Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
E dial customization

Hi
I have a K3 that is usually shoot in aperture priority mode. I find this really weird, if you run your aperture off the back e dial, the exposure comp, and ISO are also set by the back dial when you press the corresponding button from factory. If I move aperture to front e dial the exposure comp and ISO stay on the back. In shutter priority the shutter speed is set to the front dial from factory, and the exposure comp and ISO are on the back dial. I know I can program the front dial in aperture priority to either the exposure comp or ISO, is there a way I can press the corresponding button and have the front dial run that setting while keeping the aperture on the back dial. That way it is the same as shooting in manual or shutter/aperture mode?

Thank you

Evan

11-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have mine set to have ISO on the front dial in all modes. The back dial is aperture in Av mode, shutter speed in Tv.

I like consistency, so I know ISO is always front, and whatever make s sense for the mode I'm in is on the back.
11-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You can't use the front dial in combination with ISO- and exp comp buttons AFAIK. IMO it's easier to use real dial in combination with ISO- and exp comp buttons.

I have my camera set up so I always control aperture and shutter speed with same controls in all modes (where possible),
So all modes works the same way. Rear dial control aperture and front dial control shutter speed.

In M mode rear dial control aperture, front dial control shutter speed. ISO is controlled by ISO button and rear dial.
In TAv mode rear dial control aperture, front dial control shutter speed. ISO is controlled automatically.
in Av the rear dial control aperture, front dial is set to exp comp which control SS. ISO is controlled by ISO button and rear dial.
in Tv the rear dial is set to exp comp which control aperture, front dial control SS. ISO is controlled by ISO button and rear dial.

I have also turned off memory for ISO and exp comp, so both are reset to default when switching on the camera (auto for ISO and zero for exp comp).

Last edited by Fogel70; 11-11-2015 at 08:24 PM.
11-12-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks jatrax and Fogel70 for the tips. I was just wondering if there was a way to link those two buttons to the front dial. I have
my K3 set pretty close to the same way you do Fogel70, but I'm going to have to check the memory setting for exposure comp so it doesn't stay set, that might be turned on.

11-13-2015, 12:26 AM   #5

You can also hold the button while rotating the e-dial to change the setting. If you do that it makes a lot more sense to use the real e-dial to change the setting as holding the button and using the front e-dial is awkward, to say the least.

I always use this hold-and-adjust method so to me it's consistent. If I need to use a button to change something, it's always on the back of the camera.