Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRCDH Quote
MikeV, thanks for the feedback; I am generally very careful with my equipment, but one lapse in attention could cause a problem (ie camera on strap and the screen rubbing against some sharp object on ones clothing (buttons, belt buckle, etc). I just like the peace of mind that the screen has protection for it has served me well on my other cameras. Thanks for your suggestion.

---------- Post added 11-18-15 at 04:38 PM ----------

MasMax, I read the description on Amazon and it sounds very interesting. How long have you had it on your K3 and how is it holding up (ends secure etc). Thanks again for the suggestion.
I've had it for about 3 months and as I mentioned on my first post, I actually have to look a few times to check it is still there. No peeling, no borders are lifting up, all is perfect.
But please keep in mind that this is a film, it is not a hard glass protector.
Even though I pamper my cameras, the other day I was at the dog park and one of my dogs was going to get into a fight with a large Rottweiler; my first reaction, as both dogs where racing towards each other, was to dive head first and grab my dog and try as best as I could to protect him from the other dogs attack and pray that the other owner could control his dog before he reached us. Lucky for me the owner was able to grab his dog in time. But in the meantime I had already taken a few tumbles on the ground while trying to control my dog and all this while I had my K-3 hanging from my neck via the strap.
To make a long story short, my camera took a few hard hits, especially on the rear part of the body so I was sure that at best my camera was all scratched up and that the rear screen was either broken or it had some deep scratches.
After cleaning the camera the only damage I found on the body was a small scrape mark on the bottom and some small scratches on the front of the lens, almost on the edge.
When I started to remove all the dry dust and small pebbles from the rear of the camera I was surprised to find that the film protector was still attached to the screen and with no apparent damage at all besides the dust.
So all in all, I think that this screen protector is excellent or I must be the luckiest guy in the world.
BTW, I still have the same protector on both my rear and top screen.
If you do decide to purchase the Vikuiti screen protector go check this page since this seller lists all the different options available for this protector; personally I bought the Vikuiti ADQC27 since it is clear, I don’t think the seller is in the US but I was able to get the product number of the option that I wanted and with that info I searched Amazon and ordered it from them: Bedifol GmbH | Screen Protectors

Hope this helps you out and best of luck..any other info you need please let me know.

11-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #17
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used these on my K20D, K-5, MX-1, and now two K-3s. They are great, and the 1mm difference is not a problem. Mine are slightly smaller than the glass screen and it is really no problem at all.
11-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, glad you, your dog & your K3 survived! That's pretty scary!
11-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Wow, glad you, your dog & your K3 survived! That's pretty scary!
Thank you Carol, it sure was an experience that I'm not looking forward to reliving again any time soon but then again, I love my dogs and would do anything for them.

11-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Same here, I'd do anything to protect my yellow lab, Juneau!

Cameras can be replaced, our beloved dogs cannot be replaced; so glad you had a happy ending!
11-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MasMax Quote
I've had it for about 3 months and as I mentioned on my first post, I actually have to look a few times to check it is still there. No peeling, no borders are lifting up, all is perfect.
But please keep in mind that this is a film, it is not a hard glass protector.
Even though I pamper my cameras, the other day I was at the dog park and one of my dogs was going to get into a fight with a large Rottweiler; my first reaction, as both dogs where racing towards each other, was to dive head first and grab my dog and try as best as I could to protect him from the other dogs attack and pray that the other owner could control his dog before he reached us. Lucky for me the owner was able to grab his dog in time. But in the meantime I had already taken a few tumbles on the ground while trying to control my dog and all this while I had my K-3 hanging from my neck via the strap.
To make a long story short, my camera took a few hard hits, especially on the rear part of the body so I was sure that at best my camera was all scratched up and that the rear screen was either broken or it had some deep scratches.
After cleaning the camera the only damage I found on the body was a small scrape mark on the bottom and some small scratches on the front of the lens, almost on the edge.
When I started to remove all the dry dust and small pebbles from the rear of the camera I was surprised to find that the film protector was still attached to the screen and with no apparent damage at all besides the dust.
So all in all, I think that this screen protector is excellent or I must be the luckiest guy in the world.
BTW, I still have the same protector on both my rear and top screen.
If you do decide to purchase the Vikuiti screen protector go check this page since this seller lists all the different options available for this protector; personally I bought the Vikuiti ADQC27 since it is clear, I don’t think the seller is in the US but I was able to get the product number of the option that I wanted and with that info I searched Amazon and ordered it from them: Bedifol GmbH | Screen Protectors

