Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
need to "wake up" auto focus

When I have my auto focus on continuous, I constantly have to "wake up" the continuous auto focus by lifting my finger off and on the shutter. It this normal? I have the auto focus point on center and the hold feature turned off.

Thanks

Randy

11-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Forum Member

Yes, if you have Auto Power OFF setting at ¨ON¨ (1 min, 3 min etc), camera enter in mode ¨sleep and need to be
¨awake¨ (with an input - ON/OFF on the shutter, on the AF if you have focus relocated, etc)

Last edited by Claudiu; 11-09-2015 at 02:13 PM.
11-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Claudiu Quote
Yes, if you have Auto Power OFF setting at ¨ON¨ (1 min, 3 min etc), camera enter in mode ¨sleep and need to be
¨awake¨ (with an input - ON/OFF on the shutter, on the AF if you have focus relocated, etc)
Thank you but I am a little confused on how to solve this issue. The camera is awake the whole time it is just the auto focus stops focusing after having the shutter pushed halfway down after a few seconds

Randy
11-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Thank you but I am a little confused on how to solve this issue. The camera is awake the whole time it is just the auto focus stops focusing after having the shutter pushed halfway down after a few seconds

Randy
so like it focus confirms then doesn't continue to refocus the subject or it searches what seems like the entire focus throw and gives up never hitting focus? if the former, why? is it not focusing the spot you want it to or are you waiting for the opportune time sand want it to continually refocus? if so you might have to re-half press to refocus it once again after it hit its mark. I'm not sure though from memory.

11-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elementdtlop Quote
so like it focus confirms then doesn't continue to refocus the subject or it searches what seems like the entire focus throw and gives up never hitting focus? if the former, why? is it not focusing the spot you want it to or are you waiting for the opportune time sand want it to continually refocus? if so you might have to re-half press to refocus it once again after it hit its mark. I'm not sure though from memory.
Thanks for the reply. When I stand in one spot with the button half way down and then move to different spots in the view finder, the auto focus will track the different subjects for usually around 5 seconds then stops tracking the different things I am focusing on. Some times it goes longer but most of the time it is 5 seconds or less. Once it stops tracking the focus will be on the last subject it locked on to and stop focusing until I lift my finger off of the shutter then push it back to halfway down...then it will track a bit then I have to do the same thing over again

Hope this makes sense

Thanks so far for the help

Randy
11-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #6
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Thanks for the reply. When I stand in one spot with the button half way down and then move to different spots in the view finder, the auto focus will track the different subjects for usually around 5 seconds then stops tracking the different things I am focusing on. Some times it goes longer but most of the time it is 5 seconds or less. Once it stops tracking the focus will be on the last subject it locked on to and stop focusing until I lift my finger off of the shutter then push it back to halfway down...then it will track a bit then I have to do the same thing over again

Hope this makes sense

Thanks so far for the help

Randy
I know what you mean and have noticed the same thing. There is some very useful information on the K3 AF-c behavior in this thread, definitely worth a read:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/305681-increasing-af-speed...ware-both.html

My thoughts are that if the AF system does not need to adjust focus for a set time then it does seem to "go to sleep" and you have to reactivate it with the shutter or back button. According to the thread I linked the AF-C system works from comparing in and out of focus areas so depth of field may be a key issue. I do seem to notice this - not conclusive, but I seem to find the AF system generally more responsive using my 55-300 at the long end. The red in focus dots in the viewfinder sparkle as the camera tracks focus.