Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Facebook and the net work both ways. It is very easy to see check the quality and feedback from other clients. That's also a way to directly check her porfolio. Maybe she get more clients thanks to her social skills and facebook help but that doesn't mean she can go away with so-so results to me.

I doesn't mean neither she wouldn't have been sucessfull before the internet revolution. Good social skills behind an asset is not new.

11-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
the point is you can do this with an aps-c dslr or even 4/3rds but the amount of post processing must take a bit of time vs the one shot of a large format

unfortunately the hacks get into never ending arguments over which system is better bang for buck :P
Man really do you think we were discussing MF cameras, potentially MF digital for the best bang for the buck? This was just the discussion that some wedding photographer use MF again even if a few, even if it more in asia. Nobody say you would have to use it, it is better or worse or whatever for this.

As for pixel shift, well it there. Don't like it? Don't buy it !

But don't complain if other if others get nice results with it.
11-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Yea, and what, there are 10 guys in THE WORLD that get $10,000 or more for a wedding? (Certainly less than a couple hundred.)

Who cares what they are shooting, they can afford anything. It's the hacks in the trenches who buy the bulk of the gear and know what works best for the least dollars invested. I can assure you it's nothing to do with that guy.
Oh but most pro should be able too. Nobody find it strange if a taxi driver consider buying a good car for it's job. Nobody find it strange that an hairdresser may need a mortage of many hundred thousand dollars to get a place to do its job. And now only the top 10 photographers in the world can buy a large format film body or a 645Z? Come on.

Most photographer might think this is unecessary and they very well be right on this but don't tell me that if you make a decent living out of it you can't afford to spend a few thousand dollard on gear every 3-5 years.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 11-26-2015 at 02:43 PM.
11-27-2015, 02:42 AM   #214

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
sucessfull before the internet revolution. Good social skills behind an asset is not new.
being socially awkward has been a roadblock to anyone wanting to get far in any career, the internet doesn't really change that, only it makes advertising easier you still have to meet with clients in real life

Man really do you think we were discussing MF cameras
I believe i said best system (that means any format)

Most photographer might think this is unecessary and they very well be right on this but don't tell me that if you make a decent living out of it you can't afford to spend a few thousand dollard on gear every 3-5 years.
most photographers are amateurs or enthusiasts, they shoot entirely for themselves, a professional on the other hand must evolve with the times as they are mostly paid to shoot for clients, but they usually only require new gear if it starts having a detrimental effect on workflow and time (sure you can make some clients wait, but most work is to a press or publication deadline)

11-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It isn't the "hacks" who are arguing. It is a small number of folks on the internet. I know a lot of wedding photographers. Most of them shoot a couple of generations old full frame, a few shoot newer APS-C models. They don't have a bunch of money for cameras, but truthfully their camera isn't terribly concerning to them at this point. They upgrade when they have to, otherwise, they make their gear work for them.

The folks who are argue are mainly hobbyists who spend time on DXO Mark studying graphs and have made up their mind about what is best.

I have no idea why this thread is still causing such angst. There is a specific thing the K3 II can do which is usable infrequently, but when it is usable, it is pretty impressive. That's really all there is to it.

This!

---------- Post added 11-30-15 at 12:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was just surfing this thread, looking for interesting stuff....(some would say I was lookin' for trouble, but I wasn't!) when I saw your comment. There is so much truth in your statement! I've said that many times but never in such a simple and complete way!

Several years ago I was walking around the square in our fairly small town snapping some historic sites, when I ran across an attractive young lady around19-20 with a new Canon Rebel. Never missing an opportunity to chat with a pretty young lady, I approached her and started a conversation. She was relatively new to photography, this was her first digital camera, and she was bubbling with excitement. We went to a local coffee shop where we were able to have a nice long discussion on photography, cameras, lenses, and future plans. My plan was pretty brief......I planned to shoot squirrels mostly, and a lot of them!
Her plan was to start a photography business and thrive at it. She laid it all out, and it sounded so much like hundreds of new and enthusiastic shooters we have all seen before. Big dreams, too often shot down by reality and a billion others that also have a camera and make you get lost int he crowd.

Fast forward two years later......I was walking on the square again, and I came across a new photo studio.......very nice and very busy. Went inside....yep, it was hers. We talked a while, she was booked up for months in advance, having the time of her life and had stolen most of the business for every other studio in town....some that had been here for decades. Her secret...other than being a most gifted shooter.....she was a Facebook Wizard! She had made so many connections with her bubbling personality and big smile that people would use her even if she used a disposable camera! Of course, nowadays she was a FF shooter, but not out of any necessity.

Reminds me of the old song......"Chantilly lace and a pretty face....."

Regards.......Now back to the thread in progress!

I can name them in every town I've lived in for the past 15 years.

I have always been Edward Thomas Photography, and that's the name of my Landscape print business, but our new local wedding business is "Sonnet photography." Gender neutral and my wife's name is billed first when we list photographers. Hopefully she can pull off the sales bit.

---------- Post added 11-30-15 at 12:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Someone with good social skills who lives in Whitney Ontario should reconsider their plan as well, not that we know anyone like that..

It is no use having social skills if there's no one to apply them to.

I talk to everyone I run into. The women who run the cash in the grocery store, the beer store and the post office... that's pretty much everyone.

Houston Texas, 10 years ago, you could throw business cards at the wall, have the social skills of Bad Santa, and book 45 weddings a year. Portland Oregon you could be God's gift to wedding photography, BE Martha Stewart, and book SOD ALL.

The new market I'm in is dicey, but it's worth a try, let you know by June!

---------- Post added 11-30-15 at 12:52 PM ----------

Oh but most pro should be able too. Nobody find it strange if a taxi driver consider buying a good car for it's job. Nobody find it strange that an hairdresser may need a mortage of many hundred thousand dollars to get a place to do its job. And now only the top 10 photographers in the world can buy a large format film body or a 645Z? Come on.

Not a chance. Most every Pro Photog I've ever know only spends money on WHAT THEY NEED to get the job done. Convince them they need it and they will buy it. Least amount of money spent getting the job done means more profit and that is inescapable math once you try to make a living at photography.

---------- Post added 11-30-15 at 12:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote

most photographers are amateurs or enthusiasts, they shoot entirely for themselves, a professional on the other hand must evolve with the times as they are mostly paid to shoot for clients, but they usually only require new gear if it starts having a detrimental effect on workflow and time (sure you can make some clients wait, but most work is to a press or publication deadline)

Absolutely. If I am shooting Pentax at a wedding and then I shoot a Nikon, and then a Canon at some weddings and my job is easier after 10 hours because one system I'm fighting the AF and flash all the time, I'm switching. Even if the IQ is marginally better. (I didn't say which system I'm switching from or too. )

As long as IQ is good enough to sell to the client.