Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the first time I had some difficulties when trying to calibrate. After some time I get now much better results. In each of the 3 directions I use more than 180° (approx. about 210°). Being not too slow, and not too speedy is the main part. After some training of my 'choreography' I have a hit-ratio of more than 90% on the first try.

02-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #17
Unregistered User

And turn your cellphone off when playing with the astrotracker, it may have some impact.
02-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
And turn your cellphone off when playing with the astrotracker, it may have some impact.
That is really far-fetched though, I wouldn't bother.

The calibration involves the accelerometers (used to measure the orientation of the camera in relationship to the gravitation.) and the magnetic compass.
02-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #19
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That is really far-fetched though, I wouldn't bother.

The calibration involves the accelerometers (used to measure the orientation of the camera in relationship to the gravitation.) and the magnetic compass.
So the magnetic field created by the phone does not interupt the earths magnetic field?

02-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

So the magnetic field created by the phone does not interupt the earths magnetic field?
Maybe if you put the phone right next to the camera, but otherwise I doubt it. It’s amazing though that the compass work at all considering the strong magnets inside the camera used by the SR mechanism.
02-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #21
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Maybe if you put the phone right next to the camera, but otherwise I doubt it. It’s amazing though that the compass work at all considering the strong magnets inside the camera used by the SR mechanism.
So, please tell why you so strongly want me to ignore the environmental impact on the GPS. Cellphones, powerlines etc. I guess you are some kind of engineer?
Why is it impervious to outside influence?
02-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #22

I am an electrical engineer, but my motto is "one data point is worth 10,000 expert opinions" so I got a compass and my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) so see if the phone would affect the compass. I could get the compass needle to move when the phone was closer than about 10 cm from the compass. It would move the needle whether the phone was on or off. I would guess that the magnet in the vibrator motor is probably what the compass is reacting to. It seemed the end of the phone with the camera had more effect than the end with the speaker, so I am guessing it was not the speaker magnet that was moving the compass.

02-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

So, please tell why you so strongly want me to ignore the environmental impact on the GPS. Cellphones, powerlines etc. I guess you are some kind of engineer?
Why is it impervious to outside influence?
All I have said is that IMO you don't have to shut off your phone to use the astro tracker, that's it. I have not said anything about ignoring power lines etc. And yes, I'm some kind of engineer.

The phone has a magnet in the speaker that might influence the compass in the camera if it's close enough. But you can't shut off that magnet, it's there even if you shut the phone off. So, don't hold the phone against the camera while tracking or calibrating. But if kept in your pocket the distance will be far enough to not (probably) influence the camera at all.

I just thought it's getting a bit too much with all the precautions to use the tracker. It's not that sensitive. it's a normal GPS, some accelerometers and a compass. Sure, avoid strong magnetic fields, but that's about it.

Edit:
I did the same test as GSWayne, and the magnet in my phone is surprisingly strong. it could be a problem if you have the phone in a front pocket and hold you camera close to it while calibrating. Shutting it off will not help though, move the phone to a rear pocket or hold the camera away from the phone while calibrating.

Last edited by Gimbal; 02-10-2016 at 10:34 AM.
02-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #24
Unregistered User

I am actually not speaking of the magnet in the phones speaker. The phone is a radio transmitter. The transmissions done by the phone may interfere with other electronic devices. I have shut down a whole factory when I entered a power cubicle due to the phone transmitting. My car stereo sometimes gets a weird "tututututu" noise caused by the phone...

I have found that if there is a slight error in the compass or if the compass is a little nervous the tracking will fail when using the time indicated on the camera. Using half the time it will do a ok job. If I have gone out late to a remote location to do astrotracking I am not going to stand for 5 minutes just to find my shots badly tracked. I do everything I can to have the calibration so uninterfered as possible. And also the actual shot.

The modern phones are less prone to mess up but if it looses the cell tower it will start searching for one, and if you get a call it will increase the power output if needed and that can disturb the tracking. If it is the O-GPS or the sensor and its magnets that are affected I do not know.

02-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #25

Hi, thanks for the tips.
Today I tried again, considering the tips.
So before starting my daily Pentax Yoga movements I also checked that the camera was leveled with the in camera level.
I tried the precise calibration like 15 more times ( i count the times from the moment i start the calibration until the calibration failed message appears).
I did as the guy in the video, even with more precise movements trying to keep the camera in the axis being rotated each time, tried changing my orientation, and nothing.
So far this is some kind of evil Yoga that instead of relaxing generates loads of anger in me and frustration each time the calibration fails. A test to ones patient and perseverance.
This is not what i would call a nice user experience, not at all so far.
02-11-2016, 12:55 AM   #26
Unregistered User

Do you do 1st axis, 2nd axis, 3rd axis and stop or do you keep on going with 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on? I often have to do 1st again before it says ok...

And also not to slow.

EDIT:

You do not need to have a GPS lock to practice the calibration. You can practice in your bedroom and get an OK but when you set up your tripod in the field you will need to do it every time you move to a new location for it to be perfect.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 02-11-2016 at 02:30 AM.
02-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #27

Do you do 1st axis, 2nd axis, 3rd axis and stop or do you keep on going with 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on? I often have to do 1st again before it says ok...

And also not to slow.

EDIT:

You do not need to have a GPS lock to practice the calibration. You can practice in your bedroom and get an OK but when you set up your tripod in the field you will need to do it every time you move to a new location for it to be perfect.
Hi!

For "precise calibration" generally I do yaw, pitch, roll a few times. Then I change my orientation a bit and again. Then I change my orientation again and same until I get the "fail" message.

For "calibration" I do yaw, pitch, roll then i turn myself a bit i do yaw and the "success" message appears.

Honestly, I dont know what else to do.

thanks,
Fede.

Last edited by polaco; 02-11-2016 at 07:51 AM.
02-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #28

something i have noticed after trying to see some hidden detail is that in the video, when the japanese guy turns a bit and does the second calibration... at that point the camera is already displaying the OK message. At least it looks like for me.
well i have no cell phone with me, not near a car, i have a garlic hanging in my neck and holy water in a cup, a crucifix in my chest, a rabbit leg in my pocket and a 4 leaf clover in the other... still nothing. Maybe I need to do some prays to St Pentax.
02-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #29
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by polaco Quote
something i have noticed after trying to see some hidden detail is that in the video, when the japanese guy turns a bit and does the second calibration... at that point the camera is already displaying the OK message. At least it looks like for me.
well i have no cell phone with me, not near a car, i have a garlic hanging in my neck and holy water in a cup, a crucifix in my chest, a rabbit leg in my pocket and a 4 leaf clover in the other... still nothing. Maybe I need to do some prays to St Pentax.
It should give you an OK even if you do stand inside a magnet. I have tried the two calibrations in my bedroom today to check if I needed a GPS lock to do it but it does not need that.

Are you doing it to fast, to slow, to perfect... I just make sure I turn it arround the mount axies, not to perfect, but more than 180 degrees in all 6 directions. Lean left, lean right, turn to the left, turn to the right, up with the lens towards me with the front element, down with the lens towards me with the front element, and then if not OK I keep going from the top. I make very short stop in between the movements. Every movement is about a second long. Left 0.5 seconds, back to center 0.5 seconds. Paus for 0.25 seconds? A little like salsa...

---------- Post added 02-12-16 at 02:19 AM ----------

If possible, try it on another camera...
02-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scooterpilot Quote
I took some images of the moon to get some exposure times in preparation for the blood moon Sunday night. The K3II executed in the astro-tracking mode without any issues.
Just to re-iterate: AstroTracker is of no use at all for moon shots.