Hope this helps you out and best of luck..any other info you need please let me know.
The story with the dogs and your relatively new camera had me cringing. I will stay away from dog fights for sure now. Thanks for the feedback.
11-19-2015, 01:34 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using the ACMAXX on my K-3 (both top and back LCD) since Spring of 2014. I am pleased with its performance, though it is getting a little scratched up as of late. Better the cover than the screen, I say.

My only complaint is that it took several tries with back and forth with the vendor to get one that actually fit. There is an old thread on this site that details my travails on the matter. I wish I had kept a record of the final size that worked so I could share it here, but I did not

Steve

11-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have been using the ACMAXX on my K-3 (both top and back LCD) since Spring of 2014. I am pleased with its performance, though it is getting a little scratched up as of late. Better the cover than the screen, I say.

My only complaint is that it took several tries with back and forth with the vendor to get one that actually fit. There is an old thread on this site that details my travails on the matter. I wish I had kept a record of the final size that worked so I could share it here, but I did not

Steve
This is the one I ordered:

ACMAXX 3 2" Hard LCD Screen Armor Protector Pentax K3 K 3 K3D D DSLR Body Kit | eBay
11-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
csa, I went to the site that you referenced and there was an interesting piece of information:

ACMAXX 3.2” HARD LCD SCREEN ARMOR PROTECTOR SCRATCH PROOF UV COATING

FOR Pentax K-3

*K3 body is curve designed so main Lcd screen will be 1mm smaller each side than full screen area*
*This way protector can be sealed and keep dust/water out*

With a curve that would help explain why the screen could fit even if the measurement was 1mm smaller. I will contact the seller and get some additional feedback; I would really like to use the ACMAXX because it appears to be a quality product. Thanks for the additional input and the reference it was very helpful.
11-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought mine on Amazon, but I suspect they are from the same vendor in California. With any luck they have their act together now. A correct fit will not have gaps and will set into the bevel of the LCD cutout.

Steve
11-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #26

Here is another choice.Amazon.com : Expert Shield *Lifetime Guarantee* - THE Screen Protector for: (Pentax K-3 K3 2 Piece Set Crystal Clear) : Camera & Photo It seems to work fine and was easy to install. It also includes a cover for the top LCD screen. The instruction sheet was the most complete and humorous of any product I have seen.
11-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GSWayne Quote
Here is another choice.Amazon.com : Expert Shield *Lifetime Guarantee* - THE Screen Protector for: (Pentax K-3 K3 2 Piece Set Crystal Clear) : Camera & Photo It seems to work fine and was easy to install. It also includes a cover for the top LCD screen. The instruction sheet was the most complete and humorous of any product I have seen.
GS, thanks for you feedback; I checkout the product on Amazon and it sounds workable and there were many favorable feedbacks.
11-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All I can say, from experience, the ACMAXX works beautifully on my K3, both the back & top LCD's. It has a nice trim around it that makes it look part of the camera, not just an add-on.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes ACMAXX has been excellent on Pentax Cameras for years.
11-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
All I can say, from experience, the ACMAXX works beautifully on my K3, both the back & top LCD's. It has a nice trim around it that makes it look part of the camera, not just an add-on.
CSA, thank you for the additional update and picture; I finally got up the courage to go with the ACMAXX based on your and other endorsements of the product and I concur that it fits like a glove and does add to the overall appearance of the camera. Whatever sticking material they us is really quite strong because initially the screen was going on slightly crooked, to lift it off carefully took a bit of effort, even when it only slightly touched the surface. All's well that ends well, the back and top protectors are on now and look great as if they were part of the camera design. Thank you one and all for your input. The responses that I have gotten on this website are wonderful; this is truly an international community of Pentaxians willing to help in detail when it is needed!!! Maybe someday the entire world will adopt the Pentaxian philosophy.

Last edited by MRCDH; 11-20-2015 at 11:41 AM.