Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

K3II froze up for the third time in 2 months

Hi. For the third time in two months my K3ii froze up.

I don't remember what I was doing the first time it froze but the second time I was just reviewing a photo and when I turned the wheel to magnify it, the camera stopped working just like in the video below.

This 3rd time I took a HDR3 photo and the "Data being processed" flashed and nothing else worked.

In every case the only solution was to remove the battery and insert it again.

My K3II is a wonderful camera but I hope this problem is something that can be solved via a firmware update

The battery used is the original Pentax. Video recorded with Pentax MX-1

HERE IS THE VIDEO:

10-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What kind of SD card are you using?
10-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Same with my K-3, firmware is not as stable as it used to be on my K-5. But it did not happen with HDR mode.
10-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
What kind of SD card are you using?
Lexar Professional 633x 32GB SDHC UHS-I/U3 Card

10-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
Lexar Professional 633x 32GB SDHC UHS-I/U3 Card

of course right after i went out of my way to say how i thought lexars performed more reliably than sandisks on the post about wd buying them out.

are you part of the recall serials... Ricoh addresses 'power off' issue on some Pentax K-3 II cameras: Digital Photography Review
10-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elementdtlop Quote
of course right after i went out of my way to say how i thought lexars performed more reliably than sandisks on the post about wd buying them out.

are you part of the recall serials... Ricoh addresses 'power off' issue on some Pentax K-3 II cameras: Digital Photography Review
No. I purchased my camera last month and its serial is way above 6206660. Thanks!
10-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised there haven't been any firmware updates AT ALL on this model.

Aside from the crashes there's at least one bug that needs fixin':

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/299486-k-3-ii-manual-lens-...en-button.html

And probably others!

10-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the grip, and you have selected to use one of the batteries first (not auto switching) the camera just stops working when the first battery is exhausted. You must turn the camera off and on again. I was bitten by this one 3 times with the K10D this year.
10-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you use you camera a lot, I would consider 3 freezes over a 2-month period to be normal. Be sure to keep your firmware up-to-date for the latest stability fixes (none have been released yet for the K-3 II).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-31-2015, 01:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you use you camera a lot, I would consider 3 freezes over a 2-month period to be normal. Be sure to keep your firmware up-to-date for the latest stability fixes (none have been released yet for the K-3 II).
Firmware hang can happen; it's not a big deal , it happens to me a few times. Only one time I did not appreciate that the camera hang just as I was being setting up for photographing a short time event, if the camera hang just at that moment you miss the shot. I never had any hang with the K200D, a few hangs with the K-5, but the K-3 seems to hang more easily, there are certain things you can do to make it hang, for example if you do between 5 and 10 depth of field preview (digital mode) in a row, the K-3 hangs, I can reproduce it at wish :-), but that's silly to do so.
10-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
I never had a similar problem with my ex Nikon cameras. I mainly use the K3II for product photography (pixel shift is superb!), so I can handle the problem. But as we all know, the time arrives when a friend or relative asks us to take pictures of an important even for them. I wouldn't like to have my camera froze at some important moment. I hope the Pentax guys come up with a solution for this.
10-31-2015, 07:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

That's really weird. I haven't really explored mine as I'm only about 300+ shutter counts. It's not normal to have that type of problem. I hope it's just your card and nothing to do with your camera. This is the first time I've heard of this problem. Keep us posted if you've found a solution.
10-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
That's really weird. I haven't really explored mine as I'm only about 300+ shutter counts. It's not normal to have that type of problem. I hope it's just your card and nothing to do with your camera. This is the first time I've heard of this problem. Keep us posted if you've found a solution.
As other members have said, the problem exists and as biz-engineer pointed, he can replicate the problem at will.
Sure, I will inform of any news totsmuyco.
Thanks to all.
11-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you use you camera a lot, I would consider 3 freezes over a 2-month period to be normal.
That was my initial experience with my K-3, though I hardly consider it "normal" unless you want to class dSLRs in with cell phones. I am pleased to state, however that my K-3 has been freeze-free for well over a year at present.

I never had a similar problem with my ex Nikon cameras.
OK...when Nikon has the feature you need, you can buy Nikon

as biz-engineer pointed, he can replicate the problem at will.
His claim (repeated digital DOF preview) is interesting. I had not heard that before and will have to try to give it a try. The times it happened for me was while doing burst shooting and moving back and forth frequently from review to capture modes. I always assumed it was some sort of buffer overflow problem that was included as a silent fix in a firmware update. BTW...are you able to "replicate the problem at will" on your camera? (biz-engineer has a K-3, not a K-3II.)

Since your camera is a recent purchase and still under warranty, may I suggest that bringing Ricoh/Pentax into the loop might be a good idea? Feedback from the field is an important component in the quality assurance loop and things that are not reported and do not occur in test harness NEVER get fixed.

Steve
11-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
OK...when Nikon has the feature you need, you can buy Nikon
Sure I will. That's why I purchased the K3II this time... It's pixel shift resolution feature is great for my product photography jobs. Besides, I have some good Nikon lenses too

BTW...are you able to "replicate the problem at will" on your camera? (biz-engineer has a K-3, not a K-3II.)
I have just tried it doing up to 12 fast previews but everything was fine.

Since your camera is a recent purchase and still under warranty, may I suggest that bringing Ricoh/Pentax into the loop might be a good idea? Feedback from the field is an important component in the quality assurance loop and things that are not reported and do not occur in test harness NEVER get fixed.

Unfortunately I'm not in the US and as I said, I'm currently doing product photography and I can handle the problem in studio situations.
I'll be reporting of any other occurrence of this problem.
Regards!