Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have done this and I am also pretty bad at tech stuff.

Perhaps the concept of "extract" is the problem....all it means (on an Apple, anyway), is drag and drop (or copy or move) the file you have downloaded to your computer onto the formatted camera memory card you have placed into the computer's card reader slot . No need to open the file or do anything else with it. This stumped me for a while because I kept trying to open and extract....and I got the same sort of messsage you're getting.

Then just precisely follow the rest of the instructions re turning on the camera, having a fully charged battery, not interrupting the camera process etc and you'll be fine.

10-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #32
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for that explanation of "extract" is, in this case!

I really appreciate everyone's assistance & patience!
10-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Mark, this is so embarrassing for me; but what exactly do you mean by extracting the .bin file? When I click "extract" in 7-Zip, nothing happens. Do you mean to send this file, as is; to the SD card?

You can certainly see why I'm very, very hesitant to upgrade the firmware, when I frankly don't know what I'm doing.
Ok what I see here is probably a screen shot of 7 zip with the zip file in the target window. You need to high light the zip file and click extract and let the file extract to the desktop. Then you should have a copy of fwdc220.bin on your desktop. If you can't get the zip file to extract with 7 zip then Google and download TUGzip which is another free zip file archiving software, I use it and its good.

BTW, you've never said what firmware version you have now in the K-3.

Larry
10-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #34
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The firmware is only 1.110.

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Ok what I see here is probably a screen shot of 7 zip with the zip file in the target window. You need to high light the zip file and click extract and let the file extract to the desktop. Then you should have a copy of fwdc220.bin on your desktop.
That doesn't work. I'll try that other program later, I'm so frustrated right now, working on this to try to figure it out; that I cannot even concentrate.

10-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #35
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You are making this way harder than it needs to be.
First - what OS are you using? (where OS = Operating System ==> OSX, or Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8.x, 10) Linux).
Do you have a functioning card reader?

If the file is a self extracting file - double click on it and the .bin file will magically appear.

For a .zip file:
If you are on a PC running Windows (any flavor), open file explorer and select the Zip file.

Right Click on the file and choose "Extract" or some verbage like that. On Windows systems it will ask where you want the file extracted too - pick your desktop.

Put a freshly charged battery in your camera - I mean right off the charger.

Insert your SD card into the appropriate slot (I do not have a K3 so please review the threads above)

Format the SD card in your camera. Turn off your camera and remove the SD card.

Place the SD card into your card reader and insert it into your computer.

Using file explorer - copy the .bin file from your desktop to your SD card. You can do this by selecting the .bin file, right clicking and choosing copy. Then select your SD card - it should show up as an additional drive in file explorer. Right click and select "Paste".

Now, click on the SD card and you should see the .bin file, no searching required.

Using file explorer eject the SD card. (I assume you know how to do this because you have posted over 3,000 times and hopefully you know how to eject a SD card.)

Take the SD card out of the reader and insert it into the camera.

Turn on the camera while holding down the Menu button.

Follow the prompts, don't go tuning off the camera or anything, just sit on your hands and let the machine do its thing. This will not kill you.

After the camera is updated. Turn the camera off then back on and format the SD card.

If you are using a Mac the process of extracting the file should be similar, I am sure that OSX will extract files from zips.
If you are using Linux - go find the person who set it up and beat them with a blunt object for not giving you basic knowledge.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
10-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I found your problem Carol:
You are trying to extract the .bin file not the .zip folder.
If you go into "Downloads" (not in 7-zip but in the file explorer) right click the "k3_v121.zip" and select "7-zip" then "Extract Here".
After the file is done extracting:
Next find the file "fwdc220b.bin" in "Downloads" and move it to your "Desktop".
Turn on the camera and format the SD card (after copying images to computer). Put the SD card in your computer and move the file "fwdc220b.bin" from "Desktop" to your SD card do not put the file in a folder on the SD card.
Make sure camera battery is full.
Insert the SD card into slot 1 on your camera. Then (According to Ricoh page (I don't know as I don't have a K-3)):
Turn on the camera while holding the Menu button.
Move the controller to start then select OK.
"Now loading" appears on the camera screen.
DO NOT turn the camera off in any circumstance while it is loading.
"Complete" will display on the camera screen.
You can now turn the camera off and then format the SD card.

I was worried about updating the firmware on my K-50. I put it off for almost a year and then I did it, it worked fine and was done in under a minute - nothing to worry about :-)

I hope this helps!
10-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #37
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, I got as far as moving the bin file to the desktop; I dragged & dropped the file on the desktop from downloads; is this correct?

10-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Ok, I got as far as moving the bin file to the desktop; I dragged & dropped the file on the desktop from downloads; is this correct?
Great that's good!
The rest is pretty easy!
10-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now, so long as you don't turn off your K-3 when it's busy doing the upgrade, you should be fine!
10-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #40
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I really appreciate all the help here; it's very frustrating when one doesn't understand things like this. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to finish this, when I'm a little more alert.
10-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep...now drag and drop it onto your formatted camera memory card and follow the instructions from there. Your card will show up as an external drive, just like a USB or other drive does.
10-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Silly question, I'm sure; but I've never done this. How do I update the firmware in my new K3?
Carol,

What version do you have now and why do you want/need to upgrade?
10-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #43
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
carol,

what version do you have now and why do you want/need to upgrade?
v1.11

From PDL: " go find the person who set it up and beat them with a blunt object for not giving you basic knowledge."

Well, I would be beating myself up, as I'm self taught on the computer, and it shows. I'm running Vista.
10-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

v1.11

From PDL: " go find the person who set it up and beat them with a blunt object for not giving you basic knowledge."

Well, I would be beating myself up, as I'm self taught on the computer, and it shows. I'm running Vista.
Unless you are buying one of the new lenses, there is no need to upgrade. If it ain't broke ...

HD PENTAX-DA 18-50mmF4-5.6 DC WR RE, (not full frame)
HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mmF4.5-5.6ED DC AW
HD PENTAX-D FA ★70-200mmF2.8ED DC AW.

Last edited by lmd91343; 10-17-2015 at 10:42 PM.
10-18-2015, 12:12 AM   #45
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not a problem. My wife and I have 7 PC's and one of them is running Vista (since 2007). In fact, I used the Vista device to update the firmware on all three of my Pentax cameras, an *isDs, K10D and K20D. I also have several blunt sticks if you want to borrow one.

Once you get the process down for updating firmware, you just get used to it. I for one, always update firmware to the latest version. I have been burned over the years due to out of date firmware on multiple devices.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL