Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #1

bright, portrait, landscape, vibrant, radiant, muted, bleach bypass, reversal film??

The manual is pretty vague on what the modes do and I have no idea when to use what for what. For example does bright to make the photos brighter in a dim room or is it to be used in bright conditions? Is there a primer somewhere on when to use what setting?

11-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I got my K3, I took photos using all these, to see what they were like, and which I preferred. I think mostly, it's up to an individual's "taste".
11-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by charchri4 Quote
The manual is pretty vague on what the modes do and I have no idea when to use what for what. For example does bright to make the photos brighter in a dim room or is it to be used in bright conditions? Is there a primer somewhere on when to use what setting?
They are all just slight alterations in saturation, contrast and other minor things. You can use any of them at anytime. I find bright to be to saturated and contrasty for my liking. When I shoot jpegs, I prefer the natural setting. However, I usually shoot DNG where these have no effect.
11-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can preview each of those "custom" modes in camera before use. As noted above, they apply mostly to JPEG shooting and only apply to RAW files if you are using the the Pentax software provided with your camera.

Steve

11-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
Oh well now I feel much better!!! I shoot DNG unless I am doing something that I know will fill the card like a sporting event. Then I shoot DNG and a small jpg to be able to quickly thumb through them. Bringing 800 DNGs into light room is met with extreme protest from my computer!
11-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's an old posting from me on the topic:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/235938-pentax-k30-im...ml#post2498066

Regards,
--Anders.
11-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You can preview each of those "custom" modes in camera before use. As noted above, they apply mostly to JPEG shooting and only apply to RAW files if you are using the the Pentax software provided with your camera.

Steve
You know, I only found out yesterday that the JPEG settings get carried over to the RAW file for development in Digital Camera Utility. Pretty cool

11-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
Oh wait I must have misunderstood. I thought I read they did not apply to raw but it sounds like I turned that around. OK off to read the K30 post.
11-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh wait I must have misunderstood. I thought I read they did not apply to raw but it sounds like I turned that around. OK off to read the K30 post.
Jim - they don't apply to RAW as such - the RAW image simply stores the in-camera JPEG settings so that if you load the RAW file into Pentax's Digital Camera Utility, you can apply the settings you had dialled in. If you load the RAW into Lightroom, for instance, you don't get those JPEG settings... Sorry if I confused the issue!
11-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, they apply mostly to JPEG shooting and only apply to RAW files if you are using the the Pentax software provided with your camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
the RAW image simply stores the in-camera JPEG settings so that if you load the RAW file into Pentax's Digital Camera Utility, you can apply the settings you had dialled in.
I don't think Silkypix that came with my K-30 can do this, but I've just got a K-3 with DCU5 and I'd like to try it. Can someone explain how to apply the in-camera jpg setttings to a DNG file using DCU5?
11-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #11

Original Poster
I take it DCU5 is some sort of photo processing software?
11-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Digital Camera Utility 5, it comes with the K-3 on a disk.

Please correct me if I am miles in the wrong direction
11-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Digital Camera Utility 5, it comes with the K-3 on a disk.

Please correct me if I am miles in the wrong direction
You're quite right
11-21-2015, 05:14 AM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Can someone explain how to apply the in-camera jpg setttings to a DNG file using DCU5?
I think I have answered my own question.

In DCU, select the RAW file, click the Laboratory button (top left). Then in the box on the right, select the Custom Image tab. Clicking the unlabelled button on the top left of the Custom Image box brings up a drop-down list of all the jpg presets in the camera (Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, etc). Selecting one treats the RAW file to same processing as the in-camera jpg processing. Individual settings (Saturation, Hue, Contrast, Sharpness, WB, Exposure, etc) can then be adjusted as desired, with the buttons and sliders in the Custom Image, White Balance and Exposure/Tone tab. When done, click File | Save as with image processing, name the file, select the file type (jpg, tiff) and click Save. The program then outputs the processed image in the chosen format.
11-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I take it DCU5 is some sort of photo processing software?
Yes it is. All of these settings are available there. So install it on your computer, look a some RAW files and change settings to look at the effect. I actually use the program as it seems to do a lot of what I need to have done and it is free with the camera.