Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3 II Memory Card Error

I've been testing a K-3 II for about five weeks and I've had an odd problem occur. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Periodically, and for no reason I've yet figured out, the camera turns on, says "Memory Card Error" and then only pretends to work. To resolve it, I have to remove the battery (the camera won't turn off), remove both SD cards, swap which slot they were in, reinstall the battery, and turn it back on. It works fine than for a while. This didn't happen until about the 2,500th frame. It's happened with increasing frequency since then and has resulted in a number of lost shots. On my last outing, I had to remove the battery and cards about every 100 frames or so. I also tried formatting the SD cards in the camera and that had no effect on improving the operation.

The K-3 II is shipping back in a few days, and it's not a camera I see any reason to get another copy of, but I'm curious id I just got a problem body or if this is a common issue.

This isn't related to the recall issue, is it? I don't think that this body's S/N is in the recall list.

10-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did and with the same result after a while. Also, it only happens in SD slot 1 and does not re-manifest when the same card is pout in slot 2 and the camera is set to write to slot 2.
10-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's probably all a part of the basic 'camera doesn't turn off' bug. That edition of the K-3 II firmware and electronics must be really messed up.
10-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

I had the same problem with my k3 I changed SD card brands
And I have never had the problem since
Neil

10-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Buy a couple of NEW SanDisk Extreme cards (from Adorama or BH, not gray market dealers) and see if the problem persists. If so, make a warranty claim!!
10-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #6

Haven't had this problem with mine. I'm just short of 1000 shots. haven't heard of this issue either. If you have to remove the battery because the camera won't turn off as well, I'd say it could be related to the "not turning off" issue with some cameras with serial number under 6206660 . The issue of not turning off when the switch is turned off is not a firmware problem, according to Pentax/Ricoh, it's hardware related and the camera can be adjusted/fixed to stop that issue.

Mine has a serial in the affected range, but did not have any problems to date. But I sent it to Australian Pentax importer, C.R.Kennedy last week with a Sigma 70-200F2.8-ll lens that wouldn't focus on the K3-ll, the lens needed a firmware update. They checked my K3-ll also, and said it was all good. Came back Monday with lens, all working fine. Great service by C.R.Kennedy I might add.

If you were keeping it, I'd have it checked/fixed.

I can't fault my K3-ll to date. Great camera.