Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3II can't select SD card slot to use

Apparently the K-3II has the same lame choices for use of the card slots.

You cannot change from one slot to the other anywhere in the menus. I have a Flucard, and prefer when I'm not using it to fill SD1, the non Flucard shot, first. But if I remove the SD1 to transfer files, and happen to fire up the camera with just a card in SD2, it will continue to write to SD2 until I take THAT card out and force it to write to SD1 again.

How do I complain to Ricoh to get them to just add the ability to choose which card to write to?

11-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Yes, it works the same as on the K-3 and the 645Z. No, it is not super intuitive and no, it does not support a free selection of where/how to write. To complain to Ricoh, I used to suggest their online response form, but given the current state of their U.S. Web site I suspect that will be no help. You might want to hazard joining their online forum and posting a rant (suggestion) there. Ricoh does not monitor Pentax Forums, but they may do a better job on their own turf.

Home - RIAC Community

Steve
11-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
it does not support a free selection of where/how to write.
It is a very annoying feature too.

I wonder if there is some engineering logic to the restricted way Pentax have implemented this? I can't see any, but I presume it was a choice they explicitly made.

What they have done breaks card-to-card overflow too, so there is a lot to dislike about it.
11-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, it works the same as on the K-3 and the 645Z. No, it is not super intuitive and no, it does not support a free selection of where/how to write. To complain to Ricoh, I used to suggest their online response form, but given the current state of their U.S. Web site I suspect that will be no help. You might want to hazard joining their online forum and posting a rant (suggestion) there. Ricoh does not monitor Pentax Forums, but they may do a better job on their own turf.

Home - RIAC Community

Steve
Given the state of their current site I don't think they monitor that either

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Given the state of their current site I don't think they monitor that either
I wrote a snarky post about the lack of Ricoh presence there, and lo and behold someone replied. So I think someone is now monitoring it. I posted my card swap beef there; we'll see.

And to add to my complaint, for those using Flucards what is the best workaround to switch from writing sequential RAW to slot2 to JPEGs to only the Flucard, which must be in slot 1? It appears that pulling the card from slot 2 and switching to JPEG is the only way? could it be that lame?
11-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There appears to be an option to change which card is written to in movie mode. That seems to indicate they thought about this need in that context at least.

In practice I think that pulling a card out as you indicated is the only way to switch this right now.
11-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There's an even more annoying slot issue for me than clumsy slot selection... because yesterday I quickly grabbed my K-3 to fire off a nice burst of 20 plane shots, forgetting that earlier I'd been doing some housekeeping on my SD cards in the PC and they were still, er, in the PC!

20 shots, no SD cards, no photos! And the darned thing let me do it!!! So I checked my K-5 - it's the same. Can't quite see the point of being able to fire off shots when there's no card in the camera - or have I missed a setting, or something?

07-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote

You cannot change from one slot to the other anywhere in the menus. I have a Flucard, and prefer when I'm not using it to fill SD1, the non Flucard shot, first. But if I remove the SD1 to transfer files, and happen to fire up the camera with just a card in SD2, it will continue to write to SD2 until I take THAT card out and force it to write to SD1 again.

How do I complain to Ricoh to get them to just add the ability to choose which card to write to?

Well, this is a bit annoying to shut down + remove + turn on + reinsert etc etc... I know that trick since the K-3.

To me , the simplest and most intuitive way to implement that card slot switch in the software , would be to use the "Card slot switch button" (that allow to switch in playback mode) in combination with the front e-dial, but in normal shooting mode... should be pretty easy to code that in a future software. I don't know why they did not already did it in the K-3...

---------- Post added 2016-07-16 at 10:21 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
There's an even more annoying slot issue for me than clumsy slot selection... because yesterday I quickly grabbed my K-3 to fire off a nice burst of 20 plane shots, forgetting that earlier I'd been doing some housekeeping on my SD cards in the PC and they were still, er, in the PC!

20 shots, no SD cards, no photos! And the darned thing let me do it!!! So I checked my K-5 - it's the same. Can't quite see the point of being able to fire off shots when there's no card in the camera - or have I missed a setting, or something?
Yes this is another thing easy to implement...
Canon has a warning...
I tend to always leave one SD in the camera to prevent that...
07-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Well, this is a bit annoying to shut down + remove + turn on + reinsert etc etc... I know that trick since the K-3.

To me , the simplest and most intuitive way to implement that card slot switch in the software , would be to use the "Card slot switch button" (that allow to switch in playback mode) in combination with the front e-dial, but in normal shooting mode... should be pretty easy to code that in a future software. I don't know why they did not already did it in the K-3...

---------- Post added 2016-07-16 at 10:21 ----------

Yes this is another thing easy to implement...
Canon has a warning...
I tend to always leave one SD in the camera to prevent that...
That's odd. My K-3 yelps and complains if I have even one card missing (mine writes raw to one, jpg to the other.