Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Updating firmware?

Silly question, I'm sure; but I've never done this. How do I update the firmware in my new K3?

10-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com
10-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!
10-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm having problems; I'm not computer savy. The file downloaded in a 7-Zip file manager:

wdc 220b.bin

I cannot open it, as per instructions show the two files.

I'm really afraid I might mess up my new K3, not knowing what I'm doing with this update!

10-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm having problems; I'm not computer savy. The file downloaded in a 7-Zip file manager:

wdc 220b.bin

I'm really afraid I might mess up my new K3, not knowing what I'm doing with this update!
Just make sure that file is placed in the root (top level) of the memory card in SD1, then turn the camera on and proceed to do the update.

The file has to be extracted, so you should see a .BIN file on the SD after you're done.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam, I cannot open/extract the file at all, in that 7-zip file manager. That's where it downloaded to, from the link.

I've always had a problem with zip files.
10-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Carol. The file that you want is the bin file. You want to use your 7-zip file manager to extract that file to a directory of your choice. Then copy that file to the top level of an SD card, i. e., , the bin file should not be within another folder. Then you follow the firmware update instructions. - Jack

10-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Updating firmware

Will any of the repair organizations take the responsibility of installing firm ware for you? I have sort of lost my appetite for doing it since bricking my
K-5II while following the precise recommended instructions and being without my camera for almost 6 months!
10-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jack, that's the problem, I cannot unzip the file. After reading the next member's post; I'm skipping the update, as I surely don't want to mess up my brand new K3.
10-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wdc 220b.bin

The self extracting zip file is k3_v121.zip, so If the file you have is Fwdc220b.bin it seems to me that you already have the extracted bin file.
Unless others can naysay this I would reckon you could put this (the .bin file) on an SD card and see if the camera recognises it as a legitimate update.
Please ensure that your battery is fully charged before trying to update, and don't go ahead if you are in doubt.

Cheers,
Terry
10-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Jack, that's the problem, I cannot unzip the file. After reading the next member's post; I'm skipping the update, as I surely don't want to mess up my brand new K3.
I just update my K3 from adorama, download WinRAR extrac the file, put the .bin on top level (format SD on K3 and copy the .bin), with the SD on slot1 power up yhe camera while holding the menu button, the battery must be at full charge, within a minute or two a very brief "complete" is showed.
10-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
download WinRAR extrac the file
I've got the file downloaded; I cannot extract it; that's the problem.
10-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've got the file downloaded; I cannot extract it; that's the problem.
WinRAR is a software, is virtually free google them download from the official page and install the software, once installed right click on the file, click on extract on same location and the .bin file will be given
10-16-2015, 08:24 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
How would this software be different from what I now have; 7-Zip?
10-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #15

firmware update

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Will any of the repair organizations take the responsibility of installing firm ware for you? I have sort of lost my appetite for doing it since bricking my
K-5II while following the precise recommended instructions and being without my camera for almost 6 months!
...I love Pentax,but a firmware update froze on my K-7 and bricked it???,they have to come up with something easier and more reliable!.I will never do it again!