
09-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

What I was referring to was the K-5 ability to have the built in flash discharge method used in an "Off" mode
Forgive me, because I don't have a K-5, but are you saying it does this without the popup flash? Please explain! :-)