Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #1

Pentax K-3 II electronic front curtain shutter?

I am looking into the Pentax K3 II to replace my aging Canon 550D. However, there are a couple of points for which I am not been able to obtain information searching around the internet.

Currently I am using my Canon for mineral macrophotography, for this purpose the camera is mounted on a bellows and microscope objectives are used to obtain the needed magnification. The camera is also used for photomicrography, being attached to a microscope with a relevant adapter. As many other Canon models, the 550D uses a EFCS when shooting in live view mode, thus eliminating / minimizing the vibrations produced by the shutter mechanism.

I understand that the Pentax K3 II uses an electronic shutter while set on the Pixel Shift mode, otherwise it could not render the high definition pictures that this mode is aiming for. What I am not able to find out is if this electronic shutter can be enable under conditions other than Pixel Shift, nor I get information about the K3 II using a EFCS mode on Live View . Does anybody owning this camera can share information about this?

Thanks for your help.

11-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no dedicated setting for EFCS (electronic front curtain shutter for those who are wondering) on any Pentax camera as far as I'm aware. I'm not even sure that EFCS is used for pixel shifting; perhaps it is under the hood, but I'm thinking the camera just pauses slightly before beginning the exposure.

In live view I know the mirror stays up on the K-3 family of cameras, but I do believe the shutter operates conventionally. I'll have to check to make sure.

We could speculate that perhaps the SR mechanism manages to fully eliminate any vibrations caused by the shutter...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In live view I know the mirror stays up on the K-3 family of cameras, but I do believe the shutter operates conventionally. I'll have to check to make sure.
Yes, the shutter operation is conventional on the K-3 in live view.

Steve
11-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is no dedicated setting for EFCS (electronic front curtain shutter for those who are wondering) on any Pentax camera as far as I'm aware. I'm not even sure that EFCS is used for pixel shifting; perhaps it is under the hood, but I'm thinking the camera just pauses slightly before beginning the exposure.

We could speculate that perhaps the SR mechanism manages to fully eliminate any vibrations caused by the shutter...

Page 99 of the K3 II manual state : "Shutter: Type: Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter.
* Electronic shutter is used for Pixel Shift Resolution."

Thus is clear that the K3 II has the capability of using an electronic shutter. However, it is not clear if it can be enable at will. Likewise, it looks like there is an electronic curtain shutter, but there is no indication on how to make a good use of this function.

It is a pity that while cameras, and any other gadget, become more and more technology laden, the manuals are increasingly vague.

10-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that EFCS has been enabled in K-1 for live-view shooting, is there any likelihood that the K-3 II will see a similar firmware update, or are there known reasons why that won't happen?

Cheers,
Terry
10-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I think the K-3 II doesn't have visible shutter vibrations.
10-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisfer Quote
I think the K-3 II doesn't have visible shutter vibrations.

Exactly.

36 mp's is UNFORGIVING of even the slightest transgressions.

10-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #8

I can only speak about the K3, but here is my situation:

I was trying to digitize slides with a macro extension tube and had to use long shutter times (around 6s). So I used the 2s mirror lockup function. It is not an EFCS but the vibration induced by the shutter's blade are almost inexistant, even at relatively high magnification (close to 1:1) and on a flimsy tripod.

You can see the result here: absolutely no motion blur.
04-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #9

small correction.... The manual page is 97 on both my physical manual and pdf manual. No biggie
09-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #10

Electronic shutter would be welcome anyway... It has more advantages then being vibration free.
Being silent for instance... And AFAIK electronic shutters can go faster than conventional mechanical shutters. Isnt it?
09-10-2017, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
Electronic shutter would be welcome anyway... It has more advantages then being vibration free.
Being silent for instance... And AFAIK electronic shutters can go faster than conventional mechanical shutters. Isnt it?
Because the pixels take an amount of time for the voltages to decay, the pictures are subject to distortion when there's movement, banding under fluorescent light, and the rolling shutter can be incompatible with flash photography.

Example I shot at a race: